Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi's and Fuel Prices

Options
  • 02-01-2015 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

All,

I'm sitting down and ready to take a bashing here!!! Now that fuel prices are at an all time low when are the taxi drivers going to look at lowering their prices?
    I know their road tax is low and insurance can be quite high but I think fuel prices were always a gripe of theirs??

Also, I don't know if this is in the right section so please feel free to remove/move it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

FR85 wrote: »
    All,

I'm sitting down and ready to take a bashing here!!! Now that fuel prices are at an all time low when are the taxi drivers going to look at lowering their prices?
    I know their road tax is low and insurance can be quite high but I think fuel prices were always a gripe of theirs??

Also, I don't know if this is in the right section so please feel free to remove/move it!

It'll be 3 days after bus and train fares come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

All,

What age are you ????
    Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    What age are you ????
    Just wondering.

When I said all time low,yeah I see where you are coming from.

Now that fuel prices are coming down........ is that better?

• Advertisement

7 years since they last had an increase and now they are getting 4%....compared to some Sectors it is unreal. But probably not in the way you mean.
    Also if you look at the way this Fare change works it's an average of a 4% increase. Shorter city-centre trips will work out slightly cheaper than the current cost....very long journeys (over 15km) will be cheaper.
    So it's only a certain type of journey that will have an increased cost.

7 years since they last had an increase and now they are getting 4%....compared to some Sectors it is unreal. But probably not in the way you mean.
    Also if you look at the way this Fare change works it's an average of a 4% increase. Shorter city-centre trips will work out slightly cheaper than the current cost....very long journeys (over 15km) will be cheaper.
    So it's only a certain type of journey that will have an increased cost.

I thought they had an increase in the last couple of years?

I just wondered if there was going to be some form of price drop as I have seen the difference in filling my car at the pumps so no doubt they have too. That coupled with cheaper road tax on say a 2007 1.9 TDI Octavia they don't have it too bad. Yes there is more servicing, wear and tear but that goes hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I just wondered if there was going to be some form of price drop as I have seen the difference in filling my car at the pumps so no doubt they have too. That coupled with cheaper road tax on say a 2007 1.9 TDI Octavia they don't have it too bad. Yes there is more servicing, wear and tear but that goes hand in hand.

Sure, start running a taxi yourself so and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

All,

fuel prices are a gripe of virtually every other business especially retail for last many years, but I doubt they will lower prices either.... its just business

Fuel Prices are probably one of the most volatile cost-of-living expenses out there.
    The NTA will only review Taxi Fares every Two years. Fuel prices can, and do, change dramatically every month. If there was a fare decrease today (based on your thinking) would you be happy with a larger Fare increase in Three Months time simply because Fuel Prices rose dramatically ?
    Bear in mind that although there was a certain amount of noise (from the usual suspects in the Taxi Industry, far from a majority) when Fuel Costs rose a couple of years ago, there wasn't any Fare increase given.
    Why should there be a decrease now based on just one aspect of their running costs ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Unreal

Not really when did they last have a. Increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

2008 is the last one AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So should there be a base price (which is reviewed every couple of years ) and a fuel surcharge matching pump prices.. ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Next time you take a taxi, why don't you ask the driver when they're dropping the prices. Or tell him you'd give him a tip, but sure, he's saving a bloody fortune on the diesel and the tax now.

When your ears stop ringing and your head stops spinning share the news with everyone here. We're all waiting with bated breath for the prices to fall, what with the bank bailout and Haley's comet not coming back for donkeys years yet.

Jesus.

Here, now the fuel prices have fallen so much and you're noticing the saving at the pumpes, I suppose you'll be heading in to work to tell them to cut your pay, or calling revenue to offer to pay more in tax, won't you?

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

It won't be too many years before taxi driving as a profession disappears. If Google have their way, a self driving electric car which can bombard Saturday night passengers with ads for the chippers on the route home will replace the driver. Think about it, the car can charge itself rather than sit at a rank making no money, and with the wages of a driver out of the equation, taxis which will carry 5 passengers will be a good deal cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Who's been watching too many old action movies during Christmas?

295774-johnny-cab.jpg

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sure, start running a taxi yourself so and let us know how you get on.

I have a job, I also have a car which has **** the sheets a few times which I've been on here saying and trying to offer help to others on. I cover in and around 75,000kms annually so I have the wear and tear, I know the costs of running a car along with a higher band of insurance due to my mileage.
    I also have the costs of a house, ESB, phone, food on my plate and a shirt on my back so don't give me that crap son.

I only came on here asking as over the Christmas again through work I had to argue with clients on the cost of transport in vans due to fuel prices and the other day while in a cab it got me thinking.

