Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is 'peasant mentality'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Akin to the gentry mentality of the average Indo reading golden circle party supporter I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Person incessantly afraid that their mud cabin will be burnt down and their subsistence crop destroyed.

Eg fearful, deferential and with very narrow horizons owing to poverty.

#literalanswer

(I love hashtags)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Oink wrote: »
    So generally, people who have the august demeanour of the animals they are most likely descended from.
    So peasants believe in facts and the rest are creationists? Is that it? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I see it as those that live from hand to mouth and dont have aspirations of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

The bread and butter politics that is the entirety of Irish politics - more funding for Opera please!

Oh, economists - dismally disseminating their dismal science - damn peasants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Epitome of the peasant mentality right there - someone who wants to be respected for their perceived superiority, but laments the fact that nobody else recognises their apparent genius intellect.

Who was it that called Paddy Kavanagh bitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Who was it that called Paddy Kavanagh bitter?

Ah that wasn't referring to you Molester, I was only including your post for context. It was luftie's reply I was referring to as the peasant mentality by referring to AH regulars as "holier than thous", while starting threads in AH looking for opinions.

It's the equivalent of Patrick Kavanagh who was bitter about the fact that he felt his superior intellect was never recognised by his peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

anncoates wrote: »
    It's often what you call people- that are 'trapped ' in the 'hellhole' of Ireland - that have the temerity to look bored about your 7 hour emigrant tales in the pub over Christmas.

Jesus that doesn't make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Ah that wasn't referring to you Molester, I was only including your post for context. It was luftie's reply I was referring to as the peasant mentality by referring to AH regulars as "holier than thous", while starting threads in AH looking for opinions.

It's the equivalent of Patrick Kavanagh who was bitter about the fact that he felt his superior intellect was never recognised by his peers.

It was a bloody joke, but there certainly are holier than thous on this that will shout you down for having an opinion different to 'the norm'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

lufties wrote: »
    It was a bloody joke, but there certainly are holier than thous on this that will shout you down for having an opinion different to 'the norm'.

You'll be ok so! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Moffett wrote: »
    Factory floor banter, ' I could never be a manager, I like to go home and switch off....' as if your manager doesn't, only difference is they're on 80k a year! Always the hardest working folk that say it too?
    I think you are misunderstanding their position, they are not saying that they think their managers do not switch off, they are saying that if they were in that position, they could not switch off as the lazy co-workers on the floor would annoy them so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

katemarch wrote: »
    Person incessantly afraid that their mud cabin will be burnt down and their subsistence crop destroyed.

Eg fearful, deferential and with very narrow horizons owing to poverty.

#literalanswer

(I love hashtags)

Sinn Feiners essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

looksee wrote: »
    I'd say a peasant mentality is not so much someone who is put down as someone who does not want to lift himself up. Its easier to sit in the mud and whinge about the unfairness of life.

More that it's someone who is slightly above the bottom and hates those at the bottom, because he fears becoming one of them. (Bear in mind that in former times there were lots of people worse off than peasants - landless labourers, vagrants, migrant workers etc.)

Advertisement