Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-paying council tenants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Owryan wrote: »
    Not when maximum rent is capped and allowances for partner/kids are taken into consideration. The example i gave they pay €102 pw in rent.

That doesn't sound right at all

It's nearly €15 pw per child rent isn't capped it's differential the more you earn then the more you pay .

Highly doubt some earning 1k is on the same rent and somebody who is unemployed unless they're not declaring there full earnings .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Owryan wrote: »
    Not when maximum rent is capped and allowances for partner/kids are taken into consideration. The example i gave they pay €102 pw in rent.

There is no longer a maximum cap(used to be £100/€126) in many council areas or the cap is set according to a sliding scale depending on income and most allowances are removed once a certain income limit is reached, it was done differently for years but the system has been changed for the better in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Aware of case where the landlord has received no rent since last Aug/ Sept.

Tenant completed another Rent Allowance review form which was returned to HSE.

HSE are trying to meet with tenant as this is not the first time she has failed to complete paperwork, which she says she never received.!!!! She does not work, gets Welfare for herself and baby & 2 medical cards. Tennant smokes 20 cigs per day and has free child care

Meanwhile landlord cannot get his payments from anyone!

If he chucked the tenant out he would face the wrath of PRTB and and anyone else who feels it is their right to have a cut at him.

Who would want the job of a landlord????

Indeed where is the incentive for those struggling to work , pay their mortgage, and pay for childcare????? It appears to be a better career choice to be on benefits and free housing !!

The nitwits are taking over the country !!! :confused:

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks some of the sentiment being expressed here is very close to being a breach of charter. Can you please think before you post.
    I'd also appreciate if derogatory terms were not used to describe tenants or landlords - this is the only warning that shall be given.

Thanks

Morri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i live in an estate with all the various types of social housing in it, so i am very familiar with the various schemes, there are lots of new ones currently being trialled which so far work better than the previous versions.

when it comes to non paying council tenants theen realistically there is not much they could do immediately,

in time however they do have options, of

a: waiting, in a minimum of 17 years the youngest child will hit 18 years of age, have the eviction timed to hit if any children are born after the notice a judge will know they were aware of the eviction timescale and it's on the tenants not the authority evicting the child, otherwise as soon as there are no minor's there that the parents are moved out and evicted, at least then it won't be a free house for life,

b: move them into other accommodation, every housing authority has a stock of housing in area's people just refuse to live in, i have always said we should adopt the method in scotland whereby they post a list of available stock, people apply for the ones they want and they are then assigned on a priority first method going down the list of interested applicants, aka greatest need of housing or the person with mobility issues gets the bungalow, or the family get the house with a garden, while the single people get the apartments....etc as opposed to the current method, with the families in apartments, or people with mobility issues getting houses that are up steps and need to be adapted.

BUT if you prove to be an anti social tenant OR decline to pay your rent (and have arrears of at least 1 year+) the chosen property will be taken from you and you will be assigned a unit nobody else wanted possibly in an area you didn't want, it would at least encourage people not to get into a situation where arrears are ignored while also filling vacant stock that people just don't want. if they still refuse to pay while in this stock housing at least they aren't taking up a house that a paying tenant would like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If you earn above the normal social welfare rate you must pay 20% of your earnings over and above the rate in rent. So someone on €1000/week will pay at least €230/week in rent!

Different local authorities have a different percentage. One dublin local authority that I know of only charges 10%. Not sure of the other three, new rules are being introduced this year in order to bring all local authorities into a similar percentage range, this means a lot of tenants are going to see their rent go up especially in dublin. There will be absolute uproar when this happens!

Rent is charged on the total income of the household so young adult childrens wages are taken into account in the rent calculations. This is not always fair on the primary tenant as they are then responsible for collecting this money from their children in order to keep up with the rent. This is often how tenants get into trouble with arrears.

If you are in arrears you don't get any upgrades done on your house even if your estate has been selected for refurbishment. This is used to entice tenants to regularise their arrears. Things like heating upgrades, insulation etc are not offered to those in arrears and proper order in my opinion.

Advertisement