Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return Item to Amazon

Options
  • 06-01-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for some advice if anyone can help!
    I recently bought a TV from Amazon and discovered, on opening box(witnessed by delivery guy) the screen was cracked.I requested a return authorization from Amazon and received an email with authorization code.After three phone calls, assuring me a collection had been arranged, I was finally told by a supervisor that they could not get anyone to pick up the package and that it was my responsibility to return it. Can anyone tell me if this is the case, and if so, can anyone suggest a suitable courier firm who will do this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Under consumer law any return of defective goods must be at no cost to you. This means either they arrange and pay for collection or you agree to ship but they refund you costs.
    If you can't get them to collect make sure you get a written commitment that they will promptly give you a monetary refund for all shipping costs. Either that or find a courier who will collect from you and let Amazon book them directly.

I find it strange they can get someone to deliver to you but not collect from you.

[Edit]OP has since stated that delivery was originally to Parcel Motel NI. So as far as the contract is concerned delivery was to NI not to OP in Dublin. The above information may not be so straight forward.[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Was this delivered direct to your address from Amazon or using Parcel Motel from NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sounds weird, normally you just get a prepaid return label directly from the Amazon site, print it, put one part in the box it was delivered in, put the other over your address on the outside and just drop it off at the post or couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭jt69er

Was this delivered direct to your address from Amazon or using Parcel Motel from NI?

It went to Parcel Motel NI, but as it was an oversize package it was delivered to me by courier via Dublin, costing an extra €10.50, which was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

You may have a bit of a problem there. As far as Amazon are concerned they delivered it to Parcel Motel. The fact that it was broken when it got to <somewhere else> is interesting, but not relevant to their requirement to deliver to Parcel Motel. I'm actually surprised that they are willing to return it at all, given that it wasn't checked when it was delivered by them originally.

z

• Advertisement

jt69er wrote: »
    It went to Parcel Motel NI.

I think that is where your problem lies, what size & weight is the TV?

OP, I suggest you contact ECC Ireland to determine if your rights to free return apply where the goods have been moved to another country from the original delivery address.
    http://www.eccireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

In theory could you pay the €10.50 to ship it back to Parcel Motel and arrange for Amazon to collect there as that is where they delivered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get in touch with Amazon. Tell them that you'll be sending back the item as it was damaged on receipt. Ask them for reimbursement, which they will normally do.

As a matter of interest - Why did you get the item PM'd? Amazon will direct ship for free if the item's over £25. To me, it makes no sense to get an expensive electrical item delivered to PM where anything could happen to it between Newtownabbey, Dublin and onward to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Get in touch with Amazon. Tell them that you'll be sending back the item as it was damaged on receipt. Ask them for reimbursement, which they will normally do.

As a matter of interest - Why did you get the item PM'd? Amazon will direct ship for free if the item's over £25. To me, it makes no sense to get an expensive electrical item delivered to PM where anything could happen to it between Newtownabbey, Dublin and onward to you.

I think they wont ship some larger electrical items outside of the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

As far as I'm aware, Amazon won't deliver tvs to to irish republic. They're a very reasonable company though. I've had items delivered to Parcel Motel and when returning I just asked them to give me a label so I could return from Dublin and they've sent me one. Normally only small items though. Maybe in this case it wouldn't work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wingnut wrote: »
    In theory could you pay the €10.50 to ship it back to Parcel Motel and arrange for Amazon to collect there as that is where they delivered it.

I'd imagine ParcelMotel wouldn't be too happy about a customer trying to arrange a collection from their depot by another carrier. There's alot that could go wrong and trying to book such a collection would likely result in the collection not being successful.

OP, one way or another Amazon don't operate a collection returns service in the Republic Of Ireland as far as I'm aware. If your returning it to the UK then you are going to have to post this item to them, Amazon should then be able to refund the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In fairness as Amazon don't deliver TVs to Ireland, and you used PM to get around delivery conditions, you can't expect Amazon to fully cover returning the item from here. This is one of the disadvantages of using parcel motel to circumvent delivery restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.parcelmotel.com/returns.html

Since its oversized you might need to drop it to the depot. But its not like this would be extremely unusual for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

how do you know that it wasnt damaged by the courier that parcel motel used?

You don't, that is the problem with using this workaround for getting restricted delivery items from Amazon

Amazon could legitimately reject the return as it was drop shipped by Parcel Motel and not their responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

They do deliver to Dublin.They have their no1 best selling tv available to deliver to Dublin at the moment.PLace item in basket , some tvs will deliver, others wont. 32 inch tvs generally will all deliver

damemcd wrote: »
    They do deliver to Dublin.They have their no1 best selling tv available to deliver to Dublin at the moment.PLace item in basket , some tvs will deliver, others wont. 32 inch tvs generally will all deliver
    Fair enough but the OP used PM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The PM thing isn't the issue, they just couldn't get a pre-paid label for the OP but they are still accepting the return.

Just call a few couriers get the best price and send it back, keep the receipt, scan it or take a photo of it and send it on to Amazon they should reimburse the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd imagine ParcelMotel wouldn't be too happy about a customer trying to arrange a collection from their depot by another carrier. There's alot that could go wrong and trying to book such a collection would likely result in the collection not being successful.

I wouldn't have think it would be a huge deal for a courier to transfer a package.

• Advertisement

Beano wrote: »
    how do you know that it wasnt damaged by the courier that parcel motel used?

Parcel Motel is Nightline Couriers. And the person in Nightline who pushed the concept of Parcel Motel is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yamanoto wrote: »
    They often do - I've had 2 LG TV's from Amazon delivered to me by An Post.

Can be model and brand dependent though - 42" Sony, Panasonic & Toshiba below all ship to ROI without issue.

]
    :confused:
    Not in the case of the OP so irrelevant that they supply others here. The OP chose delivery within the UK, so cannot automatically expect Amazon to arrange or cover a return from a different country. He did not pay for supply to Ireland.

Parcel Motel is Nightline Couriers. And the person in Nightline who pushed the concept of Parcel Motel is a genius.

what is this supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I think they mean that they are happy with the whole concept of pm

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I think they mean that they are happy with the whole concept of pm

I'd rather he answered me himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

mayordenis wrote: »
    Just call a few couriers get the best price and send it back, keep the receipt, scan it or take a photo of it and send it on to Amazon they should reimburse the cost.

Why should they take it back? PM courier could have dropped it, it's not up to them to cover accidental damage.

Why should they take it back? PM courier could have dropped it, it's not up to them to cover accidental damage.
    Amazon have already authorised the return so they're not disputing the damage. They just dispute who has to get it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It is a bit strange, I have to return something and they want me to send it to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Meaning that a worker in Nightline accepted your parcel, a worker in Nightline transferred to a loading dock, a Nightline truck transferred it to Dublin and a worker in Nightline delivered it to your door.

Ring Parcel Motel and either pay to have it collected and brought to the depot in the North or bring it to the depot in the south and have it shipped to the North. Then get Amazon to collect it from there for free.

Advertisement