BreadnBuddha, I have been in cabs with drivers who whine and moan about the cost of everything so yes my ears have been ringing. I was also in a cab with a driver from the airport who asked where I was flying from and if I was Irish and when I said I was his reply was: so I guess I can't give you the "tour" ha ha!!

Yes I get that deregulation messed up many for that I am sorry but as a consumer do I not have a right to ask????

I have a job, I also have a car which has **** the sheets a few times which I've been on here saying and trying to offer help to others on. I cover in and around 75,000kms annually so I have the wear and tear, I know the costs of running a car along with a higher band of insurance due to my mileage.
    I also have the costs of a house, ESB, phone, food on my plate and a shirt on my back so don't give me that crap son.

I only came on here asking as over the Christmas again through work I had to argue with clients on the cost of transport in vans due to fuel prices and the other day while in a cab it got me thinking.

BreadnBuddha, I have been in cabs with drivers who whine and moan about the cost of everything so yes my ears have been ringing. I was also in a cab with a driver from the airport who asked where I was flying from and if I was Irish and when I said I was his reply was: so I guess I can't give you the "tour" ha ha!!

Yes I get that deregulation messed up many for that I am sorry but as a consumer do I not have a right to ask????

Not without doing the basics of finding out how the fares are set or even when they were last reviewed

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not without doing the basics of finding out how the fares are set or even when they were last reviewed

In that case people shouldn't ask questions on here at all really should they?

In that case people shouldn't ask questions on here at all really should they?

Only if they're trying to provoke a reaction, myself I'd use Google every time

http://www.transportforireland.ie/fares/taxi/ 3rd result for search
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=taxi+fares+set+how+in+ireland&oq=taxi+fares+set+how+in+ireland&aqs=chrome..69i57.27002j0j4&client=ms-android-hms-tef-ie&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »

Provoking a reaction wasn't the plan nor the intention.
    I did google it, super suggestion but where in there was my question answered??? I do not see anything regarding to my original post. Again I'm not having a pop!!!
    Simple information based on the present is all I was after.

I can only assume from the question mark at the end of your sentence that you didn't bother to have a look at the short press release which Atlantic Dawn linked to in an earler post.
    Anyway.....
    As already mentioned Fuel costs are only one of many costs incurred by Taxi Drivers.
    Did you notice in the same press release that the annual cost of renewing a taxi Licence is rising from €125 to €150 (a 20% rise imposed by the NTA, overnight) ?
    Are you aware that the cost of renewing a Taxi PSV Licence rose dramatically when the Taxi Regulator took over the running of the Industry....from €3 to €250 ( a rise of 8,234% ) ?
    Presumably, seeing as you cover big mileage you would be au fait with the cost of repairs on modern diesels. DMF's, DPF's, etc which are all relatively recent "advances" in motoring Technology, and which are now almost considered 'Service items' rather than 'Repair Costs' ?
    But despite these costs you seem to think that just because the Price of a litre of Fuel drops a bit (possibly only for a few weeks) that Taxi Drivers should reduce their Fares ???
    Why not ask the same question of Ryanair or Irish Ferries ? Their Fuel costs would be a much higher percentage of their running costs than a Taxi driver.

Excuse me but you came on here spouting about how simplistic it should be to reduce taxi prices because fuel prices have dropped for a while yet you have no experience of actually running a taxi.

To quote your other post.

Originally Posted by FR85 View Post

Nobody is against asking questions around here but you specifically suggested above that taxi drivers don't have it too bad yet you have no experience of owning or running a taxi. As I said get one on the road yourself and let us know how good it is then.

I can only assume from the question mark at the end of your sentence that you didn't bother to have a look at the short press release which Atlantic Dawn linked to in an earler post.
    Anyway.....
    As already mentioned Fuel costs are only one of many costs incurred by Taxi Drivers.
    Did you notice in the same press release that the annual cost of renewing a taxi Licence is rising from €125 to €150 (a 20% rise imposed by the NTA, overnight) ?
    Are you aware that the cost of renewing a Taxi PSV Licence rose dramatically when the Taxi Regulator took over the running of the Industry....from €3 to €250 ( a rise of 8,234% ) ?
    Presumably, seeing as you cover big mileage you would be au fait with the cost of repairs on modern diesels. DMF's, DPF's, etc which are all relatively recent "advances" in motoring Technology, and which are now almost considered 'Service items' rather than 'Repair Costs' ?
    But despite these costs you seem to think that just because the Price of a litre of Fuel drops a bit (possibly only for a few weeks) that Taxi Drivers should reduce their Fares ???
    Why not ask the same question of Ryanair or Irish Ferries ? Their Fuel costs would be a much higher percentage of their running costs than a Taxi driver.

