Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write Club - Write Harder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I don't think I've ever posted in this forum before but this sounds like a great idea. I need to get more intentional with my writing so I think this'll be great practise. One I get access I'll join in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Anyone ready for another prompt? I can provide it today and give you two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Das Kitty wrote: »

Yes, I will DEFINITELY do it this time. I might even do the first one as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Yes Please.

Okay, let me think of one. :)

• Advertisement

Just added this prompt to Write Club.

Due Date: 23nd February 2015 (Monday)
    Prompt #1: Write a poem, or a short piece of prose (fiction / non-fiction) based upon an antihero, or from their point of view.

Again, if you would like to get access to Write Club (private forum), please contact pickarooney.

Just added this prompt to Write Club.

Due Date: 23nd February 2015 (Monday)
    Prompt #1: Write a poem, or a short piece of prose (fiction / non-fiction) based upon an antihero, or from their point of view.

Again, if you would like to get access to Write Club (private forum), please contact pickarooney.

Due today, everyone!

We already have one piece posted, feel free to pop along and give feedback even if you haven't written anything this time.

I can now grant access, so give me a shout.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Does the late penalty still apply? :D

If anyone else wants to contribute either stories or feedback, they'd be welcome.

It doesn't have to fit the brief, just something relatively short you'd like feedback on.

If anyone else wants to contribute either stories or feedback, they'd be welcome.

It doesn't have to fit the brief, just something relatively short you'd like feedback on.

Agreed. This is a really great opportunity to give and get feedback. I've found it to be a big help in motivating myself to put pen to paper as it were. If anyone is in doubt why not give write club a go for a week or so and see how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I'm interested in joining. I'm a creative writing student and I could do with a kick to get me to write more than just my assignments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

I'd like to get in on this. Doing a psychology PhD so my writing is suffering, would love some accountability!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Just curious, but would an autobiography be accepted ?

Kalman wrote: »

Once it's in small chunks. Although Das Kitty gives us optional prompts to follow.

Speaking of which....anyone up for round 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Once it's in small chunks. Although Das Kitty gives us optional prompts to follow.

Speaking of which....anyone up for round 3?

Yes, any prompts?

We only had two pieces last time, and a very small amount of feedback.

But I'm willing to keep providing prompts if people are willing to partake.

I'm still aiming to chuck something in.

I think it is worth one more throw of the dice. There may not be a lot of feedback but I've found it to be high quality, constructive and very valuable for my own writing.
    I know it is difficult to expose yourself by putting writing out there for anybody to pick holes in it but nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Great! Well I'll throw something up this evening. :)

I've just added the following prompt to Write Club.
    Prompt: Eclipse
    Due Date: Monday April 6th

As usual, you can take your inspiration from the prompt or share something else. :)

If you need Write Club access, PM me.

• Advertisement

Cawcheen wrote: »
    I'm interested in joining. I'm a creative writing student and I could do with a kick to get me to write more than just my assignments :)
    I'd like to get in on this. Doing a psychology PhD so my writing is suffering, would love some accountability!
    Kalman wrote: »

I'll give you each access.

Kalman, no problem with autobiography at all. It would have to be in small chunks though to fit in with what we're doing with the prompts etc.

Sometimes writers need a good kick up the ****.
    I think it is time to name and shame.
    The following people have all said they were interested but have yet to contribute
    loubian, Ivytwine, An File, Halloween Jack, CMurr08, Achilles, Femur 61.

This could be the last chance to make this work. Don't tell me that in the space of a fortnight you can't find half an hour to write a short piece of prose or a few lines of poetry.
    If you can't get anything from the prompt write something else or submit a piece you wrote ages ago and can't decide if it is any good and worth working some more on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Apart from possibly four pieces, I haven't been happy with anything I've written in the last two years. I've no motivation, no inspiration, and no sign of that improving any time soon.

I feel bad enough about that already without any additional "shame". Thanks.

echo beach wrote: »
    Sometimes writers need a good kick up the ****.
    I think it is time to name and shame.
    The following people have all said they were interested but have yet to contribute
    loubian, Ivytwine, An File, Halloween Jack, CMurr08, Achilles, Femur 61.

This could be the last chance to make this work. Don't tell me that in the space of a fortnight you can't find half an hour to write a short piece of prose or a few lines of poetry.
    If you can't get anything from the prompt write something else or submit a piece you wrote ages ago and can't decide if it is any good and worth working some more on.
    Hold my hands up, I have been really busy over the last couple of weeks, but I have been procrastinating. I will do this prompt!

Damnit DK now I have Total Eclipse of the Heart going through my head.

Considering you just got it out of your head after Friday. :)

Yeah, I can't say I agree with pushing people to contribute, even though I totally understand the spirit in which it was done. Writing is a very personal journey and some people like getting a kick, and others don't. Add to that the internet element and us not all sitting in a room together it can hard to tell which is which.

@An File, I've read some of your poems, and I can tell you that you may be feeling they're not up to scratch, but from an outsider's point of view that's certainly not the case.

An File wrote: »
    Apart from possibly four pieces, I haven't been happy with anything I've written in the last two years. I've no motivation, no inspiration, and no sign of that improving any time soon.

I feel bad enough about that already without any additional "shame". Thanks.

Four pieces you are happy with in two years sounds like a pretty good hit rate to me. I'm sure there are ones you aren't happy with but other people may enjoy.
    There is no 'shame' in saying you have written something you think could be better. Somebody else may see a flaw you hadn't noticed or may be able to say that they don't see any flaws.
    It sounds as if you are being too hard on yourself. Nobody else will be any more critical of you than you are being of yourself.

Considering you just got it out of your head after Friday. :)

Strangely I never thought of the song on Friday despite all the talk and catching an elusive glimpse through the clouds but as soon as I saw the prompt it was the first thing that came into my head.
    Yeah, I can't say I agree with pushing people to contribute, even though I totally understand the spirit in which it was done. Writing is a very personal journey and some people like getting a kick, and others don't. Add to that the internet element and us not all sitting in a room together it can hard to tell which is which.

You can't force anybody to take part but they aren't random names. All of those people did say they were in favour of the idea and maybe need a little more 'prompting', although perhaps it should have been more subtle.
    It takes courage to let complete strangers read your work and give them carte blanche to say what they like. Pluck up a little. Let your hopes and dreams 'eclipse' your fears.

echo beach wrote: »
    Strangely I never thought of the song on Friday despite all the talk and catching an elusive glimpse through the clouds but as soon as I saw the prompt it was the first thing that came into my head.

You can't force anybody to take part but they aren't random names. All of those people did say they were in favour of the idea and maybe need a little more 'prompting', although perhaps it should have been more subtle.
    It takes courage to let complete strangers read your work and give them carte blanche to say what they like. Pluck up a little. Let your hopes and dreams 'eclipse' your fears.

It doesn't bother me fwiw Echo Beach. I'm one of those writers who need a good hard kick up the arse every now and then!

• Advertisement

Prompt done but not near a desktop til tonight... So will try and get it up before midnight, I'd be here for weeks transcribing it on my phone :(

Advertisement