Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport ATC and BA Exchange

Options
  • 02-01-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Just listened to this and am somewhat surprised and disappointed and at the time killing of the BA pilot with the ATC member.

Appears he was deliberately stalling while the ATC member was trying to move things along.

At the end of the clip above; a mention is made that the flight deck crew would have to contact heathrow ground because of this.

Would ATC submit a report to BA about this and would the flight deck have a 'chat' with the chief pilot too??

Just curious....

Islanderre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

Failing to comply with instructions from ATC

Among other things it shows how professional he is and how much he cares for anyone but himself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Something similar happened last night it was the Ethiad or Emerites I can't remember which but they were cleared to line up on 28 but refused the clearance as the cabin wasn't ready yet. The difference was they were immediately instructed to confirm that they were still short of the stop bars and continue waiting. From memory 2 or 3 aircraft landed in the space of the next 5 minutes ahead of them.

It's not the longest taxi in the world alright but would the cockpit brief the cabin to be efficient in getting their secure checks complete because of this or could it possibly be a case of some dozy pax standing up mid taxi to get something from the overhead as I have seen on all all too regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

What an ignorant tool. BA845 wasn't ready right up to and including a line-up instruction, as she rightly states you should not be entering E1 if you are not fully ready especially at DUB when traffic behind is fully ready - I'm sure if he tried this sort of malarkey at Heathrow he would be quickly slapped to touch not only by ATCO's there but by BA themselves.

Also what's the deal with ''Madam'' whenever he was given an instruction which he continued to refuse to follow, does he reply ''Gentleman'' to male ATCO's? Didn't think so. Seriously unprofessional and he needs to be reprimanded for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I don't disagree that unless the flight was actually ready once at the holding-point, it should have complied with the ATC request.

That said, when an aircraft at the hold says that it's not ready, the usual ATC response is "roger, hold short". This happens several times a day when a flight says they are waiting on the cabin to be ready - and BA are not the only company involved. To have had BA enter the runway and vacate, then have another aircraft line up and depart, would probably have taken a couple of minutes and would not usually be attempted. Was the following aircraft on a time-critical slot?

In my view it was not appropriate, once BA said he was ready and she cleared him to line up, for ATC then to initiate a discussion about the previous ATC instructions. If she wanted to ensure an expeditious departure at that point, it should have been left to Dublin Centre to take the whole matter up with the flight once it was safely airborne and on course. Only essential ATC communications should be issued during critical phases of flight, of which line-up and take-off is one.

I would add finally that listening to the recording does not give any of us the full picture that ATC would have had, including the number of aircraft in the departure queue and those on approach and their positions at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I suspect there's more to this; I often hear Ground asking BA if they're actually ready and have got the figures (I believe they receive their takeoff performance solution via acars) before they get handed over to tower. How many times has anyone heard Ground ask FR or EI if they're ready? They just get told to monitor tower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I think it's actually the final loadsheet they get via ACARS. Up until that point all the trim and take off performance is based on provisional data. Have had the unpleasant experience of being stuck behind one of these ignorant Nigel's at a single runway airport many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Could you give me a date / time I would like to hear the surrounding transmissions.

Was it on my feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Mech, if you go to the Youtube page the uploader states that it was on Christmas Eve. I note he adds in a comment that he has edited out two minutes of the transmissions during the time period.

My vote of support goes to the lady.

Thank this post if you agree, someone might see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Mech1 wrote: »
    My vote of support goes to the lady.

Thank this post if you agree, someone might see it.

Can you put up a link to the full convo Mech? Its usually a busy departure time, its around 9am

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Can you put up a link to the full convo Mech? Its usually a busy departure time, its around 9am

Thats fr336's speciality, says midday in the youtube link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Two aircraft had to go around because of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

FWVT wrote: »

If that was an FR crew that did that it'd be all over the Journal here getting slated and the daily fail in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

As someone else said here already, a Shamrock pilot doing this in Heathrow would have his or her tail feathers shot off for this. Can this BA gobsh!the be reprimanded or disciplined for his actions? Has he broken any rules or regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'm on the hunt for the full conversation...will get back to you

It was approx 11am on 24th Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Does the LiveATC Android app not have an archive? I can't find that clip on it.

I'm just trying to listen back myself for anything additional but archive is here http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php?m=eidw4 Select 24th December 11am-11:30am. Their conversation starts approx 5 mins in but there could be more info before or after I guess.

He didn't wish her a Merry Christmas either! :D

fr336 wrote: »
    He didn't wish her a Merry Christmas either! :D

That's made this debacle twice as bad... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Has he broken any rules or regs?

He refused to vacate runway 28 onto 34 several times. That's a blatent disregard for the rules imho. I hope Dublin ATC do follow this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Is there any Regs for ignoring ATC commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

FWVT wrote: »

I was watching this happen from the spotting mound and there were no aircraft on approach at the time, if there were you would hear them on frequency.

The problem was the other aircraft waiting to take off ..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭cjk photos

cant decided who is in the wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It is obvious its him

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭cjk photos

She got a bit loud at one stage and he keep his cool.

I'd say you would have to get a bit loud when someone has ignored your ATC instructions three or four times, she would have had to get the loudspeaker out next. He just sound sarcastic.

cjk photos wrote: »
    She got a bit loud at one stage and he keep his cool.

I don't think she got loud at all. She pointed out politely but firmly that he'd been asked to vacate the runway three times and he ignored this. He should've got a kicked ass for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Same controller just brought this up again with a speedbird, he reported ready and she asked him was the cabin ready because there had been problems recently of BA crews reporting ready when they actually weren't.. She ain't letting this one go

Same controller just brought this up again with a speedbird, he reported ready and she asked him was the cabin ready because there had been problems recently of BA crews reporting ready when they actually weren't.. She ain't letting this one go

You serious?

• Advertisement

I don't think you can be as I've had the tower on for an hour and not heard this....unless she's on ground today?

Advertisement