Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi's and Fuel Prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

What price was a litre of fuel in 2008 when the current rates were introduced?

About 1 euro per litre in december. I remember that because I had just came back from holidays and was amazed. 1.20ish on average for the rest of the year.

There was a spike in diesel prices mid-year and it was about 1.40 per litre.

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/~/media/Files/AA%20Ireland/Reports/Fuelprices%20history.ashx

As for the topic. Fuel is just one expense taxi drivers face. I do not think they should reduce their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

About 1 euro per litre in december. I remember that because I had just came back from holidays and was amazed. 1.20ish on average for the rest of the year.

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/~/media/Files/AA%20Ireland/Reports/Fuelprices%20history.ashx

It did fly up much higher after this and it had a lot of people on their arses. I can remember paying 1.51 at Esso in Maynooth off the M4 at one stage but I can't remember when this was, maybe 2009/10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

FR85 wrote: »
    It did fly up much higher after this and it had a lot of people on their arses. I can remember paying 1.51 at Esso in Maynooth off the M4 at one stage but I can't remember when this was, maybe 2009/10?

2010 was when the prices started to readily rise but they were still around 1.20-1.30 on average. 2012 saw huge price increases with petrol going for as much as 1.70 per litre in some establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

And what sort of increase did the taxi drivers get then when the rates increased dramatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

In regards to reading articles I have done, they are great and thanks for them. I did read them and they in no way answered my initial question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read them none the less and yes I was off about when they last had in increase.

I do apologise if I caused any grief or hassle on this. It was purely a wonder.
    With regards to prices in work I don't have the power to yay or nay prices as the boss was off for the Christmas. It most likely is something that will be looked at to keep custom coming as at the end of the day this is the most important thing.

One poster is saying that fuel is a small cost of running a taxi, Ardle1 says it's another mortgage so again information on this is a bit loose so I'm going to bow down as it's an on-going debate which everyone has an opinion on.

They are getting their increase in April, enjoy. Matter closed.

Almost.
    As you have mentioned Transport costs are a large consideration within your own workplace.
    Did you have to accept a Wage decrease when Fuel Prices rose relatively dramatically over the past 18 months or so, as obviously your Company wasn't as profitable ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

I've had the "you know what's" hacked out of my wallet over the last 12 years due to the competitive nature of what I do, again thems the brakes as they say. Yes I've taken pay cuts as have most of the population.

Blessed and happy that I am employed and that I have the option to do overtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

What price was a litre of fuel in 2008 when the current rates were introduced?

Just furthering on this, has the cost of running a taxi gone up since 2008? Like insurance, tax and maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fatmamil

You have mentioned other forms of transport like Ryanair and I think its fair to mention that they charge for luggage and this was removed from Taxi fares by the regulator and its fair to say that over the last few years and since the recession most Taxis don't apply the call out charge when you book a Taxi. The extras charged for carrying kids was also reduced . They also never charged a fuel supplement charge like most forms of Transport did over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

<snipped> They can get me across to a different country and over a sea cheaper then I can get over the M50 and down the N7!!!

And if you take a €100 journey in a taxi with 4 of you in it , it's only €25 each, your point being that it's cheaper if you have more people on the journey I assume?

The reality of the Ryanair fares is that there are a LIMITED number of seats that you can buy at the promotional price, that's why if you wanted to travel to LGW tomorrow it would cost you between €160 and €240 p.p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

As for the topic. Fuel is just one expense taxi drivers face. I do not think they should reduce their prices.

Seeing as the fare reviews are every 2 years you need to look at the fuel costs between 2006-2008

A quick look seems to be between €1.05 and €1.43 for that period with a drop for the first 4-5 months of 2009, remember that thing called a recession when they feared a glut of fuel so OPEC cut production to raise the price of a barrel of oil

GraphEngine.ashx?z=f&gf=110537.USD.bbl&dr=max

• Advertisement
Advertisement