Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Burn the place down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP has no proof though he just heard hushed voices and has higher bills, he's basing it on previous experience imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Your ESB bill wouldn't be so high if you didn't use boards to complain about the ESB bill.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your ESB bill wouldn't be so high if you didn't use boards to complain about the ESB bill.

He might be using mobile broadband and a laptop, both of which he charges in work?

And seriously charging devices costs very little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The day an extra person in my house caused my electric to go over the edge is the day I tell the ESB to shove their power up their arse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

To be honest I think you're over reacting a bit. When sharing with strangers there I'd always going to be a bit of give and take. Have a word with her to set things straight but I think k you might be better off living by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

But... he... was fine about the guy calling?

Only became a problem to him when the bills were really high and the guy was calling really often (the OP already said he didn't want to live with a couple) and leaving a mess.

I suppose the opportunity (no matter how spurious) to throw out the "Jealous" cat-call is too irresistible for some though.

You seem to be getting oddly worked up about this and other people's opinions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I wonder how many times they've fuked in your bed so far, and also on the kitchen counter and table where you prepare food. Hope they use bidets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Thanks for all the replies.

I had a pretty awful Christmas (illness and bereavement) and a couple of stressful days at work, so I was probably being a bit unreasonable. Slept on it now and decided that the situation at the moment is acceptable. Obviously if things escalate, I may have to do something but for now it's ok. I'm fairly introverted at the best of times, so I'm probably unfairly wary of having too many people around. I won't be posting here again unless things get worse, but I appreciate all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Your bills are higher because, like Stheno said, your both there at different times, heating running 12 hours a day instead of 6 etc. Like someone else said him being over simply wouldn't add much to your bill, whether she there alone, or he's there she'll have the same heating going and cook about the same amount etc.
    She hasn't done anything wrong. She possibly had him over when you were gone away for a few weeks. That's entirely her prerogative. You weren't even going to be there. When he's over when you're there it doesn't sound like she's taking the piss or anything either, they're being so considerate you have barely clapped eyes on the guy. It's not like they're taking over the place, or up watching movies or riding with wreckless abandon while you're trying to sleep, they're hiding out in her room and being as undistruptive as possible. People are entitled to have people overnight (as long as it's not an every/most nights thing) and they're entitled to **** them in the privacy of their own room that they are paying for.

I've zero tolerance for room mates taking the piss. But this isn't that. This is just the reality of sharing a place with another adult.
    If it escalates to them taking over the living room and eating your food and stuff like that lay the law down right off the bath and nip that **** in the bud, I understand you're a bit once bitten twice shy over sharing with the couple before, but that's not the case right now. She's not taking the piss here by any stretch.
    Maybe you should get a place on your own?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is she hot enough to fap to while you're listening to her riding?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Had something similar a few years ago OP. Guy moved in with me (we had advertised strictly no couples - Apt wasn't big enough for 3 and I had no intention of feeling like a spare prick in a place I had lived for years) and he was ok. Anyway about 6 weeks into his stay he asked did I mind if his gf came to stay for 10 days (she was back in his native country). Said it was grand and she arrived over. About 2 days before her stay was to be finished I went away for 2 weeks. Came back and noticed her stuff was still there.

Anyway that evening he arrives in and says his missus is thinking about staying and we could split rent, bills 3 ways. Don't think so trout, pack your bags and find another place, they were gone within 10 days.

I suggest you do the same OP, tell her to hit the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kfallon wrote: »
    Had something similar a few years ago OP. Guy moved in with me (we had advertised strictly no couples - Apt wasn't big enough for 3 and I had no intention of feeling like a spare prick in a place I had lived for years) and he was ok. Anyway about 6 weeks into his stay he asked did I mind if his gf came to stay for 10 days (she was back in his native country). Said it was grand and she arrived over. About 2 days before her stay was to be finished I went away for 2 weeks. Came back and noticed her stuff was still there.

Anyway that evening he arrives in and says his missus is thinking about staying and we could split rent, bills 3 ways. Don't think so trout, pack your bags and find another place, they were gone within 10 days.

I suggest you do the same OP, tell her to hit the road!

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Girl comes to stay from Asian country, says her boyfriend is coming to "visit". Visit turns into a couple of weeks until they were asked to move out and get their own place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Gongoozler wrote: »
    You seem to be getting oddly worked up about this and other people's opinions.
    Yeh, inconsiderate housemates is a bugbear of mine, I'll be honest.
    The OP wrote a really detailed, clear, thoughtful and reasonable post though; it wasn't in any way aggressive and it was keeping an open mind. Then two or three people came along to belittle him and make up stuff that wasn't even based on fact - just for the craic. It always happens on AH and it's kinda mean-spirited. If it were a piss-takey post by the OP or a rant, that would be a different story, but it wasn't. Probably should have been posted to Accommodation & Property though.
    I know you have to expect jokes and light-hearted comments on AH of course, but I think there's a big difference between that and snide pot-shots based on nothing.

Anyway, the OP has decided to let it go. Hope things improve OP - sorry to read about bad stuff happening. As you say, that could lead to feeling like things are amplified. Strobe is spot-on I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think we all know what this calls for OP. Murder-suicide pact.

Advertisement