Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgium Beer is awesome

Options
  • 06-01-2015 12:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Went to a Belgium bar recently in London, its in Waterloo, with a Belgium girl who introduced me to the delights of Belgium craft beer. Seriously impressed.

Extra Blonde(10%), Flemish red(7%), Rochford 10 (11% !!!), Orval amber (7%),and many others.

Serious stuff, some of it was £8 a pint, bottles £6 but worth it, as its so rare to find, I tried 4 and was seriously rocking !

Made me realise English and Irish craft beers are very nice but pretty lightweight.

Most Belguim beer was originally brewed by Trappist monks, they must have been out of their heads all day.

I certainly recommend Belguim craft beers.

http://www.beerhawk.co.uk/discovery-belgian-premium

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Went to a Belgium bar recently in London, its in Waterloo, with a Belgium girl who introduced me to the delights of Belgium craft beer. Seriously impressed.

Extra Blonde(10%), Flemish red(7%), Rochford 10 (11% !!!), Orval amber (7%),and many others.

The Drink store in stonybatter usually has most if on all of the above any they deliver too http://www.drinkstore.ie

Made me realise English and Irish craft beers are very nice but pretty lightweight.

mmmh have you tried White Hag Black Boar, 8 degrees dubble or O'Hara's Leann Folláin are just a few the comes to mind, certainly not light weight beers
    Most Belguim beer was originally brewed by Trappist monks, they must have been out of their heads all day.

That's just good marketing :P, the modern trappist beer are product of the 1900- 1920 though competes to improve the quality of Belgian beer. Plenty of secular brewing, but which tended to very local, much weaker and poor quality till the beginning of the 20th century

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What was the name of the bar? I'll be in London in March, wouldn't mind having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Yeah, its only in the last couple of months I've tried Belgian beers, but most of what I've sampled I've been blown away with.

Some of my fav's
    St Bernardus stuff is just stunning. (I've had Wit, 6, 8, Abt 12 and Christmas)
    Duvel at 8.5% is dangerously nice and can be picked up at less than €3 a bottle
    Trappistes Rochefort 8
    Westmalle Dubbel and Triple
    Urthel Hop-It 9.50%
    Pauwel Kwak 8.4%
    Gouden Carolus Christmas 10%

I've only dipped the toe in the water yet...but what I've had encourages me to keep trying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Yeah, its only in the last couple of months I've tried Belgian beers, but most of what I've sampled I've been blown away with.

Some of my fav's
    Trappistes Rochefort 8
    Urthel Hop-It 9.50%
    Pauwel Kwak 8.4%

I've only dipped the toe in the water yet...but what I've had encourages me to keep trying

My new year's resolution is to try more Belgian beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Check out liefmans goudenband, triple karmeliet, gulden draak, saison dupont, urthel saison, and there's some geuze floating around dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ze Germans would disagree. What I had in Bruges, which was a lot I wasn't that impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RasTa wrote: »
    ze Germans would disagree. What I had in Bruges, which was a lot I wasn't that impressed.

Apples and oranges.

Stylewise, German and Belgian beers are generally so far apart, you couldn't really compare them.

It was Belgian beer that really opened my eyes to what beer could be.
    As a much younger man, German beer opened my eyes to the fact that not all lager is sh1te, but that was all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

German beer is boring. There I said it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was in Brussels last summer and I was in heaven, so much quality beer everywhere.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

drumswan wrote: »
    German beer is boring. There I said it.

Schneider Tap X Aventinus Mein Barrique is far from boring.
    (but I do know what you mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Apples and oranges.

Stylewise, German and Belgian beers are generally so far apart, you couldn't really compare them.

It was Belgian beer that really opened my eyes to what beer could be.
    As a much younger man, German beer opened my eyes to the fact that not all lager is sh1te, but that was all.

+1 on this.

Personally I find German beer a bit watery. When drinking pils I'd rather something Czech.

Schneider Tap X Aventinus Mein Barrique is far from boring.

For every Schneider Tap X Aventinus Mein Barrique theres 500 boring lagers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For every Schneider Tap X Aventinus Mein Barrique theres 500 boring lagers.
    That's true of everywhere, including Belgium. Belgium's biggest selling beer is Jupiler, remember.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's true of everywhere, including Belgium. Belgium's biggest selling beer is Jupiler, remember.

Ah yeah. I just have this perception of German beer as boring. I walk past the German beer section in Redmonds every time.

I just have this perception of German beer as boring. I walk past the German beer section in Redmonds every time.
    A bit like the people who think "American beer" is all Bud and Coors ;)

A bit like the people who think "American beer" is all Bud and Coors ;)

Possibly. but I definitely think German beer has a bit of an image problem these days (not ruling out the possibility that its only in my head). I tend to look at local beer, US Beer, UK Beer and Belgian beer when I peruse the shelf of my local off licence.

Yeah but if your opinion on an entire nation's brewing is formed based on what's available in a different country you're only seeing a tiny part of the picture. It's not German brewing's fault if your local off licence has no decent German beer.

Yeah but if your opinion on an entire nation's brewing is formed based on what's available in a different country you're only seeing a tiny part of the picture. It's not German brewing's fault if your local off licence has no decent German beer.

I guess. Im just saying when I walk into drinkstore the lads dont say 'here wait till you see this new beer we got from Germany'. It doesnt have the same buzz about it that other beer producing nations do these days.

It kinda does, IMO. It's just that the likes of Grand Cru, Four Corners and Premier aren't scouring the place for the good stuff the way they do with Belgium, the UK and the US.

It kinda does, IMO. It's just that the likes of Grand Cru, Four Corners and Premier aren't scouring the place for the good stuff the way they do with Belgium, the UK and the US.

Fair enough, but that is kinda what I am saying.

• Advertisement

Great article from Pete Brown on beer becoming unfashionable, food for thought.

http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/whats-difference-between-craft-beer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Great article from Pete Brown on beer becoming unfashionable, food for thought.

http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/whats-difference-between-craft-beer.html

Its the nasty ended of those that assoicate Hispster with craft beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I personally think the yanks make the best beer. Hitting Barca on Thursday, anything to look out for?

I personally think the yanks make the best beer. Hitting Barca on Thursday, anything to look out for?

Yank beer you cant buy here :P

r. Hitting Barca on Thursday, anything to look out for?

Yes. The scangers they allow into La Cerveteca to beg who will rob your phone.
    They have a pretty stunning selection - lots of Lambics but they are quite expensive.
    Also, they were really unhelpful and disinterested when my wife's phone was robbed. Not sure I'd darken their door again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

n97 mini wrote: »
    What was the name of the bar? I'll be in London in March, wouldn't mind having a look.

There you go.

http://www.auberge-restaurant.co.uk/waterloo/

The ground floor bar recalls a Belgian beer hall with dark wood furniture and twisted iron fixtures. At the back of the bar an area for 50 diners or a larger drinking party, is neatly tucked away

Theres a few of these Belgos about, like a TGI Fridays with Chimay and Moules

http://www.belgo-restaurants.co.uk/

Used to be one in Dublin too. Moules frites and a Brugse Wit for £5 at lunch. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

Some of my fav's
    Trappistes Rochefort 8
    Urthel Hop-It 9.50%
    Pauwel Kwak 8.4%

Can you get Duvel for under €3 in Dublin anywhere? Its currently €3.29 in O'Briens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

if you are ever thinking of heading to belgium to drink loads of their lovely beer (and you really should) give brussels a miss and head to Bruges. its a nicer looking town and prices are a lot lower than brussels. Beer was generally a euro a bottle cheaper than in brussels. plus you get to try the local bruge beers. Straffe Hendrick quadrupel is just awesome. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/268/63185/

Advertisement