Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgium Beer is awesome

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I love Belgian beer. St Bernardus Abt 12 is probably my favourite. Triple Karmeliet, Rochefort 8, Duvel, Leffe Royal, Delerium Tremens and Affligem are all great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Beano wrote: »
    if you are ever thinking of heading to belgium to drink loads of their lovely beer (and you really should) give brussels a miss and head to Bruges. its a nicer looking town and prices are a lot lower than brussels. Beer was generally a euro a bottle cheaper than in brussels. plus you get to try the local bruge beers.

You would be missing out if you didn't spend some time in Brussels imo. A visit to both Moeder Lambics is worth staying for one night alone especially the original one, not to mention Cantillion brewery - and some great galleries and museums.

Also, I much prefer Ghent or Antwerp to Bruges. (Although it does have one or two great bars. De Garre is a superb hidden gem.)

Ghent was a revelation for me last year. Great balance of bars, beer, history and scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

lk67 wrote: »
    You would be missing out if you didn't spend some time in Brussels imo. A visit to both Moeder Lambics is worth staying for one night alone especially the original one, not to mention Cantillion brewery - and some great galleries and museums.

Also, I much prefer Ghent or Antwerp to Bruges. (Although it does have one or two great bars. De Garre is a superb hidden gem.)

Ghent was a revelation for me last year. Great balance of bars, beer, history and scenery.

De Garre is fantiastic .. but I confess to not being a huge Belgian beer fan *runs off to safety*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

De Garre is fantiastic .. but I confess to not being a huge Belgian beer fan *runs off to safety*

I'd be the same. There are plenty of Belgian beers that I like, but I don't think Belgian beers would ever be my "go to" beers.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd be the same. There are plenty of Belgian beers that I like, but I don't think Belgian beers would ever be my "go to" beers.

I rarely drink them at home but try to get over there once a year. But then again it's different when you're drinking them in situ maybe? Concentrated on sours and Saisons this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

havent been to Ghent or Antwerp yet. i'll add them to the list. I've actually spent more time in brussels than i have in bruge. I much preferred bruge.

havent been to Ghent or Antwerp yet. i'll add them to the list. I've actually spent more time in brussels than i have in bruge. I much preferred bruge.

That's what makes the world work, everyone has a preference!

I'd edge Ghent over Antwerp. Look up De Planck bar if you get there. Better value, service and atmosphere than those in the centre, which are great btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

That's what makes the world work, everyone has a preference!

I'd edge Ghent over Antwerp. Look up De Planck bar if you get there. Better value, service and atmosphere than those in the centre, which are great btw.

well i think we can both agree that belgian beer is indeed awsome even if we cant agree on which city in belgium is best to drink it in.

well i think we can both agree that belgian beer is indeed awsome even if we cant agree on which city in belgium is best to drink it in.

Agreed. It's the variety of beer (and the country itself) that's important too. Many people associate Belgian beer with Duvel, Leffe and a smattering of Trappist beers. They are missing out...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

It doesn't deserve to be part of the beer family.

The crap coming out of of this horrible country is stalling the beer revolution.

The alcohol police need to give it its own genre.

Belgian fanboys shytting on German beers... getdafuggouttahere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

n97 mini wrote: »
    What was the name of the bar? I'll be in London in March, wouldn't mind having a look.

Might be the Auberge by Waterloo Station? Some years since I went there but was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

My top five favourite beers are almost all Belgian. My number one liquid in the world award has to go to Straffe Hendrick, an 11% Belgian quad (there's a 9% too but the higher percent one is sweeter and richer). Give it a go if you ever see it on sale. The Hub in Cork is the only bar I've ever seen it in (phenomenal selection of craft beers).

The crap coming out of of this horrible country is stalling the beer revolution.

Jaysus.

Who pyssed in your Spaten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

HERETIC :eek: :p:D

Advertisement