Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working in an office

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Gotta love the email hard men that will send some smarmy email to you if you send them a file using the wrong version or excel (or some other bull****) and CC as many people as possible. Then when you actually go upstairs and talk to them face to face they quickly pipe down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Gongoozler wrote: »
    For me it's a battle against your weight, as everybodies birthday, leaving, engagement, pregnancy, returning from holiday etc are celebrated with cake, biscuits, sweets, popcorn and chocolate. And then there's the random "we haven't had a birthday to celebrate in a week" sustenance boxes of roses.

This. I have put on so much weight since working in an office...most of it from Toblerones that people bring back from airport duty free :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I like it. Steady-ish job and income, indoors, can do as much or little as you feel most days. If your ambitious, you can go far. Pus you (generally) do it in social hours and unlimited free coffee.

Could do with a better ratio of chicks to dudes, but it keeps the mind on the business ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Its soul destroying - no other way of putting it - don't do it if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It really does depend on where, and more importantly who you are working with. Being an office doesnt exclude the usual suspects of bullies, egos, incompetent managers, oddballs and plain old irritating people as your workmates. Im in an office close to 8 years now and the routine really does suit me, Im quite sure at this stage the company has rid me of any initiative or desire to change whatsoever. As a young and eager office staffer I wanted to change things I saw were wrong, improve procedures I thought were lacking etc but I now see that management dont encourage any free thinking or ideas so I basically do the bare minimum like so many around me and if they can get away with it, then the fcuk i cant too!

On the plus side, the office is always warm and comfy, the technology is reliable and the money is good. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I work in an office...

My old man said once you've a great job, in out of the cold.

He's right...I'm not breaking rocks...out in the cold. So I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What I really miss about working in an office are the affairs!!

Not so much here but when I was working in the UK as a wide eyed innocent it was like a live soap opera! Especially when a more senior staff member was shagging an underling......the gossip was brilliant!!

Leaving aside the odd guy getting filled in while crossing the car park, or the bit hair pulling that happened on some nights out, it was an education.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Jawgap wrote: »
    What I really miss about working in an office are the affairs!!

Not so much here but when I was working in the UK as a wide eyed innocent it was like a live soap opera! Especially when a more senior staff member was shagging an underling......the gossip was brilliant!!

Leaving aside the odd guy getting filled in while crossing the car park, or the bit hair pulling that happened on some nights out, it was an education.

Haha, fab. I worked in a large publishing company in new York as an IT support guy which basically meant it was full of females and my job meant I could go all over the building (15 floors) flirting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Egginacup wrote: »
    Haha, fab. I worked in a large publishing company in new York as an IT support guy which basically meant it was full of females and my job meant I could go all over the building (15 floors) flirting.

Actually, that's another boring thing I've noticed about offices here - far too feckin PC. Some of the conversations and banter I had working in London would get you fired here!!

I should probably clarify that my only experience of offices here was in the public services, so I'm not sure if private sector offices are so uptight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

1. The out-of-town business park
    So we're talking Citywest, Parkwest, anything with "west" in the name basically. This is a souless existence. While you might work in a modern office with a nice desk and computer, you are stuck with the same food choices every day and virtually nothing to do on your lunch break. You have to drive to work so you start stressing about the evening commute about an hour before you leave. You see one part of the world and that's it. A barren landscape surrounds you, with empty office buildings a reminder that nothing is permanent.

I have to agree with most of this - it's mostly nothing but dodgy used car dealers and tire shops in the Citywest area.

But I don't look at it that I have to drive to work; I get to drive to work. It might be 20 miles away from my house, but it's only a 30-35 minute drive with free parking and not having to rely on our awful public transport. Enough lunch options if you don't mind a 5 minute drive.

If I were to work in the city centre again, I'd probably lose over 90 mins a day commuting. I'll take the bleak existence out in the middle of nowhere over that.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I hate open plan. Our other office moved to that layout 2 years ago and it'd drive me mad sitting there all day with people walking by and being able to read over your shoulder (not that I'd be at anything but even still..). Plus the place is as lively as a morgue as everyone sits silently tapping away on their keyboards

We had open plan until recently and they've just made it even-opener plan on some whim. They took down the partitions between our desks (which were only chest height to begin with), so now it's just pretty much a really long desk with 6 people at it. It sucks. The only saving grace is that we all have dual monitors which helps keep some sort of border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

iDave wrote: »
    Gotta love the email hard men that will send some smarmy email to you if you send them a file using the wrong version or excel (or some other bull****) and CC as many people as possible. Then when you actually go upstairs and talk to them face to face they quickly pipe down.

Really? people actually get uptight about things like that. Frikkin Saddos

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

never any affairs in this country, news will always filter back to people that you dont want to know about it

I watched the clock count down to 5:00:00 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

It really does depend on where, and more importantly who you are working with. Being an office doesnt exclude the usual suspects of bullies, egos, incompetent managers, oddballs and plain old irritating people as your workmates. Im in an office close to 8 years now and the routine really does suit me, Im quite sure at this stage the company has rid me of any initiative or desire to change whatsoever. As a young and eager office staffer I wanted to change things I saw were wrong, improve procedures I thought were lacking etc but I now see that management dont encourage any free thinking or ideas so I basically do the bare minimum like so many around me and if they can get away with it, then the fcuk i cant too!

On the plus side, the office is always warm and comfy, the technology is reliable and the money is good. :P
    As a young and eager office staff, it breaks my heart to read this. surely there is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

shrewd wrote: »
    As a young and eager office staff, it breaks my heart to read this. surely there is hope.

No ! :)

Advertisement