Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retained firefigher

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

snams wrote: »
    What's the difference between a full and retained firefighter when the two of them are next to each other in a burning building?

Oooh yess I love jokes.

I dunno go on tell us .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

snams wrote: »
    What's the difference between a full and retained firefighter when the two of them are next to each other in a burning building?

No difference whatsoever!

That's just the way it is with the 20/20 requirements . The fulltime brigades are definitely stricter with the medical. That's all I'm saying

Tintin8 wrote: »
    No difference whatsoever!

That's just the way it is with the 20/20 requirements . The fulltime brigades are definitely stricter with the medical. That's all I'm saying

Actually the difference is the retained lads probably going to earn more money for that call than the full timer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

D Trent wrote: »
    Oooh yess I love jokes.

I dunno go on tell us .....
    Does your mamma know that you're sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Actually the difference is the retained lads probably going to earn more money for that call than the full timer :-)

Not on the low rate Tintin8 ;) But its never been about the money has it?

Differences between a retained and a whole time Firefighter? Not a lot really, we undertake the same training(retained is drawn out over a longer period for obvious reasons), we answer the same calls, we put out the same fires, treat the same casualties, rescue the same cats up trees etc. Only thing is as retained we're on call 24/7 365 days a year on a rota system and juggle full time lives and jobs outside the Brigade and the whole time lads work a shift pattern.

The long and short of it in my book anyway is a Firefighter is a Firefighter, is a Firefighter.

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    Not on the low rate Tintin8 ;) But its never been about the money has it?

Differences between a retained and a whole time Firefighter? Not a lot really, we undertake the same training(retained is drawn out over a longer period for obvious reasons), we answer the same calls, we put out the same fires, treat the same casualties, rescue the same cats up trees etc. Only thing is as retained we're on call 24/7 365 days a year on a rota system and juggle full time lives and jobs outside the Brigade and the whole time lads work a shift pattern.

The long and short of it in my book anyway is a Firefighter is a Firefighter, is a Firefighter.

I agree 100%.

Same job, just worked differently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

At the end of the interview when asked if you have any questions, what would be a good question to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

shamrock55 wrote: »
    At the end of the interview when asked if you have any questions, what would be a good question to ask?

What is the next step in the application process, when will you hear back from them, what is the call volume for the station, etc. etc. would be good general questions.

Say Ive no question but I'd like to say if I'm lucky enough to get the job I won't let you down!

Could someone here maybe pm me some sample questions that might be asked at the interview please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Could someone here maybe pm me some sample questions that might be asked at the interview please.

I can't remember any specific questions that were asked during my interview (about 4 years ago now) but i found that i was able to drive the interview in the direction i wanted to by talking about specific things i knew a lot about... in other words, whenever they asked me something i would explain it and mention something like "Holmatro" equipment etc etc... so they would then ask, "oh, tell us about holmatro equipment" and i was able to talk confidently about that as i was familiar with it... likewise for other aspects of the job that i was familiar with, and it worked very well, i did a brilliant interview and came first on the panel.

One things to look out for is that sometimes they will have someone play devil's advocate... it happened in my interview and a mate of mine when he did his years before me... Basically one of the interviewers acts a bit sarcastic towards your answers, or will ask you something and then not be interested in your answer (looking out the window or at their watch)... this is you try throw you off and see how you react.. keep the head and stay professional and confident but not cocky and you will be fine.

ps. the person that did the devils advocate in my interview actually turned out to be really sound when i met them months later as a member :)

Enjoy, and best of luck

H

Sorry folks, i know this has been mentioned before but i cant find it for the life of me, can someone tell me the retainer a retained firefighter gets, also the training rates and call out rates, cheers;)

Its ok i just found it

I have my medical next wk for retained firefighter, what can i expect and how long will i be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

From what i remember.....

Eye test
    hearing test
    resting heart rate
    chester step test

...... anyone else remember the rest?

Does the eye test have to be 20/20 cos i have a fair idea i dont have 20/20, its ok but its deffo not 20/20

Does the eye test have to be 20/20 cos i have a fair idea i dont have 20/20, its ok but its deffo not 20/20

You should ask someone in the brigade in question or just ring whoever is doing your Medical.

Blood pressure.
    Lung function test.
    Urine sample.
    Small bit on your medical history.
    Strength test(Pull/grip/lift test)
    Eye test(Near sight/far sight/colour blind test, you'll look into a viewer for this)
    Hearing test(tones wearing head phones)
    Chester step test, incremental over a time period.

Your age will be taken into account for ALL of the above so don't worry, try and relax as best you can and don't stop on the Chester step test, the aim is to continue but without maxing out on your upper heart rate. All of this was done by a Nurse for me and then there was a final basic examination by a Doctor, listened to my heart, lungs, palpated abdomen, all the basic stuff. Best of luck.

