Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retained firefigher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

does anyone know the minimum you must get in the chester step test to pass in the retained brigade, all i could come across was that in the uk its 42

Sorry about this folks but i cant find answers anywhere, do you have a rest between stages in the chester step test or is it continuous??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Check this out shamrock55 this is the official Chester step test, same as the one I did. Over 40's use a slightly lower step! If I remember correctly I got to level 4 and passed with that. It is continuous but your HR is checked(your wearing a HR strap and watch and they check the watch) you are not to exceed 80% of your suggested max Hr.

Try not to get too hung up on this, you will be nervous and that is expected, try to get into a rhythm and breathe. :)

Yea ive seen that iceage thanks anyway, ive been practicing myself and reach my 80% half way through lvl 4, i seem to be hovering between 42 -44 is this enough to pass?

Should be, keep up your cardio exercise up til the medical, don't over do it. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any info on the shuttle or beep test used by the brigade, what exactly is it,how many levels do you need to do, i saw one for police training in the uk and they only did 5 levels and it didnt seem that hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on the shuttle or beep test used by the brigade, what exactly is it,how many levels do you need to do, i saw one for police training in the uk and they only did 5 levels and it didnt seem that hard

Beep test Is generally 10 minimum for fire service

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Beep test Is generally 10 minimum for fire service

Cheers for that, i was reading up on it and it seems a score of 9/6 would give you vo2max score of 45.2so that would be minimum, im gonna start training for this now because i have a bad feeling i failed the step test

Mate, if you'd failed the step test, or been found unfit to pass the medical you would have been told before you left the Surgery by either the Nurse or in particular by the Doctor.

When exactly is this beep test? I've never heard of a retained Firefighter having to do a beep test. Maybe Tintin8 can shed some light on this..

iceage wrote: »
    Mate, if you'd failed the step test, or been found unfit to pass the medical you would have been told before you left the Surgery by either the Nurse or in particular by the Doctor.

When exactly is this beep test? I've never heard of a retained Firefighter having to do a beep test. Maybe Tintin8 can shed some light on this..

The computer software wasnt working for my step test, the doc just took note of my hr at each stage and said she would have to enter it into the computer when it was sorted, i know myself by the hr that was called out at each stage that i failed, as for the medical even though i was never actually told i passed id say i did because after i did each thing she said ok that fine, in the original letter i got from the council they said if the step test is failed that a retest can be done 4-6wks later and the so said the retest is always the shuttle(beep) test- cones are placed 20m apart you run between the 2 points, start at a beep and reach end by 2nd beep, it speeds up every min i think you keep running back and forth trying to keep pace with the beep, i think you need to get to around lvl 10 to pass, i think the pace starts off at 8.5kmh and goes up .5kmh every stage, ive been told its easier to pass then the step test

• Advertisement

The computer software wasnt working for my step test, the doc just took note of my hr at each stage and said she would have to enter it into the computer when it was sorted, i know myself by the hr that was called out at each stage that i failed, as for the medical even though i was never actually told i passed id say i did because after i did each thing she said ok that fine, in the original letter i got from the council they said if the step test is failed that a retest can be done 4-6wks later and the so said the retest is always the shuttle(beep) test- cones are placed 20m apart you run between the 2 points, start at a beep and reach end by 2nd beep, it speeds up every min i think you keep running back and forth trying to keep pace with the beep, i think you need to get to around lvl 10 to pass, i think the pace starts off at 8.5kmh and goes up .5kmh every stage, ive been told its easier to pass then the step test

That's exactly what it is. If u didn't pass the step test why would u have to do a beep test which is harder? Also the beep is only used for full time brigades traditionally

Tintin8 wrote: »
    That's exactly what it is. If u didn't pass the step test why would u have to do a beep test which is harder? Also the beep is only used for full time brigades traditionally

Ive been told the beep test is alot easier to pass, anyway i got my results today i passed medical and failed the step test so i will have another chance in 4 - 6wks, the doc said i can have another go on step test or beep test,think ill go for the beep test tbh i dont trust that step test!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Just a general question please.
    For how long have you been waited to be placed in a course.
    Cheers!

snams wrote: »
    Just a general question please.
    For how long have you been waited to be placed in a course.
    Cheers!

What course do you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

What course do you mean ?
    Recruit, BA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

It depends when courses are run, your local authority will normally try have recruitment wrapped up close enough to a recruits course somewhere in the country but you might be waiting... mine was only a month or so after my official offer but i know a few lads that were waiting months... BA again is based on whenever they have the numbers nationally to run a course, i was waiting 9 months after my recruits for a BA course, but some of the lads that started after me got BA courses within a few weeks...

So to summarize, courses will be run when they have the numbers to fill the courses :)

H

Can someone tell me do you still get the dole payment if you are in the retained brigade and unemployed?

Yes. As usual you are to be actively looking for gainful employment but you will not be penalised for being a retained Firefighter.

http://www.thejournal.ie/part-time-firefighters-social-welfare-879793-Apr2013/
    One of the few things that Joan Burton got right in my humble opinion.

Thanks for that iceage

Thanks for that iceage

Yes you'll get it once you've enough stamps paid . They'll look back two years for stamps

• Advertisement

Im currently claiming jobseekers allowance and have just gotten a retained position(training starts in september) i just wanted to know if i get to keep this payment too?

Im currently claiming jobseekers allowance and have just gotten a retained position(training starts in september) i just wanted to know if i get to keep this payment too?

You will get job seekers benefit of €188 a week. That's all you're entitled to.

You will get job seekers benefit of €188 a week. That's all you're entitled to.

Will it be jobseekers benefit or will i continue to get the jobseekers allowence that im currently getting

Will it be jobseekers benefit or will i continue to get the jobseekers allowence that im currently getting

Benefit because you'll be employed by the council earning a wage. I was in the retained 5 years so just speaking from experience.

Some of the lads were getting children's allowance but doesn't everyone get that?

Thanks for that tintin, btw are you no longer in the fire brigade?

Lads could anyone recommend a book on firefighters or the fire service that might be of benefit to me before i start my training is there a firefighters handbook is this a good book to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

You will be given a copy of the firefighters handbook on your recruits course... PM me your email address and i will send you a copy of it, i have it on PDF here

H

Heathen wrote: »
    You will be given a copy of the firefighters handbook on your recruits course... PM me your email address and i will send you a copy of it, i have it on PDF here

H

Great thanks for that, i didnt realise that we would get it on recruits course, i will pm you my email address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

How does the Jobseeker's Allowance work with retained work? Does your monthly cheque get deducted the allowance you got weekly or what's the story?

Advertisement