Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working in an office

Options
  • 08-01-2015 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

What's it like? I've never worked in one. I've always worked outdoors.
    Is it fun ,boring ,awful?
    Are days long ,short.
    Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The days pass in a blur of boards, facebook, reddit and staring out the window.

You'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Aircon wars :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Aircon wars :(

There's a new film coming out soon, with Nicholas Cage, based on this very premise.

Air-Con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

It's exactly like Wolf of Wall Street but without the coke and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There's a documentary you could watch to prepare yourself.

What's it called...?? The Office!! That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Watch Office Space

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MadsL wrote: »
    There's a documentary you could watch to prepare yourself.

What's it called...?? The Office!! That's it.

I wish my boss wasl ike David Brent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

For me it's a battle against your weight, as everybodies birthday, leaving, engagement, pregnancy, returning from holiday etc are celebrated with cake, biscuits, sweets, popcorn and chocolate. And then there's the random "we haven't had a birthday to celebrate in a week" sustenance boxes of roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Remember Dilbert? Well I'm him. Actually, I'm more like Wally at this stage, the jaded old mainframe jock who tends to get assigned projects that won't work because he won't either. Get out, save yourself while you still can. It is too late for me, Luke! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

jimgoose wrote: »
    Remember Dilbert? Well I'm him. Actually, I'm more like Wally at this stage, the jaded old mainframe jock who tends to get assigned projects that won't work because he won't either. Get out, save yourself while you still can. It is too late for me, Luke! :D

Ahh, sounds like someone's got a case of the Thursdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Free coffee and internet access, what more could you want :p

Ahh, sounds like someone's got a case of the Thursdays.

I like Thursdays. And also, the pellets are excellent. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'm on the first floor, so it has it ups and its downs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It can be tricky sometimes deciding the type of coffee with which to kick off the day.

anncoates wrote: »
    It can be tricky sometimes deciding the type of coffee with which to kick off the day.

Creature of habit that I am, my morning heart-starter is a double shot of espresso topped up with a little boiled water and a splash of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Huh, welcome to the HSE...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

My office neighbour person farts a lot.

And he turns a fan on to blow it in my direction. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Conversing with people 6 feet away via e-mail is fun. My vocal cords have forgotten speech.

And MugMugs, I'll turn the fan off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's super, warm environment in winter, aircon in summer, comfy seats, big screens for surfing, unlimited free coffee, free beer, free pizza, nerf gun fights. I would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

jester77 wrote: »
    It's super, warm environment in winter, aircon in summer, comfy seats, big screens for surfing, unlimited free coffee, free beer, free pizza, nerf gun fights. I would highly recommend.

:pac:, joking right?

• Advertisement

shrewd wrote: »

Nope. We wear propeller beanies and perambulate around the building in Segways pulled by pairs of interns. I am Judah Ben-Nerd. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

shrewd wrote: »

Not at all, the free pizza is not every day, once or twice a week, not good for the health though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

MadsL wrote: »
    The days pass in a blur of boards, facebook, reddit and staring out the window.

You'll love it.

That sums it up really, horrible existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's a cesspit of sexual tension, with a multitude of various personality types, from psychotic to zombie-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I wish my boss was like David Brent.

I wish I worked with Creed Bratton.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Days can drag sometimes, having to do everything via email/IM can be annoying when a phone call could sort it in a fraction of the time, aircon sucks - especially if you have a cold!

On the plus side, nice view out my window, free coffee, subsidised canteen and it's a good bunch in the office for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Meetings, pre-meetings, meetings about meetings, follow up meetings, all employee meetings, goal setting meetings, surveys, meetings to discuss the results of the survey, employee engagement meetings, meetings to discuss why employees don't like all the meetings....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Akrasia wrote: »
    Meetings, pre-meetings, meetings about meetings, follow up meetings, all employee meetings, goal setting meetings, surveys, meetings to discuss the results of the survey, employee engagement meetings, meetings to discuss why employees don't like all the meetings....

........ HR meetings to discuss why you haven't got the job done in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yesterday morning, on my way to work I walked past builders on a roof trying to lay slates in a new housing estate being built while there was a gale force wind and horizontal lashing rain and miserable cold. I thanked God, I work in a warm, temperature controlled office with comfortable chairs, high speed broadband and free tea and coffee. It has it's perks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I worked on building sites when I was younger, and now I work in an office, there are definitely pros and cons to both types of work. You finish the day tired after a day on the sites, but it's a healthy kind of tired. After a day in the office you're often just drained. It's cold on a roof on a winters morning, but it's a real kind of cold and you can warm up by working, not like the cold of an air conditioning unit constantly bathing chilly air onto you while you have to listen to everyone around you moan about the temperature

Advertisement