You should ask someone in the brigade in question or just ring whoever is doing your Medical.

So rang me tonight and went through what i could expect in the medical, he doesnt think it has to be 20/20 he wears glasses himself

Blood pressure.
    Lung function test.
    Urine sample.
    Small bit on your medical history.
    Strength test(Pull/grip/lift test)
    Eye test(Near sight/far sight/colour blind test, you'll look into a viewer for this)
    Hearing test(tones wearing head phones)
    Chester step test, incremental over a time period.

Your age will be taken into account for ALL of the above so don't worry, try and relax as best you can and don't stop on the Chester step test, the aim is to continue but without maxing out on your upper heart rate. All of this was done by a Nurse for me and then there was a final basic examination by a Doctor, listened to my heart, lungs, palpated abdomen, all the basic stuff. Best of luck.

Thanks for this info

Your SO is correct 20/20 or 6/6 Eyesight as it's known now is not required for retained service, I think I might have stuck up a post about it earlier Shamrock but I'm too lazy to find it! If you wear glasses bring them with you, you will be tested with your glasses, the whole medical takes roughly about an hour, try to relax and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

I have a question regarding holidays in retained brigade, do you get so many days to use up for holidays per year and do you have to be in it so long like maybe a year before you are entitled to holidays?

I have a question regarding holidays in retained brigade, do you get so many days to use up for holidays per year and do you have to be in it so long like maybe a year before you are entitled to holidays?

All u do is get cover off the lads when you're going away. It's all about numbers.if u need days off the lads for your holiday you've to ask them to stay around on call for the hole day that u need so it can be a pain to get cover in the summer and u feel bad asking them but that's the way it works and it's fine. If u cover them on your days off they'll cover u. That's the way it works in my old station anyway

Your SO is correct 20/20 or 6/6 Eyesight as it's known now is not required for retained service, I think I might have stuck up a post about it earlier Shamrock but I'm too lazy to find it! If you wear glasses bring them with you, you will be tested with your glasses, the whole medical takes roughly about an hour, try to relax and let us know how you get on.

Cheers mate thanks for that, i dont wear glasses, but i wouldnt have superman eyesight either:D

All u do is get cover off the lads when you're going away. It's all about numbers.if u need days off the lads for your holiday you've to ask them to stay around on call for the hole day that u need so it can be a pain to get cover in the summer and u feel bad asking them but that's the way it works and it's fine. If u cover them on your days off they'll cover u. That's the way it works in my old station anyway

Ok but do you not get a set no of days off for holidays, and then just go about trying to find a wk or two thats available if you wanted a holiday?

Ok but do you not get a set no of days off for holidays, and then just go about trying to find a wk or two thats available if you wanted a holiday?

Well technically you're supposed to have X amount of annual leave per year which the brigade will tell u . But say u need two weeks off, it's not the case of applying for annual leave and u might get it. The days you're supposed to be on duty you will need to get another firefighter to cover for u.

It can be frustrating because lads will make excuses that they're goin away or they've somthing on etc. so you can't go anywhere unless someone covers your days ON duty while you're away.

Now I know of other stations who work it on a first come first serve basis.

You don't get paid for calls while away so it's tough that way too

In the chester step test would you have to complete all the levels, l tried it at home this evening and i was grand till it got to level5, i did half of it but just couldnt keep pace, its harder on the legs then the lungs, is the pace slightly slower according to age ?, i used a metronome app and i had the beeps set at 100%, do they stop the test as soon as you reach 80% of your max heart rate?

In the chester step test would you have to complete all the levels, l tried it at home this evening and i was grand till it got to level5, i did half of it but just couldnt keep pace, its harder on the legs then the lungs, is the pace slightly slower according to age ?, i used a metronome app and i had the beeps set at 100%, do they stop the test as soon as you reach 80% of your max heart rate?

I can't remember tbh. It's ok so it is. They just get u to a certain level and then check your heart rate.

Which level? I don't know sorry.

I have myself a bit worked up over it tbh, i can just picture them making me step till i drop:D

I have myself a bit worked up over it tbh, i can just picture them making me step till i drop:D

You'll be grand . Do t worry even though everyone always worries . Nearly over the line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

You are entitled to 4 weeks off per year as per the working time act. You will get paid for these holidays in your March payment. I don't know exactly how they work it. It is more than likely based on a percentage of your attended incidents. As per what has been mentioned, cover trumps anything else. Get your holiday request in early. I know in some stations men do not take a week off technically but fill in the holiday planner at year end in times when there has been no calls, just to keep management happy!

Advertisement