Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the fool?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I was at a family wedding over the Christmas. There is a good few of us cousins around the same age, i.e just a couple of years out of college trying to get set up at what we want to do. None of us are what you would call flush with cash or will be any time soon.

Cousin of mine just about has a Leaving Cert is driving a machine(s) in Australia for the past 5 years. He is only 18 months older than me and has a house bought here which he is now renting while he is back in Oz.

I genuinely feel like I have wasted the last 4 years in college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

yea but is he happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

So he worked in Australia but sent the money abroad? How dare he take that job away from an Australian if he isn't going to keep the money in the Aus economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A brass neck will get you much better earning potential than a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I know it's easy to say, but money isn't everything! He's been away for 5 years, missed plenty a family and friends events. You may think you'd like his money, but he probably wants your life (I don;t mean that rudely!)

You have a degree behind you. And look, different strokes for different folks.

If you can't beat em, join em! ;)

So he worked in Australia but sent the money abroad? How dare he take that job away from an Australian if he isn't going to keep the money in the Aus economy!

Should he leave it behind when he leaves?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Should he leave it behind when he leaves?

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

When?

When he leaves. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Early days yet, my friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I was at a family wedding over the Christmas. There is a good few of us cousins around the same age, i.e just a couple of years out of college trying to get set up at what we want to do. None of us are what you would call flush with cash or will be any time soon.

Cousin of mine just about has a Leaving Cert is driving a machine(s) in Australia for the past 5 years. He is only 18 months older than me and has a house bought here which he is now renting while he is back in Oz.

Aigh and what happens to all these cool dudes when the driving tractors in fields falls through they'll come back with no degree to fall back on don't worry about it kid keep the skunk in your balls

When?

So he can never leave?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    So he can never leave?

Australian jobs for Australian people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Life isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

But some people drive motorbikes, so there's that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

yea but is he happy

course - lovely machinery over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

The answer to this question is always "you".

Why are they so eager to hand out visa's then?

Does he have a mortgage or could he afford the house outright?

Because if he has a mortgage he may find that he won't be able to move home and still afford it even if he wants to, so it's not the be all and end all.

If he managed to afford it outright then yeah, maybe you wasted 4 years in college, as did many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Plenty of lads made a packet when I was in college during the boom, when the arse fell out of the construction trade they didnt have much going for them. Though buying a gaff was agood move that guys behalf due to timing.

No Irish etc. need apply... Aboriginal Australians only.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If your object in going to college was to acquire a truckload of money by your early twenties then, yes, you have wasted the last four years. Going to college would be an extraordinary strategy to adopt if that were your object, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A good work ethic and ambition will get you far, sounds like this man has a bit of get up and go in him.

• Advertisement

A good work ethic and ambition will get you far, sounds like this man has a bit of get up and go in him.

You like the cut of his jib?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Who's the fool ?

I guess we are........we should be listening to your cousin.

He sounds deadly.

catallus wrote: »
    You like the cut of his jib?

He sounds like a man's man, probably rolls his own cigarettes and everything.

I'm too white collar for my own good see?

I'm too white collar for my own good see?

We must speak further on this.

What opinions do you have on starching white collars?

I'm against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The fool is the person who must look outward to consider his own satisfaction.

Or something to that extent.

You have no idea what their life is actually like. Focus on your own.

We must speak further on this.

What opinions do you have on starching white collars?

I'm against it.

Yes only Priests should starch their collars.

Turtwig wrote: »
    You have no idea what their life is actually like. Focus on your own.

What about the joy some people get from judging others??

Can they not truly live, too?!

Yes only Priests should starch their collars.

Ecumenicism and starch? A potent cocktail! But I'm not so sure priests do starch their collars....

Ecumenicism and starch? A potent cocktail! But I'm not so sure priests do starch their collars....

Old American movies is the only place I've ever heard of a starched collar.

"Great minds discuss ideas;
    average minds discuss events;
    small minds discuss people."

— Eleanor Roosevelt (allegedly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The Australians are fools. Serious earning potential in oz, around 3k a week into the hand in some places for very basic work, yet lots of Australians are lazy, poor work ethic and allowing the Irish to clean up!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement