Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing deck Dublin airport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭cjk photos

great idea it the CC you have to worry about health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I feel it's a missed opportunity for someone with the money to get an old double decker bus and kit it out with a coffee shop set up downstairs and viewing area up top.
    It could move between the spots around the airport as traffic movements change,parking it might be a challenge

Whatever happened to this idea?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89795244&postcount=1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89795244#post89795244

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Noxegon wrote: »
    We do.

Apparently I'm still a new user on boards.ie so I can't link to it, but Google for the Foynes Flying Boat Museum.

That place looks like it's well worth a visit - i'm putting in on my "2015 - things to do" list.

I also remember the old dublin airport mueseum from the late 1970's - and the moon rock. Is it true that this moon rock has since been lost?

My best memories from that long ago aviation era was being taken on a guided tour of Baldonnell at a time when it was filled with such interesting types as the the magister, alouette, king air, warriors and spotting a vampire and anson in the hanger.

I think the vampire is currently hanging from the ceiling of the Collins barracks museum near Hueston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Funny enough I emailed Dublin City Council, who told me to email Fingal County Council, who told me to email the DAA, over the condition of the spotting area short of RWY 34 (not great in this stuff, may be 16) and RWY 10. It's a nice place, but it really needs development. Raise it up a bit, throw in a concrete path, steps and a place to park, along with a few picnic benches. As said further back, other airports have nice things (AMS has an area with a McDonald's, telescopes etc.)

man98 wrote: »
    Funny enough I emailed Dublin City Council, who told me to email Fingal County Council, who told me to email the DAA, over the condition of the spotting area short of RWY 34 (not great in this stuff, may be 16) and RWY 10. It's a nice place, but it really needs development. Raise it up a bit, throw in a concrete path, steps and a place to park, along with a few picnic benches. As said further back, other airports have nice things (AMS has an area with a McDonald's, telescopes etc.)

28 end just needs some gravel to help you walk up the mound and not slip over with your camera gear.

10 end is fine, I have no issues with its condition.

Both however need to be raised a little bit more but are fine at present height as you can see/shoot over the new fence fine.

• Advertisement

yes i aree the 28 end is as high as the bus and 10 is perfect as well

In the summer they cut the hedge at 16 /34 and as its not in use that often you will find it hard to get the day right.

Where i think it would work is the area at the gate along the 28 road were they lift or are about to lift.

It am just work as a place for spotters or photgraphers to meet each other and have a tea or coffee

thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's a museum in Baldonnell. Has lots of old Air Corp aircraft and a few bits about Irish aviation in general. Not sure it's open to the public yet, but as far as I'm aware they're planning to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

bernsy wrote: »
    When I worked for DAA i was trained to treat every person entering the door of the terminal as a terrorist.

I think he's referring mainly to the home-grown 70's-80's type of terrorist. I was under impression that the viewing deck was closed due to fear of someone taking pot shots at British Airways planes or whatever.

For many years there was only one entrance open into the terminal and a guard (Garda?) stationed there would wave some kind of sniffer device at everyone's bags.

yes yout right but its now 2015 so its time to move on and get it reopened as it would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Lockheed

We don't need new viewing are, just redevelopment of the layby on Old Dublin road. Tarmac the parking area, plop a snack shop in on one side, concrete path and steps, benches and maybe even have them develop it back and have a green area. It would be nice.

• Advertisement

For me i would love a viewing area in the airport as i am into photography and would love to try night aviation shots of the ramp

You can see from MAN you get some great images

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There's a museum in Baldonnell. Has lots of old Air Corp aircraft and a few bits about Irish aviation in general. Not sure it's open to the public yet, but as far as I'm aware they're planning to open it.

Yeah, it's great. It would be nice if they opened it up to the public but I'm not sure it will be, given it's location within the base. I think there was a feasibility study done on having an aviation museum in South Dublin but I don't know what came out of it.
    dogmatix wrote: »
    My best memories from that long ago aviation era was being taken on a guided tour of Baldonnell at a time when it was filled with such interesting types as the the magister, alouette, king air, warriors and spotting a vampire and anson in the hanger.

I think the vampire is currently hanging from the ceiling of the Collins barracks museum near Hueston.

Pretty sure the museum at Baldonnel has a Vampire, Anson, Cadet, Alouette and a few Chipmunks and Magisters.

They had the King Air but I don't know if they sold it. There was talk about selling it in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Nim wrote: »
    Yeah, it's great. It would be nice if they opened it up to the public but I'm not sure it will be, given it's location within the base. I think there was a feasibility study done on having an aviation museum in South Dublin but I don't know what came out of it.

Pretty sure the museum at Baldonnel has a Vampire, Anson, Cadet, Alouette and a few Chipmunks and Magisters.

They had the King Air but I don't know if they sold it. There was talk about selling it in 2012.

King Air was indeed sold. There was someone out in Weston during the boom trying to develop a mueuem. At one stage there was a DC 3, Fueslage of a Catalina and Bucanneer doted around the field in anticipation of the proposed museum. Never happened. The Catalina was carved up and the DC 3 went to the Indian Historic flight. Bucanneer still there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The Catalina :( It would have broken my heart to watch that getting scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adlima

It's still there and you can access it without going airside. Parking charges would put you off on a regular basis, and you'd want to know when something interesting is due in as it can be quiet at times.
    Some nice pics there of previous visitors to Shannon as well.

Edit: I also recall having to kill a day in Gatwick about 17 years ago. There was an outdoor viewing area there which was great. Was gone the next time I was in Gatwick though.

Is that still open at shannon? I have heard about it but I was under the impression that it was long closed off. Where abouts is it?

On a slightly similar note, I have often asked the same questions about Dubai where I'm based at the moment. There are A380s and 777s in and out every minute at the airport and it is such a shame that they have nothing here to view these stunning aircraft from. There are a few places you can pull in alright but you need to be alert. Apparently the cops don't take too kindly to spotting!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

It was last year when I was there but it was open then. You've to take the lift from the main entrance hall. It can be closed at times without prior warning (no idea why, guess at when troops are in), but usually OK.

Advertisement