Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna (Fine) Gail/Fall Are Exactly The Same

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Dunno

Just wanted to post on this before its moved for old times sake.

2014 you were a bit sh1t at times :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

There are only 2 political parties who contest the presidential election in the USA, which is the biggest democracy in the world. However, they call crisps "chips", so their system doesn't work either

Is India not the world's largest democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

dasdog wrote: »
    Reason for the post is a friends rent in a SCD apt block sold off from NAMA to Canadian investors has gone up by 60%. She's a mad German getting on in age, works really hard and I joked yesterday with her about who would make the better caravan dweller.

My rant is based on the tactics being continued in the most unrepublic of republics and the civil service rooted in a 19th century British military structure of officers/corporals, whoring a countries position to facilitate tax avoidance and property speculation.

I'm the most devout of capitalists (no free healthcare type) but I will be looking to the extreme left when voting next comes around.

Sorry about the rant, fvking got to me today.

If her rent is that far above the market value now then she will be able to move elsewhere an maintain her current outgoings.

I know the Canadian firm you are talking about, they are not idiots by any stretch of the imagination. She must have been getting a real deal on her rent when NAMA owned the place if it has suddenly gone up by 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Not really. I have no time for either party, but fianna fail are one of the worst things to have happened to Ireland.

If they had any decency they would have disbanded after the last general election. Just the lowest of the low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

dasdog wrote: »
    Reason for the post is a friends rent in a SCD apt block sold off from NAMA to Canadian investors has gone up by 60%. She's a mad German getting on in age, works really hard and I joked yesterday with her about who would make the better caravan dweller.

My rant is based on the tactics being continued in the most unrepublic of republics and the civil service rooted in a 19th century British military structure of officers/corporals, whoring a countries position to facilitate tax avoidance and property speculation.

I'm the most devout of capitalists (no free healthcare type) but I will be looking to the extreme left when voting next comes around.

Sorry about the rant, fvking got to me today.

There's no difference between FF and FG.
    Same cronyism and corruption.
    Same inability to run a country in a proper manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

There's no difference between FF and FG.
    Same cronyism and corruption.
    Same inability to run a country in a proper manner.

Well at least FG never ran the country into the ground . They may not be the greatest the they are way better than FF.

marienbad wrote: »
    Well at least FG never ran the country into the ground . They may not be the greatest the they are way better than FF.

FG just stood on the sidelines 'cribbing and moaning' that FF weren't making the so called good times boomier than they were.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

FG just stood on the sidelines 'cribbing and moaning' that FF weren't making the so called good times boomier than they were.........

Don't fret...

Just 16 short months & no more FF/FG/LAB.

Don't fret...

Just 16 short months & no more FF/FG/LAB.

With any luck!
    I doubt it though, it's rinse and repeat for the thick paddy's.
    We get what we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You are right-FG bankrupted nation twice. It was FG who supervised the banks pre 2008. Oh hang on a second they did none of these things. Dont get me wrong -I wont be voting for any party in this Government but to say they are the same as FF is pure drivel.

They were in opposition.
    They were supposed to point out the Government's faults not complain that they weren't giving away enough in the budgets.
    They were supposed to be watching like a good guard dog.
    They failed on all counts just like FF did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

With any luck!
    I doubt it though, it's rinse and repeat for the thick paddy's.
    We get what we deserve.

Thick paddy's what?

Ironic post.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Thick paddy's what?

Ironic post.

A typo is the best you can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A typo is the best you can do?

It's gratuitous apostrophe abuse.

So we're left with political parties than very few trust.

FF - out for many.
    FG/Lab -- out for many.
    SF -- out for many.
    Ind -- too scattered and a few very dodgy ones too.

Not much choice there.
    Much as it pains me I can see FG getting back in.

I'm pointing out the connection between restrictive planning rules and the number of houses being provided.

Only a couple of months a go in Dublin city center a new apartment block was shot down because it was "over scaled" - when in fact to any reasonable person it clearly wasn't.

They do this on the pretense of protecting our derelict Georgian city - what it actually does is stop much needed housing being built. Hence more queues and more price rises.

Would you prefer developers were given carte blanche to do what they like, just as long as more houses were built?

Weak as planning and development control is, can you imagine what the place would be like without it? It's needs reform clearly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It's true that FG and FF are as self serving and corrupt as each other but maybe we needed FG in government again to prove it. The nest building done by FG and Labour in recent years has been astounding. But that's how it works in our political system.

I have always voted FG in the past but I will not vote for them again.

So we're left with political parties than very few trust.

FF - out for many.
    FG/Lab -- out for many.
    SF -- out for many.
    Ind -- too scattered and a few very dodgy ones too.

Not much choice there.
    Much as it pains me I can see FG getting back in.

