Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic violence in NZ

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Well the sad fact is, indigenous communities living in poverty and with high rates of alocholism and subsequent social problems like rape and other crime is a pattern found across the world (Mexico, the US, Canada, Australia, etc). To fix it is more than just changing culture but reducing poverty and alienation... which could take generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I was talking to a NZ guy, a friend of a friend, and mentioned "Once Were Warriors", and straight away he gets all defensive, "Oh, New Zealand is nothing like that, that movie was a crock of sh1t, that sort of thing just does not go on"
    I said Surely some part was accurate? it can't all be made up.."

He was adamant, "No, all crap, it would never happen in NZ, maybe Australia..."

I thought it was weird how defensive he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I don't know NZ: is this a warrior culture thing, rugby, macho, or what? situation.

"All Blacks" refers to their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

I've searched Al Jazeera for any reports on domestic abuse in Qatar but strangely there was nothing to be found.

Al Jazeera is heading the way of Russia Today as just peddling the slant that the regime in it's home country wants it to.

Pretty much what Fox News and CNN have been doing for years in the US so.
    peddling your own slant by not mentioning that though.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 crane_driver

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I was talking to a NZ guy, a friend of a friend, and mentioned "Once Were Warriors", and straight away he gets all defensive, "Oh, New Zealand is nothing like that, that movie was a crock of sh1t, that sort of thing just does not go on"
    I said Surely some part was accurate? it can't all be made up.."

He was adamant, "No, all crap, it would never happen in NZ, maybe Australia..."

I thought it was weird how defensive he was.

kiwis cannot bare any form of criticism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

not hugely surprised by this , i lived and worked in new zealand a good few years ago and it is a hard headed society which has zero time for anyone complaining about anything

they have a poor reputation when it comes to issues surrounding bullying in the workplace , in fact their is almost zero understanding of the issue in my experience , complain in new zealand about pretty much anything and the reply is " stop whining " or " get on with it " , this stretches all the way to officialdom

i can see why victims of abuse would be slow to come forward

Much like Ireland then - complain about similar sociopathic behavior you are told to suck it up whilst the perpetrators are left to continue the cycle of abuse. What's interesting is that nz is made up of Northern and southern Irish in roughly equal proportion. Answers a lot imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭SeanW

gozunda wrote: »
    Much like Ireland then - complain about similar sociopathic behavior you are told to suck it up whilst the perpetrators are left to continue the cycle of abuse. What's interesting is that nz is made up of Northern and southern Irish in roughly equal proportion. Answers a lot imo...
    Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

SeanW wrote: »
    Huh?
    Duh!
    The majority of New Zealand's population is of European descent (69 percent identify as "New Zealand European"), with the indigenous Māori being the largest minority (14.6 percent), followed by Asians (9.2 percent) and non-Māori Pacific Islanders (6.9 percent). This is reflected in immigration, with most new migrants coming from Britain and Ireland,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

jive_bunny wrote: »
    it is culturally frowned upon to complain in new zealand

As opposed to Ireland, where complaining is universally preferred to taking action ;)

*Points to Joe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

zerks wrote: »
    Jake The Muss has a lot to answer for.

Cook the man some eggs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

i had no real dealings with maoiri in new zealand yet i found it a real cold house when it comes to raising the alarm about any kind of unethical behaviour

new zealanders are a pretty smug people who dont like anything that shatters the illusion of how great their country and society is

i liked the country overall but ireland is a superior place on every level excluding climate IMO

Firstly, it's Maori. Secondly, did you make it out of Auckland airport during your transition to/from Australia?

Kiwis can take criticism. They criticise the crap out of their own country and are embarrassed by LOTR fawning.

Ireland=superior?!?! Check the economy, unemployment rates, education, sporting achievements, terrorist bombings.

To the kiwi who said Once Were Warriors wasn't real, dickhead. Very accurate. Is domestic violence an issue in NZ? Yes. Is it horribly prevalent in Maori and Pacific Island cultures? Yes. It will take education and generations to change this mentality and that is what's happening. There is a long way to go. Perfect? ****, no.