Did I or did I not ask a simple question based on one aspect only?
    Did I state that I knew that road tax was low while insurance was high?
    I offered the figures and displayed the little knowledge I had on this topic and I was looking for pointers.

I've done DMF with clutch, I've had DPF, inlet manifold, and EGR problems, shocks all round, wishbones, one CV joint, injector problems and all the usual so yes.....oh along with a ditzy blonde crashing into me!!!

Ryanair?? Do they not offer Dublin to say London for SFA sometimes?? I found a flight to London for €44 on their site, the fare to get me from the airport home to my home beside Naas was double that, so that was a great point you brought up there!!! They can get me across to a different country and over a sea cheaper then I can get over the M50 and down the N7!!!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Excuse me but you came on here spouting about how simplistic it should be to reduce taxi prices because fuel prices have dropped for a while yet you have no experience of actually running a taxi.

To quote your other post.

Originally Posted by FR85 View Post

Nobody is against asking questions around here but you specifically suggested above that taxi drivers don't have it too bad yet you have no experience of owning or running a taxi. As I said get one on the road yourself and let us know how good it is then.

I didn't spout on about how simplistic it would be at all, I just asked if it was something that was going to be looked at.

And the bold part above was with reference to road tax. I drive a 2ltr TDI and it's €800 odd a year to tax, that;s where I was coming from on that front Bazz.

I work in a company that has three vans on the road, I'm familiar with similar enough road tax, DOE every year and keeping them on the road as much as possible as the transport costs are a minor source of income and as stated clients were having a go at us with regards to fuel prices being dropped and our prices being the same...........that's where this all stemmed from!!!!

Ok, taxis pay €333 for motor taxi afaik but that is a very small saving in the grand scheme of things, look at the cost of insurance for a PSV. It costs thousands per year as it has to include public liability.

You also have to take into account the amount of taxis on the road these days. Since the recession taxing has become the fall back plan for so many people made unemployed, that along with the deregulation makes it cheap enough to get a taxi on the road but so much competition out there makes it really hard to make any sort of living from it. Then you have the full time drivers trying to compete against the part drivers who have another day job and only drive at weekends when demand is strongest. BTW I've never worked as a taxi driver myself but I have family members who do and according to them it's no picnic.

Did I or did I not ask a simple question based on one aspect only?
    Did I state that I knew that road tax was low while insurance was high?
    I offered the figures and displayed the little knowledge I had on this topic and I was looking for pointers.

I've done DMF with clutch, I've had DPF, inlet manifold, and EGR problems, shocks all round, wishbones, one CV joint, injector problems and all the usual so yes.....oh along with a ditzy blonde crashing into me!!!

Ryanair?? Do they not offer Dublin to say London for SFA sometimes?? I found a flight to London for €44 on their site, the fare to get me from the airport home to my home beside Naas was double that, so that was a great point you brought up there!!! They can get me across to a different country and over a sea cheaper then I can get over the M50 and down the N7!!!
    Yes,you came on here and asked a question. It was answered but you appear reluctant to thank somebody for the answer and move on.
    The Ryanair comparison is valid. What you don't take into account is the number of passengers aboard a plane, compared to a Taxi.Only a certain number of seats are available at cheaper prices....as the flight fills up the fares go up.
    You seem reluctant to accept that Fuel Prices are only a small proportion of Taxi running costs.
    You also admitted that your own company did not reduce delivery charges despite queries from customers......maybe you could concentrate on that 1st and then ask questions about industries in which you have no knowledge (and won't even read articles which other posters link to).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

All,

Eh! The fuel prices were absolutely killing us, and literally putting some drivers off the road.
    So the fuel prices may have come down but we are still in an 'average' wage job.... And fuel per month for a taxi still comes in at mortgage levels..
    But thanks for your concern anyway.

In regards to reading articles I have done, they are great and thanks for them. I did read them and they in no way answered my initial question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read them none the less and yes I was off about when they last had in increase.

I do apologise if I caused any grief or hassle on this. It was purely a wonder.
    With regards to prices in work I don't have the power to yay or nay prices as the boss was off for the Christmas. It most likely is something that will be looked at to keep custom coming as at the end of the day this is the most important thing.

One poster is saying that fuel is a small cost of running a taxi, Ardle1 says it's another mortgage so again information on this is a bit loose so I'm going to bow down as it's an on-going debate which everyone has an opinion on.

They are getting their increase in April, enjoy. Matter closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What price was a litre of fuel in 2008 when the current rates were introduced?

Advertisement