Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*SNIP* warns of future attacks if Muhammad is mocked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Does anyone really know what Mohammed looks like?

No. Even when he was alive depictions of him were forbidden. Ironically, he was eventually executed for depicting himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Sick of these people shoving their religion down people's throats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 caorach_mor

All organized religions should be systematically removed from society in my opinion.

Except Hare Krishna's, they are f**king cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

seanaway wrote: »
    Just been reading the news reports from around the world.
    Anyone here seen any reports of people in the streets in any muslim country showing solidarity for France?

Genuine question here and I'm NOT trying to make a point other than there were/are plenty of people on the streets supporting Palestinians, Iraqies, Syrians etc... in Paris and other western cities.

Just wondered if there is any reciprocation of solidarity. Hope so because it will be a real negative if there haven't been any.

And yes there were statements from Arab League leaders etc... but I'm talking about people on the streets.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/01/car-bomb-explodes-outside-yemen-police-centre-2015175443717838.html

How many were out protesting in solidarity at the car bomb that killed three times as many people in Yemen on the same day?

Whilst this attack in Paris is horrendous, gruesome and utterly contemptible, worse attacks happen on a daily basis in the arab world.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

All organized religions should be systematically removed from society in my opinion.

Yes, that worked out well under Stalin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

We have it because we have politicians and others who like to think they are liberal and multicultural.

In fact, they know bugger all about either and go around trying to tell everyone we should copy the mistakes made by others. Then they call people ignorant if they express opinions which don't reflect their own new found 'beliefs'.

They made a mess of Britain with all that clap trap - as can be witnessed by the loony on rte tonight.

What!?

The blasphemy law is crazy right winger stuff :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Does anyone really know what Mohammed looks like?

at this stage the odd bone frgment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Haha and you're probably one of the loons bleating about free speech. You guys crack me up :D:D
    free speech has its limits when you demand the murder and wholesale slaughter of people who hold different views from yourself
    that is what Choudery does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    free speech has its limits when you demand the murder and wholesale slaughter of people who hold different views from yourself
    that is what Choudery does

He should be allowed do that until he is blue in the face, to let others see what a nut he is. If you shut him up it radicalises him and some of his supporters, which may lead to his ridiculous words being transferred into deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/01/car-bomb-explodes-outside-yemen-police-centre-2015175443717838.html

How many were out protesting in solidarity at the car bomb that killed three times as many people in Yemen on the same day?

Whilst this attack in Paris is horrendous, gruesome and utterly contemptible, worse attacks happen on a daily basis in the arab world.

I don't think you got my point. I was asking about people sympathising with France.

The car bomb in Yemen is intra-muslim -horrendous and disgusting. It was not a bomb planted by Christians against Muslims for saying something about Jesus.

No one in the west would condone such an attack and there would be public outrage and demonstartons suppportng muslims if that were to happen. As there were supporting Iraq and Palestine.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    What!?

The blasphemy law is crazy right winger stuff :confused:
    You agree with me so.

My point is the law should be removed. It is supported by those I mentioned. Listen to the nut on Prime time last night. He'd love the chance to stir it up by bringing a case. Foment division and step into the resulting chaos.

Hitler did it, Stalin did it, The Taliban did it ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'll leave you to your childish pleasures so.

I love your derision of so-called childishness, whilst simultaneously replying in a manner akin to "it's my ball and if you don't let me win, I'm taking it home with me". You seem unwilling (or unable) to back up your own points and analogies, which is fine, so I suppose it's best to hold onto your ball. I'll hold onto my views of not wanting people kicked out of the country for simply having a different opinion.

Standman wrote: »
    No. Even when he was alive depictions of him were forbidden. Ironically, he was eventually executed for depicting himself.
    I thought he was poisened after eating a bit of lamb. Woman poisened him.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I love your derision of so-called childishness, whilst simultaneously replying in a manner akin to "it's my ball and if you don't let me win, I'm taking it home with me". You seem unwilling (or unable) to back up your own points and analogies, which is fine, so I suppose it's best to hold onto your ball. I'll hold onto my views of not wanting people kicked out of the country for simply having a different opinion.

I think if you read the interactions carefully it was you who brought in 'little victory' type talk. I don't believe in point scoring/keeping. Mature discussion is about expression and persuasion.

Your statement clearly showed you see it as a game to be won or lost. Hence the childishness.

I treat your opinions to be as equally valid as mine. I wasn't asking for everyone who expresses a different opinion to be kicked out.

