Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is 'peasant mentality'?

Options
  • 01-01-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I've been seeing this phrase crop up here and there but am not sure what it means. To hazard a guess I would say the mentality of 'don't get above your station' and generally a narrow minded ignorant view of the world, without the power to be able to think critically.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

lufties wrote: »
    I've been seeing this phrase crop up here and there but am not sure what it means. To hazard a guess I would say the mentality of 'don't get above your station' and generally a narrow minded ignorant view of the world, without the power to be able to think critically.

i.e.
    AH regulars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I wrote peasant mentality not deluded holier than thous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A northern Italian from Milan or Turin could call somebody from the southern regions, Sicily etc a peasant or even a slur like guinea! The brown eyes, dark hair and swarthy (tanned complexion)

Every nation has it's own version of peasants, in Ireland you have travellers and nordies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

You own a console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It seems someone didn't get a kiss from the pretty little from Omagh last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You don't recognise the PC as the superior gaming platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

That and a bit of obsequeisness around anyone with a whiff of power. Tugging the forelock etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

qt3.14 wrote: »
    Tugging the forelock etc

Thinly disguised fapping thread. First of 2015. Well done AH.

I do actually know what a forelock is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

WHAT A PEASANT KIND OF QUESTION TO ASK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I duno I'd have to see it in context to see what they meant

some kind of put down anyway I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Phrases like that are meant to keep people in their place.

Those to be kept in their place are less likely to rise up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

A good read of the "What's so great about Australia ?" thread should answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Someone who continually tries to castigate people from a certain area would have a "peasant mentality" in my opinion. People from that area seem to be always on his mind and he obviously feels threatened or inferior to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

Factory floor banter, ' I could never be a manager, I like to go home and switch off....' as if your manager doesn't, only difference is they're on 80k a year! Always the hardest working folk that say it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say a peasant mentality is not so much someone who is put down as someone who does not want to lift himself up. Its easier to sit in the mud and whinge about the unfairness of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, if you have to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

none of your business, that's what it is ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

anti-intellectual......fearful of change......parochial......

......owns a huge TV (with Sky sports and Sky movies in HD) and a PS4 with XBox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The mentality shared by anyone who's not a moderator or admin on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

no pheasant jokes? I am dissapoint AH.

sort of salt of the earth 'tis far from the like of that ye were reared'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

For me the word "peasant" refers to a state of mind. For example someone who:
    -showers every 3 days
    -doesn't wash his hands in the jacks "because he's clean down there"
    - doesnt consider leaving his seat on the bus to old people

So generally, people who have the august demeanour of the animals they are most likely descended from, and have intimate knowledge of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

i.e.
    AH regulars?

I wrote peasant mentality not deluded holier than thous :D

Epitome of the peasant mentality right there - someone who wants to be respected for their perceived superiority, but laments the fact that nobody else recognises their apparent genius intellect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Puh, and there's me thinking it's someone who enjoys a good organic Camembert with Three-seed bread and a bottle of earthy Rioja...while siting at their reclaimed French farmers table, reading Country Living..in Hampstead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

sheesh wrote: »

I'd love some pheasant. Where's me shotgun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Coronation Street recently. A few of them hadn't been paid. One of them was going to be evicted the next day as he didn't have rent. But yet, is in the Rovers every night of the week. I know it's not real, but there are people like that. Living from hand to mouth, with no clue how to budget. The kids go hungry, but they have the newest Nike Airmax, and they more than likely have a football jersey on too, and have a TV like a cinema screen screen in a two bedroomed house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd love some pheasant. Where's me shotgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

Peasant quality/mentality - once used often in Irish literary circles especially during the revival led by Yeats and Gregory - my four green fields, the playboy, sean bhean bhocht and all that.

It's a romantic notion of illiterate savage turns poet - think Patrick Kavanagh or Rousseau.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

AdFundum wrote: »
    Peasant quality/mentality - once used often in Irish literary circles especially during the revival led by Yeats and Gregory - my four green fields, the playboy, sean bhean bhocht and all that.

It's a romantic notion of illiterate savage turns poet - think Patrick Kavanagh or Rousseau.

"Stony grey soil" immediately springs to mind as a very apt example of the peasant mentality -

Stony Grey Soil - Patrick Kavanagh

O stony grey soil of Monaghan
    The laugh from my love you thieved;
    You took the the gay child of my passion
    And gave me your clod-conceived.

You clogged the feet of my boyhood
    And I believed that my stumble
    Had the poise and stride of Apollo
    And his voice my thick-tongued mumble.

You told me the plough was immortal!
    O green-life-conquering plough!
    Your mandril strained, your coulter blunted
    In the smooth lea-field of my brow.

You sang on steaming dunghills
    A song of coward's brood,
    You perfumed my clothes with weasel itch,
    You fed me on swinish food.

You flung a ditch on my vision
    Of beauty, love and truth.
    O stony grey soil of Monaghan
    You burgled my bank of youth!

Lost the long hours of pleasure
    All the women that love young men.
    O can I still stroke the monster's back
    Or write with unpoisened pen

His name in these lonely verses
    Or mention the dark fields where
    The first gay flight of my lyric
    Got caught in a peasant's prayer.

Mullahinsha, Drummeril, Black Shanco -
    Wherever I turn I see
    In the stony grey soil of Monaghan
    Dead loves that were born for me.

Christ he was one bitter bastard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's often what you call people- that are 'trapped ' in the 'hellhole' of Ireland - that have the temerity to look bored about your 7 hour emigrant tales in the pub over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

sheesh wrote: »

Can't say pheasant jokes are that popular?

Advertisement