Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris magazine massacre - **READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Noblong wrote: »
    It's a law in Islam. No images of the prophet whatsoever.
    so it's ok then to massacre cartoonists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Horrible event.Many areas of Paris and France must be a tinderbox tonight.Hollande better come with his A game later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

My biggest question is why aren't Muslim people and their leaders speaking out against these attacks, condoning them?

I unfortunately get the impression that a lot of Muslims consider the attacks are somewhat justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Palmach wrote: »
    What is noteworthy is that in western countries following such attacks there has been little or no backlash.

Yeah there were fears of a backlash in both Canada and Australia last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Satire is a fundamental political freedom. The best action Islamic fundamentalists could take to avenge their outrage at blasphemous portrayals of the prophet (and it is arguable that they may have a point in being insulted, although it is equally arguable that the freedom to criticise all religions must be enshrined), would be to mercilessly rip the piss out of the religion of the fundamentalist christians who send drones to their countries and fight 'freedom' wars on their soil (to secure access to resources.)
    Rest in Peace Cabu, Charb, Wolinski and Tignous, satirists who chose to die on their feet for freedom of expression and brave men all, and the rest of the deceased. It is a sad day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Ah. That explains it. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

so?

it's also in the bible not to take the name of the lord in vain, but jesus h christ, I'm not getting massacred by nuns for posting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Then live in Saudi if you want to live somewhere governed according to the laws of Islam. Here in the free world, we have - among other freedoms - freedom of speech. Those same freedoms that allow them to practice their religion.

Can anyone translate or give context to the cartoon that had been published? Direct translation seems to be losing the message

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

This radio interview with "Dr." Ali Selim and Niall Boylan is really something else :

https://soundcloud.com/bloodboylan/dr-ali-selim-on-classic-hits-4fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's the law in Ireland too- stupid blasphemy law v😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Ah. That explains it. Fair enough.

Doesnt explain why some people can justify this as reason for what the do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Hitchens wrote: »
    so it's ok then to massacre cartoonists?

No. It's against another law.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Islamic extremists - a great bunch of lads.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    This radio interview with "Dr." Ali Selim and Niall Boylan is really something else :

https://soundcloud.com/bloodboylan/dr-ali-selim-on-classic-hits-4fm

Hes a special one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Is there a transcript of the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Virgil° wrote: »
    Is it possible do you think that the thread continue under the precedence that

a) Muslims are not a race.

b) Islam is not another word for "Muslims".

I doubt its possible but i'd love to see it attempted.

Great. By all means go ahead on those precepts. Do we also then get to vilify Jews since they are not a race? Because I'm pretty sure that's what you're revving up for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Europe is near a tipping point, soon we could have the likes of Sinn Fein, UKIP and the National Front leading governments. We are at a dangerous point in history.
    Comparing Sinn Fein and UKIP to the National Front is not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Murder in the name of religion is an age old industry. And no one religion owns the patent on it. The key is to have the cop on and intelligence to see the bigger picture and not label all accordingly.

Jesus just saw on the news how they walked up to the injured policeman to kill him. In the old thread I dont know how people could defend these monsters. Injured and not shooting them writhing in pain. I thought they were targeting those who drew Muhamed. Apparently anyone would do. Disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

By that logic the head of the FAI, John Delaney, could have turned up in Monaghan and massacred the chairman, manager, players etc when they went bust and broke some of the laws in Irish football. As far as i am aware the rules on solvency are quite clear.

Laws in Islam are about as enforceable here as laws in quidditch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hazys wrote: »
    My biggest question is why aren't Muslim people and their leaders speaking out against these attacks, condoning them?

Did you even bother looking?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/07/muslims-respond-charlie-hebdo_n_6429710.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Great. By all means go ahead on those precepts. Do we also then get to vilify Jews since they are not a race? Because I'm pretty sure that's what you're revving up for here.

It's not ok to vilify ethnic Jews. It is ok to criticise the ideologies of Judaism/Zionism. Religion is a choice. It's the pandering to the belief systems of these backward religions that has us where we are today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Nodin wrote: »

problem is that there is no Moslem pope or equivalent, and all the most well known Immam's probably support this anyway, because the most well known immams are the fundamental crazy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just looking at it on the news.....a police officer rolling around on the footpath after getting shot and one of the gunman runs up to shoot him with a machine gun before escaping in a van. All this because of the crime of "blasphemy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

+1

Whatever cartoon that was printed to cause this massacre, we should see it.

We should see it printed in every magazine and newspaper in the free World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This was horrible news. RIP to all the victims.

Surprised this was a single attack . if it was 'Al Qaeda of Yemen', they usually do a double punch attack, hopefully they are caught before this can happen. The attackers looked like trained military professionals

Agricola wrote: »
    Just looking at it on the news.....a police officer rolling around on the footpath after getting shot and one of the gunman runs up to shoot him with a machine gun before escaping in a van. All this because of the crime of "blasphemy"
    No Charlie Hebdo journalists were the ones doing "blasphemy"......the police officer they killed him because they could. Plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I'm paying my tributes to the French satirists tonight by drinking French wine and reading pieces by Omar Khayyam - the thinking man's Islamic theologian.

Here's one of his insights:

"Drink wine. This is life eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.”

Let's hope today isn't a Franz Ferdinand moment. There's a hell of a lot of anger out there in France, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Nodin wrote: »

One or two Muslim groups and quotes from 2 French Muslim priests and a handful of tweets probably don't accurately represent 1 billion Muslim people.
    problem is that there is no Moslem pope or equivalent, and all the most well known Immam's probably support this anyway, because the most well known immams are the fundamental crazy ones.

TBF maybe this is the issue too.

We saw what happened in the middle east and all around Europe when the Danish magazine published a cartoon mocking Mohammed...its hardly just a vocal minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Nope, they also "zoned in on" Judaism, Christianity and right-wing politicians.

Not really. In fact the magazine was a staunch supporter of Israel, it's editor had referred to the Palestinians en-masse as "non civilized". When one of its journalists complained about this she was promptly fired. hi

On the other hand, when another cartoonist drew a cartoon which gently mocked a French politicians son for marrying a wealthy Jewish heiress that cartoonist was fired.

Simply put, this claim that the magazine was just a source of satire which attacked all targets equally is bull. It had a definite anti-arab political outlook and revelled in publishing the most hateful and delibarately offensive material that it could.

Does that mean its staff should have been murdered? Of course not. However if they had taken the same line publishing ugly stereotypes of hook-nosed Jews and trying to justify the confiscation of Jews property - as they did with the Palestinians - then I doubt anyone in the media would be defending them.

Advertisement