It is those who chose to come to Ireland for a better life becasue of our freedoms and then want those freedoms removed I was aiming at.

If you come because of the freedoms then don't expect us to remove them to suit your warped philosophy of life so that you can condone the cold blooded massacre of talented innocent civilians.

If they really believe that everyone should be able to change teh way an adopted country should behave, let's start with the countries they come from. Maybe start with the Vatican funding a church in Mecca.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is simple, just draw pictures of Muhammad's wife playing with other children.

Mrs Muhammad with friends,and show them being supervised by adults.

...and use it as an ad against child trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Heard the tale end of an interview on REDfm between some spokesman for Islam and that bollix Neil Prenderville,crazy stuff,sodomy and adultery would be punished by death if we are under sharia law etc, But how representable are these spokesmen of the every day views of 1.8 billion Muslims?? are they a bit like a Catholic Bishop insisting that Church law is above Irish law??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Is Snip a new terrorist orgnastion?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

kingchess wrote: »
    Heard the tale end of an interview on REDfm between some spokesman for Islam and that bollix Neil Prenderville,crazy stuff,sodomy and adultery would be punished by death if we are under sharia law etc, But how representable are these spokesmen of the every day views of 1.8 billion Muslims?? are they a bit like a Catholic Bishop insisting that Church law is above Irish law??

The stats in this pew poll posted in another thread don't make for pleasant reading
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93757303&postcount=176

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So... religious figure promises future attacks if free speech is kept?

Ask him to watch Father Ted, tbh. Actually, imagine a Father Ted sketch done with two Islamic imams? That'd probably send them over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭pah

Surely the blasphemy law in this country refers to Christianity and attempting to use said law in reference to Islam and Mohammad is in itself blasphemous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pah wrote: »
    Surely the blasphemy law in this country refers to Christianity and attempting to use said law in reference to Islam and Mohammad is in itself blasphemous?

As much as I disagree with the blasphemy law restricting it to only cover the certain religions we like is a ridiculous notion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

pah wrote: »

And pretty sure Allah and Jehovah are the same (fictional) chap, Jesus and Mohammed are considered divine prophets in Islam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Well we don't live in the arab world ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

With this defense I'm not sure why we're too worried. Surely we have a "few reasonable people"

https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?mid=54533e30-c843-e311-8571-005056a32ee4

Finally, it is a defence to the crime to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.

bjork wrote: »
    With this defense I'm not sure why we're too worried. Surely we have a "few reasonable people"

https://www.constitution.ie/AttachmentDownload.ashx?mid=54533e30-c843-e311-8571-005056a32ee4

Finally, it is a defence to the crime to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.

Of course it is a defence. But the Irish media are not willing to risk their wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just been reading the news reports from around the world.
    Anyone here seen any reports of people in the streets in any muslim country showing solidarity for France?

Genuine question here and I'm NOT trying to make a point other than there were/are plenty of people on the streets supporting Palestinians, Iraqies, Syrians etc... in Paris and other western cities.

Just wondered if there is any reciprocation of solidarity. Hope so because it will be a real negative if there haven't been any.

And yes there were statements from Arab League leaders etc... but I'm talking about people on the streets.

Nearly every major Arab countries media has come out and condemned the attacks.

We don't go marching outside the Mexico embassy every week after a massacre happens there.

drumswan wrote: »
    And pretty sure Allah and Jehovah are the same (fictional) chap, Jesus and Mohammed are considered divine prophets in Islam

Tempted to do the 'He said Jehovah - stome him' piece but

The difference between the two is that Jehovah did not kill - Mohammad killed all over the place. In fact was something of a warmonger according to the koran.

Stev_o wrote: »

We don't go marching outside the Mexico embassy every week after a massacre happens there.

Again, I say ... People - NOT Media - NOT politicians who are worried about thier own asses - PEOPLE on the streets . Just like in Paris when poeple showed support for the Palestinians. I would like to have seen at least the Palestinians out showing some sympathy for those who tried to help them. But it seems that just isn't going to happen is it?

You DO have to ask why.

Stev_o wrote: »
    What ? a few westernised politicians ? Give me breath ...
    We would if the murder was Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Tempted to do the 'He said Jehovah - stome him' piece but

The difference between the two is that Jehovah did not kill - Mohammad killed all over the place. In fact was something of a warmonger according to the koran.

Jehovah being God was pretty fond of a bit of mass murder and regular genocides especially in the Torah (old testament).

Advertisement