Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing deck Dublin airport

Options
  • 04-01-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

What are the chances of getting a viewing area back in Dublin airport like in the old days.

Work safely in some EU airport IE AMS FRA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernsy

When I worked for DAA i was trained to treat every person entering the door of the terminal as a terrorist and for that reason I doubt it will ever happen. They do not understand or want to understand the concept of plane spotting or even just people wanting to wave off friends or family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bernsy wrote: »
    When I worked for DAA i was trained to treat every person entering the door of the terminal as a terrorist and for that reason I doubt it will ever happen. They do not understand or want to understand the concept of plane spotting or even just people wanting to wave off friends or family.

WTF????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

bernsy wrote: »
    When I worked for DAA i was trained to treat every person entering the door of the terminal as a terrorist and for that reason I doubt it will ever happen. They do not understand or want to understand the concept of plane spotting or even just people wanting to wave off friends or family.[/QU

Are you for real

scudzilla wrote: »
    WTF????

Yeah we were told that the only way people should be allowed into an airport was naked and with no baggage and that included staff. I think this particular individual may be retired now but I'm sure his mentality remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I have a few friends who work/worked in Dublin airport, and theres NO WAY were they ever told or trained to treat everyone like a potential terrorist,, in fact quite the opposite..

• Advertisement

I also have friends who still work in security out there and will remember the lecture we got on day 1 of training.

Can I also say that this was a time very soon after "Sept 11th" so things were very different back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭cjk photos

It may have been like that a few years back after 911 but things must be better now ??????

Last time i was in new terminal, there was no viewing deck, shame really,

seeing aircraft on the ramp and the smell of fuel is great

I miss it.

• Advertisement

Even some kind of viewing park along the lines of Manchester would be great and also a bit of extra revenue if run right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm not sure the DAA would want all the hassle to be honest, the extra security etc. and the cost of the infrastructure. I'd also have no clue where a good place to have one of those would be to be honest. Although I do remember the indoor view section there was upstairs in T1 beside the Mezzanine and Pizza Hut... Always good for half an hour to check out what was happening and pass the time. The was also a reasonable view from the adjacent bar from what I remember.

Going by the amount of aviation history associated with a Ireland it's a pity we don't have some sort of aviation museum anywhere though. Run and marketed correctly that could be a nice money maker. If anyone has been to the Le Bourget Air and Space Museum something along those lines would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Strumms wrote: »
    Going by the amount of aviation history associated with a Ireland it's a pity we don't have some sort of aviation museum anywhere though. Run and marketed correctly that could be a nice money maker. If anyone has been to the Le Bourget Air and Space Museum something along those lines would be great.

There is someone trying to setup a museum similiar to the malta aviation foundation here but dont know too much on it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I recall back in the 70's that there was a museum upstairs in Terminal 1. We were often brought there as kids, on a Sunday. I seem to remember a sectioned cockpit from a Viscount (open to correction), there was even a piece of Moon rock from one of the Apollo missions. I also seem to remember a bi-plane hanging from the ceiling as well, possiblly the "Iolar", but there again that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

Anyone else remember it?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I recall back in the 70's that there was a museum upstairs in Terminal 1. We were often brought there as kids, on a Sunday. I seem to remember a sectioned cockpit from a Viscount (open to correction), there was even a piece of Moon rock from one of the Apollo missions. I also seem to remember a bi-plane hanging from the ceiling as well, possiblly the "Iolar", but there again that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

Anyone else remember it?
    begobs i do... brought back memories as a very small kid:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

The cockpit section is in hanger 6 now if i recall correctly was put into storage when the museum closed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I drove up to collect a relative in terminal 2 last month and my nephew asked to tag along for the trip. Up early, 2 1/2 hours in the car, 1 hour in the airport, all the food that he could eat and presies from his aunty. Yet, he was clearly dissapointed in the car back on the M50. When asked what was wrong, he said he didn't even see one plane. Had to do an about turn at Blanch exit, an back to the side road around the airport, in miserable weather.
    It would not have been too difficult to have designed the terminal with a view from the food court.

I agree 2 stroke point well made its for young and not so young

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I don't see a viewing area happening anytime soon, it was suggested by a number of staff a while back as part of the T1 redevelopment but I've heard no more since.

An outdoor area on the mezzanine level in T1 would work. The old meeting place restaurant has been vacant for some time, perfect spot for a little shop and history of Irish Aviation leading to an outdoor viewing area which would allow a decent view of B, most of E ops and some of A. Good view of 16/34 if in use and a clear view of traffic taxing to/from 10/28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Going by the amount of aviation history associated with a Ireland it's a pity we don't have some sort of aviation museum anywhere though

We do.

Apparently I'm still a new user on boards.ie so I can't link to it, but Google for the Foynes Flying Boat Museum.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Lets start a campaign who do we email or contact

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

The main object of the DAA it seems to me (and as an airport administrator it's by no means alone in the world) is to fill the airport with as many shops as possible to extract as much money as possible from the mugs sorry flying public.

Supplying an area to simply watch the plabes is far down the list.

Did Shannon not have enclosed viewing area at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Noxegon wrote: »
    We do.

Apparently I'm still a new user on boards.ie so I can't link to it, but Google for the Foynes Flying Boat Museum.

True, although I prob should have specified one that takes in the whole story of aviation in Ireland rather then just mainly the Foynes story in the main.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

cml387 wrote: »
    The main object of the DAA it seems to me (and as an airport administrator it's by no means alone in the world) is to fill the airport with as many shops as possible to extract as much money as possible from the mugs sorry flying public.

Supplying an area to simply watch the plabes is far down the list.

Agreed but would a small viewing area not have the potential for generating revenue such as paying for the car park, buying food etc.

Surely it would bring a lot of non passengers (ie potential customers) to the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

cjk photos wrote: »
    Lets start a campaign who do we email or contact

Do the DAA need to apply for planning permission for new developments/redevelopments?
    I suggest objections to any airport development that don't include a public viewing area.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

cml387 wrote: »

It's still there and you can access it without going airside. Parking charges would put you off on a regular basis, and you'd want to know when something interesting is due in as it can be quiet at times.
    Some nice pics there of previous visitors to Shannon as well.

Edit: I also recall having to kill a day in Gatwick about 17 years ago. There was an outdoor viewing area there which was great. Was gone the next time I was in Gatwick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there nowhere in the airport to actually see the planes taking off? That's madness. I remember being there years ago and sitting in a large area with full length windows looking out on the apron.
    I later worked on building terminal 1 extension and while there were great views from the higher floors of the extension while under construction, alot of that would be lost on completion.
    I can't believe that they have build a new terminal and have not orientated a public area with proper viewing facilities towards the apron.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The smoking area in the bar upstairs in T1 has to be the biggest let down. They could easily enough have designed it to be looking at to the apron not into the building and with full length glass for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Del2005 wrote: »
    The smoking area in the bar upstairs in T1 has to be the biggest let down. They could easily enough have designed it to be looking at to the apron not into the building and with full length glass for safety.

Funnily enough the smoking are in T1 was part of the old outside viewing area, they blocked it all off, it used to be great as a kid standing outside on top of the building watching the planes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I feel it's a missed opportunity for someone with the money to get an old double decker bus and kit it out with a coffee shop set up downstairs and viewing area up top.
    It could move between the spots around the airport as traffic movements change,parking it might be a challenge

Advertisement