Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish obsession with turf?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Time consuming me arse!

Where else would you want to be on a warm summer's evening? Lying in watching Eastenders and scratching your hole? In some beer garden with wasps and kids and drunken bores everywhere?

Turf give you fresh air, exercise and a oneness with nature that you won't get anywhere else, and you get to heat your house for next to nothing as a bonus.

I don't believe in God, but if I did, I'd get down on my knees and thank the bejaysus out of him for creating turf!

On a train bound for nowhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I don't believe in God, but if I did, I'd get down on my knees and thank the bejaysus out of him for creating turf!

Turf you are and unto turf you shall return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    sorry I did my sums wrong, 50 yards?

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Can't bate a nice turf sandwich after a day in the bog!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

heldel00 wrote: »
    ???

50 yards at 5e per yard for the man that cuts it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It is okay to get the fire going but coal is far superior to generate heat.

Good dry turf can give great heat in a stove and is dirt cheap if you save it yourself or buy in bulk. Also coal is filthy.
    The best option really is turf + dry logs. The turf sustains the fire while the wood provides high heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

I bring in turf for my aunt sometimes.

It struck me that it's just dried mud.

Yet deny men the right to cut turf and you'll have death threats and excrement in the mail.

Who would want to rule this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

jive_bunny wrote: »
    turf is more expensive if you put any kind of value on time
    Not if you have child labour available to you.

Cheap fuel AND cut down on your childcare costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Turf give you fresh air, exercise and a oneness with nature that you won't get anywhere else, and you get to heat your house for next to nothing as a bonus.

Don't forget the cleggs and the midges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

with the price of oil today , turf is more expensive if you put any kind of value on time

FYP.

Plus you can get it done weekends and in the long evenings. If the feckin midgets stay away its quite pleasant.

Wife has an uncle who goes to the bog and regularly takes all his clothes off - you gotta worry about that gene pool :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I burn briquettes in a stove, living room is nice and toasty and we've cut our oil bill by 2/3.

However, I help a neighbour bring home his turf every year. Back breaking work, but I don't mind that. It's when we go to the pub and the turf tales are told, sweet jebus they like to talk about good dry black turf, laugh at the guy who always leaves it too late to draw the turf home, how such and such is not worth a sh1te on the bog, hasn't a clue how to foot turf and on and on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

cml387 wrote: »
    I bring in turf for my aunt sometimes.

It struck me that it's just dried mud.

Yet deny men the right to cut turf and you'll have death threats and excrement in the mail.

Who would want to rule this country?

That's turf and we call it "in the post" over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

thestar wrote: »
    What's the big fascination with it?

It's traditional, if you own a bog then you can harvest your own fuel.

With laws now attempting to ban people cutting it it just becomes more important.

I prefer timber but like the idea of turf, and people cutting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

It's traditional, if you own a bog then you can harvest your own fuel.

With laws now attempting to ban people cutting it it just becomes more important.

I prefer timber but like the idea of turf, and people cutting it!

I like the yoke they use for cutting turf. Looks like a massive chainsaw that goes onto the back of a tractor. Looks way more daycent than an actual chainsaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

thestar wrote: »
    In comparison to coal there is a lot less heat out of it, doesn't last near as long and when labor, storage and transportation are taken into account I don't think it is cheap at all.

What's the big fascination with it?

The fascination is that the whole bloody midlands is comprised of turf. The land is sh1te. Turf is their only livelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

boobar wrote: »
    However, I help a neighbour bring home his turf every year. Back breaking work, but I don't mind that. It's when we go to the pub and the turf tales are told, sweet jebus they like to talk about good dry black turf, laugh at the guy who always leaves it too late to draw the turf home, how such and such is not worth a sh1te on the bog, hasn't a clue how to foot turf and on and on and on.
    Footing turf is very competitive. There is a culchie convention that you at least offer to help your bog-neighbour after footing your own load. Some people think that's altruism. No. That's total showboating.

And don't bet me started on those shirkers who buy their turf in by the fertilizer-bag.

Turf snobbery does be vicious.
    ewinslet wrote: »
    The fascination is that the whole bloody midlands is comprised of turf. The land is sh1te. Turf is their only livelihood.
    the midlands has loads of great land

Want good land? Follow the Protestants. Loads of Protestants in the midlands. Q.E.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Don't forget the cleggs and the midges.

As much a part of Irish fauna as you our I.

When they start it's time to head home though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I just filled the basket of turf for today. Even looking at a big basket of nice turf makes me smile. I don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I just filled the basket of turf for today. Even looking at a big basket of nice turf makes me smile. I don't know what it is.

Probably turf.Going by the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

kneemos wrote: »
    Probably turf.Going by the evidence.

A big basket of nice turf, on closer inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Because it looks better than trying to burn a seal cub but it's just as damaging to the environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nodin wrote: »
    And you can bury people in a bog. Try doing that with a bag of coal.

Arthur Morgan telling that one at the Ard Fheis again was he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Coal mine warrior doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I'm not going to take turf that's been on the dirty ground and bring it into my house...ewww... /s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Couldn't pay me to use turf or coal. More than happy with my district heating system, and sensors outside to regulate the heating inside. Nothing better than waking in from the cold onto under-heated floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Hard to beat a good load of timber. Cut it to size and stacked neatly. Watch it dry out over the summer. Even in the warmest of days it's comforting to have a generous stack of firewood drying out to see you through the following winter.

A fine sycamore that came down in the storm last winter is keeping us going for the next few months.

Advertisement