Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mice

Options
  • 30-12-2014 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Heard and then seen a mouse in our on suite bathroom last night. It freaks me out. We have set a trap so just waiting now to catch him.

Has anyone any other good methods for catching them?

It reminded me of a story my friend told me years ago. She is very proper and would be a bit of a clean freak. She moved in with her boyfriend who ran a chipper. So they lived in the upstairs flat.

She was telling me for weeks how she hated the flat. It was an old building and damp. Anyway she was always really upset about it and complaining about the flat.

One day she arrived into work with a worried look on her face. She started crying. She seemed very traumatised.

It turned out she had put toast in the toaster for breakfast that morning. The toast popped and also a burning mouse flew out on fire running in flames around the kitchen while she stood there screaming.

I know its not nice that the mouse went on fire but I couldn't help but laughing when she told me. It just sounded so dramatic like there was this little evil possessed devil flaming mouse running around her kitchen.

Anyone any funny mouse or mouse catching stories too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

That's not a funny story :(
    Poor little mouse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I had a date with this girl years ago and when I went to pick her up she was in a state. A mouse had been spotted in her bedroom.
    So I had to be all manly and brave and catch and dispose of the mouse without killing the little fcker.
    Now I hate mice but I did it....

What thanks did I get from my date?

"I'm not in the mood any more...sorry".

Fckin mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I know suave but these things happen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Get rid of the traps and get a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Its a bit funny:p

Get a Jack Russell or a cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I rescue mice from my cats and set them free.

And I ground the cats so that the poor little mousey cab get away in peace.

I like mouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Get rid of the traps and get a cat.

Feck that. I'd rather have a mouse than a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

She can't have been that "proper" to go out with a fella that runs a chipper, and then move in with him above the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Mice sperm is bigger than elephant sperm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

She can't have been that "proper" to go out with a fella that runs a chipper, and then move in with him above the chipper.

Always handy for a butty though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Feck that. I'd rather have a mouse than a cat.

I would somewhat agree. My cat brought home a headless rat and left it on the door step. Nice of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

To hell with all the mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Rented a kip back in the day and went into Kitchen for brekkie. Fcukers were coming out the cornflakes box. I slaughtered them with traps in that kitchen but they kept coming. Wave after wave of mouse b*stards. Moved out. To this day I can smell out the b*stards. One sniff of a flat and I know if it's mouse free or the fcuking second battle of mouse Somme.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Cats love mice!

Not mouse but cat related.

My uncle is terrified of pigeons because one of our cats from years ago brought him a present to wake him up.

It was a still flapping pigeon! Scared the fcuk out of him! Now he really hates pigeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

We had mice a few weeks ago. She had said she had seen one so we put a few traps down. Anyway one evening we could hear one rustling about behind a cabinet. I flushed it out in the open and gave it a crack of a spirit level.
    The next one we got in one of the traps.
    And the last one was caught in a trap but only by the leg so he was still alive. I showed him the spirit level too.
    Haven't had any more since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Did you seen it OP?

pablo128 wrote: »
    We had mice a few weeks ago. She had said she had seen one so we put a few traps down. Anyway one evening we could hear one rustling about behind a cabinet. I flushed it out in the open and gave it a crack of a spirit level.
    The next one we got in one of the traps.
    And the last one was caught in a trap but only by the leg so he was still alive. I showed him the spirit level too.
    Haven't had any more since.

One sight of Joe Duffy generally sorts them out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

Get a big fat cat and he'll sort it out for you.
    122530930_6e16f1eb5c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I currently have them, started finding mouse droppings under kitchen appliances (dish washer etc) a few weeks ago, wasn't sure if they were fresh or not so cleaned them up and sprinkled some talc around the area, rechecked a couple of days later and there was new droppings and the talc was disturbed.

Anyway, Monday of last week I set 3 traps, arrived home on Christmas Eve after a few days away and checked the traps..... 3 mice in 3 traps.

Reset them on Christmas Eve and haven't had a catch since, I did hear something snap last night in the kitchen, have checked 2 of the traps but nothing, so have to check the third later (whenever there isn't an oblivious wife around)

One of the side effects of country living I suppose, plus we live in a semi detached, so they're possibly coming from there for all I know, and it's impossible to stop them coming into my house.

I have a dog who sleeps in the kitchen at nights and I've never heard her alert me to any of my invaders, guess dogs don't hear or don't give a sh1t about mice?

All you can do really is try making your place as unattractive to them as possible, seal food in containers or sealed presses. Clean up scraps, uneaten dog food etc.

Then check the exterior of the house for gaps cracks and holes, seal the up with wire wool, or broken glass / cement mixture.

Did you seen it OP?

yes I seen it. its coming through a small gap in the wall where the radiator is. its going behind the bottom of the sink and digging where there is no tile. Im afraid that means that its nesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Saralee4 wrote: »
    yes I seen it. its coming through a small gap in the wall where the radiator is. its going behind the bottom of the sink and digging where there is no tile. Im afraid that means that its nesting.

See my post above, seal the hole, and it's also highly unlikely it's alone.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

put down white pepper...

When they sniff it they sneeze and smash their heads off the ground. Either pass out, brian damage or die from shock.

See my post above, seal the hole, and it's also highly unlikely it's alone.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news op.

yea are the same as you, country and semi detached.

ugh we are going to have to set more traps so. I really don't fancy sending my husband upstairs to give them "a crack of a spirit level" pablo128 style ha-ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I get the odd fieldmouse in the turf bucket now and again, always make sure to free them again, cute wee things.

House mice can fcuk right off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One night the lights sent out ...
    Reset the override switch on the fuse board ...

Several months later - opened the fuse box to find a mouse had made contact with two terminals and had fried himself - unsurprisingly the little fellow was well fried at that stage - never did have any other problems with mice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saralee4 wrote: »
    One day she arrived into work with a worried look on her face. She started crying. She seemed very traumatised.

It turned out she had put toast in the toaster for breakfast that morning. The toast popped and also a burning mouse flew out on fire running in flames around the kitchen while she stood there screaming.
    ?

I call shenanigans. If a toaster worked like a flash of lightning and instantly toasted the bread then maybe, but we're lead to believe the mouse sat burning (and on fire for some portion of it), for about 3-4 minutes in the toaster. Then to get out somehow when he was trapped before, and still be alive?

I call shenanigans. If a toaster worked like a flash of lightning and instantly toasted the bread then maybe, but we're lead to believe the mouse sat burning (and on fire for some portion of it), for about 3-4 minutes in the toaster. Then to get out somehow when he was trapped before, and still be alive?

hey i'm only repeating what the girl told me! her tears were real! Maybe he was trapped and maybe she smelled something burning and popped the toast early I'm not sure :)

Don't ruin it! Flaming mouse arcs into the morning air and then runs in ever decreasing circles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I have one of these angle traps and it always works.
    You'd wanna be sure to go a good distance away from your house before you release the mouse though, as they can find their way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hate the little sh*ts.

Had one a few weeks ago and the OH seen it which resulted in her barricading herself and the kids in another room for a few days. Put down traps and talc but didn't see any sign of it still being around. Morning I intended to take the traps up the OH was getting breakfast for the kids when there was a snap and about 20 seconds of twitching against the washing machine, a traumatic experience for all apparently. Threw the trap, body and all over the back fence for the cats that are always around.

Advertisement