Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write Club - Write Harder

Options
  • 01-01-2015 11:26pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Soooooo had a look in write club and it's quiet, almost too quiet...Anyone interested in giving it another go? I think one of the failings was the lack of deadlines. Maybe if a few people got involved and we aimed each to have something submitted every week/fortnight no matter how small. Any takers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm new to this part of boards. I want to start wwriting and this might be the kick I need. Where do I sign up!?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't even have access to Write Club. :pac:

I'm pretty busy with deadlines for classes at the moment, so I can't partake. But in a few months things should ease up I reckon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Access granted. Don't disturb the thrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ewwwwwww......

Oh, you mean the bird?

Access granted. Don't disturb the thrush.

Bastards are always sitting on windowsills perving in at me. They've disturbed me on more than one occasion. I think it might be payback time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

So just me and potentially loubian for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I can't remember if I have access or not...

It's not on My Forums anyway so I'm going to assume I don't...

Second half of last year was an absolute disaster writing wise so would like to do more this year. Would love to get involved if ye'll have me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I'll join in. If somebody else sets a deadline I can usually make it but if I set one for myself there is always something to get in the way.

echo beach wrote: »
    I'll join in. If somebody else sets a deadline I can usually make it but if I set one for myself there is always something to get in the way.

So wgat would people think about a one week or two week deadline to submit? Doesnt matter hiw small or just a rewrite. My motivation for this is to force myself to get something down regularly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I should be able to produce something resembling a poem every fortnight. Count me in.

• Advertisement

Fortnight sounds manageable to me!

I can give prompts if ye like? I just can't commit to producing something for now. Things should ease up in a few months I reckon though.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I can give prompts if ye like? I just can't commit to producing something for now. Things should ease up in a few months I reckon though.

Yeah that'd be great. I dont mind reminding people but if you can that'd be handy. Also feel free to provide feedback on pieces. The more reviewers the better.

Shall we set Saturday 17th as the first deadline.

I would suggest we start a new thread for each new submission i.e. when posting new work. Edits can stay in the original thread along with feedback/comments.

Thread title format: Write Harder - Author - Piece Title e.g....

Write Harder - Fuzzytrooper - The Slaying of Pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm game too. New year and all so I'd like to get back on the writing wagon.

Pm me for access. I'm not able to use the full site much these days so please be patient.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pm me for access. I'm not able to use the full site much these days so please be patient.

Get yourself a co-mod. ;)

Tried a few times, but it fell on deaf ears.

Okay, so I've posted prompt #1 in Write Club.
    Due Date: 19th January 2015 (Monday)

Prompt #1: Write a poem, or a short piece of prose (fiction / non-fiction) based upon a historical event. This can be anything from personal history to global history.

PM pikarooney for access to Write Club if you don't already have it.

Reminder: Deadline 1 is tomorrow.

A couple of pieces rolling into the Write Club already. Looking forward to reading them in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cmurr08

Hey guys,
    I wouldn't mind getting involved in this. Could I get access please?
    Cheers,
    C

• Advertisement

Give pickarooney a PM and he'll grant you access.

I'd better think up a new prompt...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cmurr08

Tried a few times, but it fell on deaf ears.

Hey Pickarooney,
    Any chance you could grant me access?
    Cheers,
    Cian

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Give pickarooney a PM and he'll grant you access.

I'd better think up a new prompt...

Might make sense to give a few days between posting and prompting to give everyone a chance to review each others pieces.

Might make sense to give a few days between posting and prompting to give everyone a chance to review each others pieces.

Agreed!

Ach I've been so busy I haven't had time to check this. Pickarooney expect a PM winging your way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

A few people expressed interest but only two of us posted something. I know how hard it is to get around to writing something but it would be good if there were another two or three involved.
    There have been quite a few views of the pieces that were posted but very little response. I would be afraid that there isn't the drive to make Write Club work which would be a pity because it has a lot of potential.

A few people expressed interest but only two of us posted something. I know how hard it is to get around to writing something but it would be good if there were another two or three involved.
    There have been quite a few views of the pieces that were posted but very little response. I would be afraid that there isn't the drive to make Write Club work which would be a pity because it has a lot of potential.

Agreed. Its damn hard to find the time but the more of us there are interacting, the easier it will be to keep motivated.

Agreed. Its damn hard to find the time but the more of us there are interacting, the easier it will be to keep motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

I have access to write club so I'm interested,I've been woefully negligent of everything writing related since New Years!
    Is there a punishment for not meeting deadline?it might help me!

• Advertisement

Achillles wrote: »
    I have access to write club so I'm interested,I've been woefully negligent of everything writing related since New Years!
    Is there a punishment for not meeting deadline?it might help me!

Yes you must include the following words in your next piece...

-tax rebate
    -foible
    - high fibre diet
    - flux capacitor
    - hair transplant
    - stupify

Advertisement