Is domestic violence prevalent in Irish society? Yes. Is it covered up? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

ote="Yeah_Rht;644"]Firstly, it's Maori. Secondly, did you make it out of Auckland airport during your transition to/from Australia?

Kiwis can take criticism. They criticise the crap out of their own country and are embarrassed by LOTR fawning.

Ireland=superior?!?! Check the economy, unemployment rates, education, sporting achievements, terrorist bombings.

To the kiwi who said Once Were Warriors wasn't real, dickhead. Very accurate. Is domestic violence an issue in NZ? Yes. Is it horribly prevalent in Maori and Pacific Island cultures? Yes. It will take education and generations to change this mentality and that is what's happening. There is a long way to go. Perfect? ****, no.

Is domestic violence prevalent in Irish society? Yes. Is it covered up? Yes.[/quote]

Economy: Ireland gdp 2014 217.82 billion us dollars
    New Zealand gdp 2014 182.59 billion us dollars
    So that is the economy here performing better.

Terrorist bombings:?? Don't really get your point here, there was a seperatist campaign that ran for decades where some terrible acts were carried out by both sides but don't really see how that has anything to do with the country in this day and age, there has been peace on this island for many a year now.

Education; well looking at globl education tables from a quick google Ireland and New Zealand are not too different, from the tables in 2013 New Zealand was ranked 8th with Ireland at number 11, but from last year Ireland was number 9 and New Zealand was number 15. Make of that what you will.

Sporting achievements: New Zealand won a rugby world cup, just the one for a country absolutely obsessed with the sport and with the biggest playing numbers per head of population in te world. In the last two olympics New Zealand have went home with 13 in 2012 from london and 9 in 2008 from beijing.not too shabby for a small country population wise. Ireland went home with 5 medals from London and only 3 from beijing. A lot of our medals have come from boxing the last few years where we currently have one wbo world champion in the professional arena and if looking at other sports we currently also have the number 1 ranked golfer in the world. Another sport we seem to truely excel at in the international arena is horse racing with some of the best horses trainers and jockies in the world.

Unemployment: Ireland currently sits at 10% unemployed coming out of the worst recession to ever hit this country. But it is dropping. New Zealand have at the moment around 5.5% unemployed and keeping it steady for the last few years, with a lot of employment coming in the way of construction and rebuilding work due to the tragic earthquakes which struck a few years ago.

So all in all the countries on the basis which you brought up don't seem to have a whole lot of differences. Hope that clears them up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

William F wrote: »
    They're now calling ISIS 'ISIL'. It gets confusing after a while.

They(IS/ISIS/ISIL/Whatever) changed the name themselves. they went from Islamic State of Iraq and Syria to Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

In the west people just called them IS because at least the first two letters didn't change.

flas wrote: »

Economy: Ireland gdp 2014 217.82 billion us dollars
    New Zealand gdp 2014 182.59 billion us dollars
    So that is the economy here performing better.

Terrorist bombings:?? Don't really get your point here, there was a seperatist campaign that ran for decades where some terrible acts were carried out by both sides but don't really see how that has anything to do with the country in this day and age, there has been peace on this island for many a year now.

Education; well looking at globl education tables from a quick google Ireland and New Zealand are not too different, from the tables in 2013 New Zealand was ranked 8th with Ireland at number 11, but from last year Ireland was number 9 and New Zealand was number 15. Make of that what you will.

Sporting achievements: New Zealand won a rugby world cup, just the one for a country absolutely obsessed with the sport and with the biggest playing numbers per head of population in te world. In the last two olympics New Zealand have went home with 13 in 2012 from london and 9 in 2008 from beijing.not too shabby for a small country population wise. Ireland went home with 5 medals from London and only 3 from beijing. A lot of our medals have come from boxing the last few years where we currently have one wbo world champion in the professional arena and if looking at other sports we currently also have the number 1 ranked golfer in the world. Another sport we seem to truely excel at in the international arena is horse racing with some of the best horses trainers and jockies in the world.

Unemployment: Ireland currently sits at 10% unemployed coming out of the worst recession to ever hit this country. But it is dropping. New Zealand have at the moment around 5.5% unemployed and keeping it steady for the last few years, with a lot of employment coming in the way of construction and rebuilding work due to the tragic earthquakes which struck a few years ago.

