Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Put Nutella in the traps. They love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Put chocolate on trap and set perpendicularly to the wall.
    Try and find the crack or hole where they are entering and block it up.
    If you put down poison they could die under the floorboards and will smell the place out:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

The old fashioned traps work best. Presumably what you put in it isn't that big a deal (we used cheese).
    http://www.huntercourse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mousetrap.jpg

We had mice at the beginning of November this year; within three weeks of putting these down we had 5 corpses. No sign of them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Saralee4 wrote: »
    Heard and then seen a mouse in our on suite bathroom last night. It freaks me out. We have set a trap so just waiting now to catch him.

Has anyone any other good methods for catching them?

It reminded me of a story my friend told me years ago. She is very proper and would be a bit of a clean freak. She moved in with her boyfriend who ran a chipper. So they lived in the upstairs flat.

She was telling me for weeks how she hated the flat. It was an old building and damp. Anyway she was always really upset about it and complaining about the flat.

One day she arrived into work with a worried look on her face. She started crying. She seemed very traumatised.

It turned out she had put toast in the toaster for breakfast that morning. The toast popped and also a burning mouse flew out on fire running in flames around the kitchen while she stood there screaming.

I know its not nice that the mouse went on fire but I couldn't help but laughing when she told me. It just sounded so dramatic like there was this little evil possessed devil flaming mouse running around her kitchen.

Anyone any funny mouse or mouse catching stories too?

Have you tried blasting it with pïss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Glueboard the bastards. Also catch his mates when they go to save him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Where there's mice there's no rats or so they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Armelodie wrote: »
    put down white pepper...

When they sniff it they sneeze and smash their heads off the ground. Either pass out, brian damage or die from shock.

Never heard of this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Bought one of those plug-in rodent repellent things in Woodies a few years ago,haven't had a mouse since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Was emptying a trailor of timber into the garage and was up on it moving it over to the side of the garage when 2 field mice came within feet of me, dont know who moved faster me or the mice. The heart was pumping.

We are a different generation when a generation or 2 before would be well used to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I have one of these angle traps and it always works.
    You'd wanna be sure to go a good distance away from your house before you release the mouse though, as they can find their way back.

We've one of those too. Me and my brother usually use it as a tag-team. Once the mouse is caught, we go out the back and he opens the door of the trap, launches the mouse into the air, which is then sent sailing into the field via a hurley operated by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

If you put down traps, make sure to wear gloves as that will prevent your scent from being on the trap

Use peanut butter/nutella as bait. Make sure it's a light coat so they will have to lick it firmly so it triggers.

You can also put the trap down without being sprung so they get used to it as a food source. Then set it and.... Surprise!

Using talc is a good idea to track it as you may be surprised as to where it is going.

Duff wrote: »
    We've one of those too. Me and my brother usually use it as a tag-team. Once the mouse is caught, we go out the back and he opens the door of the trap, launches the mouse into the air, which is then sent sailing into the field via a hurley operated by myself.

Give me get giggles tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have mice at the moment. Got three traps down, two baited with peanut butter and one with chocolate, so we'll see which catches more. I'm also using two types of snap trap.

I don't like live catch traps; you're either moving the problem to your neighbours or killing the mice slowly by moving them out of familiar territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I had a date with this girl years ago and when I went to pick her up she was in a state. A mouse had been spotted in her bedroom.
    So I had to be all manly and brave and catch and dispose of the mouse without killing the little fcker.
    Now I hate mice but I did it....

What thanks did I get from my date?

"I'm not in the mood any more...sorry".

Fckin mouse.
    Got mickey blocked there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I spotted a mouse under my kitchen sink a couple of weeks ago. The door had fallen off my ESB meter box, and I'm pretty sure that's how it got in. I put some poison down (the cheap stuff from Woodies) and within less than a week, the poison and the mouse were gone. No sign of any mice since. No nasty smell either.

I know poison isn't humane, but it seems to get the job done fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

RayM wrote: »
    I spotted a mouse under my kitchen sink a couple of weeks ago. The door had fallen off my ESB meter box, and I'm pretty sure that's how it got in. I put some poison down (the cheap stuff from Woodies) and within less than a week, the poison and the mouse were gone. No sign of any mice since. No nasty smell either.

I know poison isn't humane, but it seems to get the job done fairly quickly.

Ouuuu be very careful of the poison thing. Mice and rats head for water after consuming poison....

Cue Anecdote: So there we were in the rented gaffe wondering if anyone smelled anything funny about the water (mainly me!), I couldn't quite place it but knew it had a certain 'deja vous' about it. Nobody thought anything of it for a couple of weeks then I twigged what the smell was ( remembered from childhood after a similar incident!). So I grabbed a chair and rushed upstairs into the attic with torch..... 2 BIG FAT BLOATED ROTTEN PUTRID RATS in the water tank. Luckily I had been showering in the gym but the other folk had been washing themselves away goodo in rotten rat stew.. and then we realised that we had put down rat poison a month previous which seemed to work no probs....

Lesson Number 1: Black hard plastic rat traps from B&Q are a good investment
    Lesson Number 2: Get a goddam cover for your water tank in your attic.
    Lesson Number 3: Rat poison = Dead rats in walls/under floor boards/in the attic/in the water supply... the smell aint funny.
    Lesson Number 4: Close your mouth when you shower.
    Lesson Number 5: I was joking about the white pepper/sneezing/mouse bashing heads earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Armelodie wrote: »
    Lesson Number 5: I was joking about the white pepper/sneezing/mouse bashing heads earlier on.

Haha I told my husband to try it and he said not to be stupid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

We caught him in a trap with a bit of chocolate.

Set the trap again and blocked up the gap so hopefully that's it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I saw a mouse -- where? There on the stair
    Where on the stair? Right there
    A little mouse with clogs on -- well, I declare
    Going clip-clippety-clop on the stair - oh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Use more than one trap, and don't place them just in the one room.

If you can, use the sonic things and put them in every room.

If you catch the mouse, keep the traps down because if it's a female it might have spawned and you could have an infestation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

UB40 - Rat In Me Kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You'd wanna be sure to go a good distance away from your house before you release the mouse though, as they can find their way back.

"Live capture" I'm out. Good ol neckbreakers ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

peppermint oil on cotton wool, mice seem to hate it.

Saralee4 wrote: »
    We caught him in a trap with a bit of chocolate.

Set the trap again and blocked up the gap so hopefully that's it.

I've had no more since my three amigos caught on Christmas Eve.

That snap I heard the other night must have been a plastic bottle expanding in the recycling bin, I'll be keeping the traps set for another few weeks though before I rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd recommend an electronic trap like one of these
    http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/m2524s

I found it easier, cleaner and more reliable than normal trap.

Sometimes they bleed with the normal trap and never like resetting them and often found that they can manage to get away with the bait sometimes if it's not set sensitive enough.

The electronic one was foolproof and clean and very good at killing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Diane loves mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Its a bit funny:p

Get a Jack Russell or a cat.

I have a jack russell.i came home one day to find, after seeing a mouse, my wife was up on the couch screaming and my jack Russell was up on the couch barking.
    Not all jack Russell s ..................etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I heard these traps are not that humane, think it was on a vegan site or animal welfare site, they were saying killing with normal traps was the way to go if you do want rid of them. I think if you go off miles away and dump it out it is all confused and can end up dying of hunger or something, they are meant to be quite disorientated.

If putting down traps have hte trigger facing the wall. They are meant to scurry along walls, and you can have 2-3 traps in a row right against each other. You get packs of traps in €2 shops or dealz, FAR cheaper than the likes of woodies.

Advertisement