I think so too.
    FF too toxic hopefully
    SF although I voted for them in the local community elections, I wouldn't trust them to run a cafe
    LAB will go the way of the Dl, PDs,
    Ind bunch of parish pump politicians, wouldn't last a fortnight

Much as I despise their arrogance, hypocrisy, cronyism, are they the best of a very poor lot. Wouldn't mind if the greens cobbled together something to consider.

They were in opposition.
    They were supposed to point out the Government's faults not complain that they weren't giving away enough in the budgets.

Exactly right. People forget this.

I remember one of FF's giveaway budgets during the boom - it really was generous (the year every child got 1000 extra on top of the child benefit). I wondered how the opposition would respond. Then Bruton stood up and said they hadn't gone far enough. Nuts.

I think so too.
    FF too toxic hopefully
    SF although I voted for them in the local community elections, I wouldn't trust them to run a cafe
    LAB will go the way of the Dl, PDs,
    Ind bunch of parish pump politicians, wouldn't last a fortnight

Much as I despise their arrogance, hypocrisy, cronyism, are they the best of a very poor lot. Wouldn't mind if the greens cobbled together something to consider.

They are all parish pump and to be fair, the Independents have done more good than any other group of TDs in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

They were in opposition.

A bit simplistic and ignorant (of events)
    FG opposed Benchmarking
    FG opposed the return of property investment tax incentives-if you recall FF abolished them around the late 1990s-rents went up as investors left the market
    Its True FG called for more expenditure in various areas but given that the Irish Electorate in its wisdom decided to return Bertie in 2002 and give FG 33 seats -can you imagine how popular they would be if they advocated less?

FG advocated more regulation of the Banks-it was ignored
    Look FG at heart are tight bastards. They have a few bean counters and are miserable feckers but thats exactly what we need.
    Everyone wants better services-nobody wants to pay for them. Mark my words SF or various Inpendents wont get any deal on bank debt.

But the essential conundrum remains for Irish People-do we stop thinking of housing as assets or as a basic necessity- do we regulate the market properly. The Central bank has the right idea-slap 20% deposits-cool the market-then housing becomes more affordable long term. Pass aws regulating Rents -up and downwards. ie I didnt hear calls for rent controls when market collapsed 6 years ago so set minimum and maximum levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

That's generally what opposition parties do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

They were in opposition.

Then you haven't a clue how the parliamentary system actually works in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

This is the rubbish we do hear from the left. It's just not true.

People want to believe it in their own heads to confirm their own prejudices against anyone with more money than them.

Except many have less money than the merest beggar - their net worth is negative millions.
    The ire for property developers is the best example. On the one hand people want them punished (for what no one knows) and on the other there are not enough houses because we need developers to build them.
    Why? There is absolutely no reason why the state can't build sufficient housing. Our developers generally built low-quality overpriced boxes far from services or industries.
    On the tax side we can be as moral as we like but a) we are effectively under attack from other countries who want to take our lunch and b) the 100,000's of jobs that rely on multinationals is probably a price worth paying for avoiding total destitution as a country.
    It's odd that people will in one breath say it's ridiculous to claim that corporations rule the world, and yet in the next will make a statement like the above that shows that, yes, they do, and that elected governments have no choice but to pander to them because they are so powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

goose2005 wrote: »
    Our developers generally built low-quality overpriced boxes far from services or industries.

Correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Correct!

And how people lapped them up.

Camping outside estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

We laud it by ourselves, the not very good education system which is heavily religion and mythology based. Cheaper than shop. Fvkers put Saint Patrick in and wrote pagan gods out of history.

Holding the record of the most least resistant biggest bailout country in the developed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

FF are centre left while FG are centre right, the thing Ireland always needed was a proper Conservative party.

Democrats in the USA would be considered to the right of the British Conservative Party in Britain.

Can you imagine how the the GOP would go down in this place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

They're nearly all the same; I'm surprised some have noticed at this stage.

The ones that aren't FG/FF/LB will eventually become those if they gain power and we'll all continue with this normality that understands the government is doing little to resolve the countries problems.

It'd still vote them though, (not FG, FF etc.) because they can't do any worse.

As a country, we'll probably bend over once more...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're nearly all the same; I'm surprised some have noticed at this stage.

The ones that aren't FG/FF/LB will eventually become those if they gain power and we'll all continue with this normality that understands the government is doing little to resolve the countries problems.

It'd still vote them though, (not FG, FF etc.) because they can't do any worse.

As a country, we'll probably bend over once more...

What this country needs Steve is a serious conservative political movement to form into a party and hound the lefty whack jobs.

What will become of this state if FF and FG were go to go into each other at the next election and fail? It could be wild scale chaos.

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    Then you haven't a clue how the parliamentary system actually works in Ireland .

You could be right.
    See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil?

Advertisement