So all in all the countries on the basis which you brought up don't seem to have a whole lot of differences. Hope that clears them up for you.

For Ireland not to have a much higher GDP would be a huge failure, given its geographic location and tax breaks to big business. If the lower corporation tax rate was removed from Ireland as some other countries would like, how much would the economy suffer?

NZ has won two Rugby world cups and would regularly expect multiple gold medals from an Olympics. Not much comparison there.

An unemployment rate that is half of another is not remotely close, sorry.

I'm a kiwi, have lived here for a few years, and although I like it (and the people), I'd much rather be back home.

Neither country is perfect, and neither is a bad place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Basil3 wrote: »

True, but New Zealand is a cultural wasteland. Got any Michelin star restaurants? How about Nobel laureates? Famous Kiwi musicians?

But for the Maori culture it would be a English middle class village - imho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

MadsL wrote: »
    Isn't it strange that UK and the USA don't appear on that list? Only 50 countries are. And if you filter it by 2009, only 3 countries are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Borzoi wrote: »
    True, but New Zealand is a cultural wasteland. Got any Michelin star restaurants? How about Nobel laureates? Famous Kiwi musicians?

I do love it when the Irish bring out the "Culture" card.

When was the last time I heard anyone talking about going to a Michelin star restaurant? Never.

When was the last time I heard anyone discussing their favourite Nobel Laureate? Never

And I first moved over here in 2001, a fairly long time to never hear about this faux "Culture"

Even with "Irish Culture" Dublin is just a poor mans Birmingham.
    The rest of Ireland May as just be another English County.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Kirk Te Kanawa.
    Ernest Rutherford

2 out of 3 ain't bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

The Aussie wrote: »
    I do love it when the Irish bring out the "Culture" card.

When was the last time I heard anyone talking about going to a Michelin star restaurant? Never.

When was the last time I heard anyone discussing their favourite Nobel Laureate? Never

And I first moved over here in 2001, a fairly long time to never hear about this faux "Culture"

Even with "Irish Culture" Dublin is just a poor mans Birmingham.
    The rest of Ireland May as just be another English County.

Dear me.. I'm sure there was a thread about the late Seamus Heaney, a long one about Food which Michelin was discussed in and if you've been here since 2001 and never been to Croker on big hurling day ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Basil3 wrote: »
    For Ireland not to have a much higher GDP would be a huge failure, given its geographic location and tax breaks to big business. If the lower corporation tax rate was removed from Ireland as some other countries would like, how much would the economy suffer?

NZ has won two Rugby world cups and would regularly expect multiple gold medals from an Olympics. Not much comparison there.

An unemployment rate that is half of another is not remotely close, sorry.

I'm a kiwi, have lived here for a few years, and although I like it (and the people), I'd much rather be back home.

Your last line was my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

It's hardly a cultural wasteland. We have some fabulous restaurants in our area, Hawkes Bay, mostly affiliated with wineries. The big difference I can see is that here we can afford to eat at the best restaurants- there's nothing in the price range of Guibaulds. Imo there's no incentive to cater to Michelin starred level of cuisine because not enough kiwis simply have that kind of disposable income. Also the Michelin guide has been criticised in the past for locational bias. Produce- fruit and veg and meat- are of far better quality here.

Alan Mac Diarmad won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 2000.

As well as Kiri, Lorde is kiwi and, erm, flight of the conchords... There are plenty of good homegrown artists but it's difficult for them to break into the international scene because of the sheer remoteness of the country.

As far as other culture is concerned, IMO the national museum, Te Papa, in Wellington, is better than anything similar in Ireland, and can hold its own next to any of the amazing museums in the US. There is also a lot of great innovation going on in craft at a grassroots level, and, to a lesser extent, in art.

I also think that the kiwis deserve some kudos on how they've respected and to an extent adopted aspects of the indiginous culture to the mainstream. It's not perfect but it's by far superior to the treatment of indiginous culture in, say, Australia or America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Famous Kiwi musicians?

Lorde!

Actually if you visit New Zealand record stores you will see plenty of CD's from local artists, as Rosy Posy says very few break into international scene.

Advertisement