Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCUMULATORS

Options
  • 03-01-2015 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I only do accumulators as I feel it's the only way to possibly beat the bookie in the long run. That said it has been proving difficult to get 4 or 5 winners up in the same bet. Has anyone here ever won big on an accumulator?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I only do accumulators as I feel it's the only way to possibly beat the bookie in the long run. That said it has been proving difficult to get 4 or 5 winners up in the same bet. Has anyone here ever won big on an accumulator?

Accumulators are the worst possible bet to win long term

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

madness, in saying that I do the odd lucky fifteen and at most make a slight profit. I only ever profit betting singles. The type of bet bookies are afraid are big weighty singles. a small multiple bet is fine on the side.
    great time of year to keep / start betting diary. keep a record of the type of bet and you will see how much they cost you. paddy power and boylesports both have pocket diary which are great for it

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kalinisi

When I was younger I thought the same, also wasn't unusual for me to fancy 5 or 6 horses on a day and go for lucky 31s etc...
    However once I refined my betting I stopped doing this, backed less and mainly singles, if I do however fancy a couple of horses I can't help but do a very small stakes lucky 15etc just incase! But to nowhere near what my singles bet would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Nothing wrong with accumulators if they're good individual bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Accumulators are mug bets, but sometimes it's nice to throw a few together that you fancy for the chance to win big. Basically, think of it as a lottery ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Friend of mine on Facebook
    Has put up pictures of accumulators which came in from during last year, I would say about 10 accumulators came up with winning from between 800 to 1800. And a lot of the bets he only staked a fiver

I never win on accumulators, I did win with a 50 euro double earlier in the year when tiggy wiggy and brown panther won , returned near 800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Yep should be avoided but sometimes when i go through the card and see a few shorties I'll throw them together as I don't really like backing them as singles. Also if I think a stable has a few nice ones out I'll put them together.
    Ive actually gone for an Alistair Rawlinson treble tomorrow, here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Accumulater bets are for football and not for racing! Most I'd ever do nowadays would be a treble and even that's a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭YoungKhalifa

Surprised no one else seems to think like this. I've come so close so many times. I went a whole week being let down by just one every day. Anyway gonna have a bash at it again tomorrow.

12.30 Fort Smith 1/8
    12.50 Devilment 100/30
    13.50 Carracci Apache 13/8
    15.05 High Expectations 4/1
    15.35 Kalopsia 9/4
    15.55 Hold The Bucks 6/1

Each way... just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Surprised no one else seems to think like this. I've come so close so many times. I went a whole week being let down by just one every day. Anyway gonna have a bash at it again tomorrow.

12.30 Fort Smith 1/8
    12.50 Devilment 100/30
    15.35 Kalopsia 9/4
    15.55 Hold The Bucks 6/1

Each way... just in case
    Each way?? One of the horses is a 1/8 shot. The bookies must love you

• Advertisement

12.30 Fort Smith 1/8
    12.50 Devilment 100/30
    15.35 Kalopsia 9/4
    15.55 Hold The Bucks 6/1

Each way... just in case

Why put a 1/8 shot in there at all! Just do a placepot or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Why put a 1/8 shot in there at all! Just do a placepot or something

Fully agree. While I'm a bookies dream myself, I would never even consider a 1/8 shot in a single, much less a multiple. Far too many factors against any horse getting around a track in one piece even if running on it's own, nevermind against others.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Noble Friend 9-1 3.55
    McCarty Mor 5-1 1.10
    Find Rightly 11-4 1.00
    Tell us More 8-11 1.30
    Balkinstown 6-1 3.05

Boo yaw! 50 win LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Noble Friend 9-1 3.55
    McCarty Mor 5-1 1.10
    Find Rightly 11-4 1.00
    Tell us More 8-11 1.30
    Balkinstown 6-1 3.05

Boo yaw! 50 win LOL

Balls. Have to back that. Just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Accumulater bets are for football and not for racing! Most I'd ever do nowadays would be a treble and even that's a stretch.

Thought you gave it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ott but anyone know when 365 have all the racing prices up? Found myself up at this hour yet still nothing

Arctic89 wrote: »
    Thought you gave it up?

I still do some bets but not anywhere near the stages I was. It's become a bit of fun now rather than a necessity to gamble I've won money and lost money but one thing I've learned to do in these past 2yrs is not to chase my money. Seeing some of them post's actually remind me at my worst putting 1/8 shots in bets. I remember crazily have a load on Zaynar one year when he was 1/10 or something ridiculous trying to win an extra €20/€30 and he was beat. Ridiculous throwing horses at those prices in A bet

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

You feel it's the only way to beat the bookie? I'd be very, very surprised if you have ever got an Accum up with horses in it.

Anyone doing an accum needs their head examined. Not only are they near impossible to land, you're also getting robbed - return wise. Say you've five 1/1 shots in a docket, taking into account the bookies margins then you're getting absolutely scammed. The bookies have big margins built in to every race & even with singles it's bad enough. But the reality is if you have all those 1/1 shots in your accum & it did ever click - the reality is you should be getting back probably double than what you are really getting.

