Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when should i take the tree down?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You should take it down on Candlemas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I think the problem is that the kids and schools are back tomorrow, they, unlike most of the country finished work on the Friday, way to early. Now kids are back early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

jester77 wrote: »
    Trees are being picked up on the 7th, but took mine down on Friday. Had enough of the needles falling about the place.

I did not know that this service was available. Is it a service provided by the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Not too many waiting for the 6th or whatever it is. There is a mountain of ditched Christmas trees in the Marlay Park car park this afternoon. Saw one guy dragging two along the road a good 500 metres from the drop off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

And that's a phenomenon which is not exclusive to Ireland

Ah now let's be honest, compared to most countries we really milk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

It is (supposedly) bad luck to take down Christmas decorations before 6th January. Any time before midnight is fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Always January 6th - Little Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

The tree represents:
    Thus, in celebration of the Birth of Jesus (Christmas), we have:
    + A tree (remembrance of what Jesus did on the cross which is called a tree).
    + Lights and ornaments (representational of the glory, and wonder of what Jesus did on the cross).
    + A star at the top, representing the star that was above Jesus Christ at his birth time.
    + Often a nativity scene, which is a model that depicts the birth of Jesus Christ at Christmas time.
    + And we give gifts (God gave us the gift of Jesus on his birth, the wise men gave Jesus birthday presents, and Jesus gave us the gift of salvation on the tree

I'd keep it up for as long as you feel those things are important.

Tree and decorations go up the weekend before Christmas and everything is taken down and put into storage on the first weekend of the New Year.
    Also, all sweets, biscuits, Christmas food must be gone by the time the tree comes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I always take them down on the 2nd. A pal of mine keeps the tree up until all the quality street and Baileys have gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I always take them down on the 2nd. A pal of mine keeps the tree up until all the quality street and Baileys have gone.

Stephen's day seems a tad on the early side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Might as well keep it up now. You'll save yourself the effort of putting it up again in 11 months

Remember Thurles Town Council tried that once so as not to cause traffic jams whilst taking them down. The next December turning on the lights most the bulbs were gone and they had to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

My grandparents always sweared by taking them down on the 26th. Now, we normally just do it on whatever day suits after the 1st. Helping my mother take everything down tomorrow.

The house always seems very bare afterwards though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

annascott wrote: »
    I did not know that this service was available. Is it a service provided by the council?

It is here in germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

In 8 months they'll be back up so just leave it up use it as a clothes horse in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

don't believe in bad luck. a biody makes their own luck.

But of bad luck on the last sentence there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Oh the ironing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'll take ours down on the 6th, but like many posters, they didn't go up until close to Christmas either.

I'm actually not crazy on the run up to Christmas. But I love the Christmas period from Christmas Day onwards (the traditional 12 days of Christmas). It's a peaceful quiet time of year. Once Nollag na mBan is over, the Christmas is over for me.

It just feels weird to me that so many people consider Christmas over by the 26th, when it's actually only the start. I enjoy relaxing into those quiet days, watching TV, reading, drinking tea (or something stronger), all with the lights twinkling away in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

You're meant to take it down the day after Epiphany or 'Little Christmas' on 7th of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

When my wife finally gives in to my nagging over getting rid of it, which usually starts on 26th

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Mine went up 23/12 and came down yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I took mine down Jan 2. But each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Eramen wrote: »
    You're meant to take it down the day after Epiphany or 'Little Christmas' on 7th of January.

Little Christmas is the 6th of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

After womens' Christmas, its on the 6th January, Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Little Christmas is the 6th of January.

Exactly, take it down the day after Epiphany, or Little Christmas, which is the 7th of January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I'm back to work tomorrow night so it's coming down tomorrow. I love Christmas but I really don't want to be leaving it up until next weekend, which is what would have happened. Anyway, the sooner I get it down, the sooner I can start the countdown to Halloween. God, I love Halloween...

Christmas is over, why are the decorations still up.... Sure Tesco stockrooms are full of Easter eggs at the moment, they should be on the shelves shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

A lot of religious people on this thread, im surprised by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Stephen's morning. Grab it at the base, out the door, and top first into the wheelie bin. Lights, decorations everything. I mean, its all over once the presents are opened.

* in truth, January 7th. Like every other decent person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

P_Cash wrote: »
    Back to work in morning, and will be late home each eve.

Will many people take it down today?

My mother was always holding for jan 7th , light them for the last time on jan 6th little Christmas she would say.

Ive seen take them down after the 12 days on some forums. I'm all confused, would prefer not to bring bad luck on me at the moment.
    Take it down on 7th of Jan

/thread

Advertisement