I still do some bets but not anywhere near the stages I was. It's become a bit of fun now rather than a necessity to gamble I've won money and lost money but one thing I've learned to do in these past 2yrs is not to chase my money. Seeing some of them post's actually remind me at my worst putting 1/8 shots in bets. I remember crazily have a load on Zaynar one year when he was 1/10 or something ridiculous trying to win an extra €20/€30 and he was beat. Ridiculous throwing horses at those prices in A bet

Yeah there's a fella I work with and I'd be quite concerned about his gambling but its not my place to say it to him. He laughs at me when I tell him I fancy a 20/1 shot. Every time he says the same thing 'yeah but will it win'. Has no appreciation for value or can't understand that you can fancy a big priced horse. Every time I say it 'If you came to me and said Frank there's a 1/3 shot tonight that will not be beaten I'd put 3k on it'. No such thing as a certainty no matter how its price may suggest it. Anyone remember Rachel Alexander getting beat at 1/20? Montjeu done at 1/10, Zafonic beaten by Kingmambo at the same price. Zaynar beaten by a nag at 1/14

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

I think many people fall into thinking that odd's represents the changes of the horse actually winning! i.e. it's 1/3 and so it's a banker. Some people must look at me weirdly when I nap a 10/1 or bigger.

I'd love to see a breakdown of the market in terms of bets placed on favourites by 'Type of Punter'. I assume the majority of the market favourites are backed by those who havent even looked at the racecard, they are looking for a quick buck and only backing it because it's short price and HAS TO WIN, therefore driving the price even shorter. I'm thinking of the punter who throws 20 quid on A P McCoy in a Class 5 because they recognise the jockey. It's people like this who (i think) drive the market. It doesnt really indicate or justify the chances of the horse, it just means a lot of people (and some of them could be well misinformed or just guessing) have backed the horse. It's similar to the Grand National when you have average joe backing a horse because he/she likes their name - Shakalakaboomboom springs to mind, I wonder what price that horse would have went off at in last years national if it was called something else

In terms of accumulators, I do like to have an accumulator but know that when the bookies are offering 70/1, then there is a reason why they are offering 70/1. It's hard enough trying to pick out one winner, never mind 3, 4, 5 etc. I keep my stakes down to a minimal when placing accumulators, and my expectations are also kept to a minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

QED. Fort Smith beaten at 1/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Yeah there's a fella I work with and I'd be quite concerned about his gambling but its not my place to say it to him. He laughs at me when I tell him I fancy a 20/1 shot. Every time he says the same thing 'yeah but will it win'. Has no appreciation for value or can't understand that you can fancy a big priced horse. Every time I say it 'If you came to me and said Frank there's a 1/3 shot tonight that will not be beaten I'd put 3k on it'. No such thing as a certainty no matter how its price may suggest it. Anyone remember Rachel Alexander getting beat at 1/20? Montjeu done at 1/10, Zafonic beaten by Kingmambo at the same price. Zaynar beaten by a nag at 1/14

Zaynar lol

I remember that day, heavy ground around somewhere like Stratford or something. That horse was a weird one.

Actually I remember it was a giant of a horse 'Que e 2' that beat him wasn't it? Brilliant name for a giant horse

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭YoungKhalifa

Well lads, you wouldn't believe! Switched out Devilment for Pain Au Chocolat at the last minute and left Fort Smith out.

FINAL BET

Pain Au Chocolat 8/11 WON
    Caracci Apache 5/2 WON
    High Expectations 6/1 WON
    Kalopsia 5/2 WITHDRAWN
    Hold The Bucks 9/2 WON

Thanks to all who said it's stupid to put in an 1/8 shot. Going up now to finally hold the bucks!! Yes, just beat the bookie and they ain't getting it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kalinisi

Well lads, you wouldn't believe! Switched out Devilment for Pain Au Chocolat at the last minute and left Fort Smith out.

FINAL BET

Caracci Apache 5/2 WON
    Kalopsia 5/2 WITHDRAWN
    Hold The Bucks 9/2 WON

Thanks to all who said it's stupid to put in an 1/8 shot. Going up now to finally hold the bucks!! Yes, just beat the bookie and they ain't getting it back!

Congrats! Always love to hear someone catching the bookies!!! Hope it pays a few christmas bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

l

To be honest I wouldnt believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

FINAL BET

Caracci Apache 5/2 WON
    Kalopsia 5/2 WITHDRAWN
    Hold The Bucks 9/2 WON

Unbelievable foresight. You replaced the two losing selections and kept all the winning ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I know a bloke who does a lot of accs, doubles and trebles, always consisting of short priced favs (and yes he'll throw in 1/3 shot, I think his record is about 1/8). He'll put €100, even €200 on them.....I can't help but laugh inside though when they go tits up as he's always waffling as if he knows it all about horses.

I usually don't take satisfaction in anyone losing but he's the type who won't mention losing (only winning) and if he does lose a bet you have pre-existing knowledge of he'll be onto you like a shot either saying he didn't do it in the end or had a "saver" on some other yoke.

I'm sure yis know the type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

FINAL BET

Caracci Apache 5/2 WON
    Kalopsia 5/2 WITHDRAWN
    Hold The Bucks 9/2 WON

The first bolded is very accurate but ignoring that, the second bolded is not so accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

FINAL BET

Caracci Apache 5/2 WON
    Kalopsia 5/2 WITHDRAWN
    Hold The Bucks 9/2 WON

Pure after timing either put up a picture of the docket or admit your talking sh!te.

• Advertisement

Woah what are the chances!? Outstanding foresight, kudos to you!

Advertisement