Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sounds like the 'Boost' button is only for heating and not water heating. Most new homes seem to have an option of turning the central heating on to water or heating.

OP, do you have neighbours, if its an estate usually everyone is in the same boat and you can be sure the neighbours have worked out the best value way of using the system by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryan_t

After speaking with the neighbors we worked out what the issue was.

It turns out we have a small electric pump in the hot-press that equalizes the hot and cold water pressure for delivery to the mixer in the shower, what had happened (and apparently this happens every 3 months or so) is that the hot water inlet filter to the pump got clogged up with gunk. Pulled the filter out and gave it a clean and she is as good as new - loads of pressure and glorious hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Good stuff.

How come it was ok at 7am though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

We ran the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity and we saved 200 pounds a year!

Edit: I see you've solved it
    "Whats you favourite humming sound... now that first one was the sound of a fridge and the second one was the sound of a man humming."

osarusan wrote: »
    Good stuff.

How come it was ok at 7am though?

So I think the blockage must have occurred very soon after we moved in, which was right before christmas. So I correlated the lack of flow with using the shower later in the day - correlation & causation and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

ryan_t wrote: »
    So I think the blockage must have occurred very soon after we moved in, which was right before christmas. So I correlated the lack of flow with using the shower later in the day - correlation & causation and all that...

Welcome to Ireland. See that dirty water that neccesitated a filter and clogged it? You need to pay for that and the electricity to run the pump, and the bin to dispose of the crap that clogged the filter, and property tax for owning the house that contains said filter and pump.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

At least he doesn't need to contend with giant spiders anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

OP, your post brings back memories. When I moved to Ireland in the mid-80's I had to learn to deal with these shower attachments. You'd fiddle with the things for about five minutes to get the temperature right only to be scalded mid-shower because someone else in the house flushed a toilet.

I once bought a brand new house, in fact it was the show house in the estate and we had been living there for a few weeks when suddenly one morning I heard a piercing scream from my daughter. Rushed to the bathroom to see what was the problem only for her to tell me that she had flushed the toilet and the water in the bowl had scalded the back of her legs. The plumbers had connected the hot water to the toilet cistern!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

somefeen wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland. See that dirty water that neccesitated a filter and clogged it? You need to pay for that and the electricity to run the pump, and the bin to dispose of the crap that clogged the filter, and property tax for owning the house that contains said filter and pump.

Unlike living on the moon where you dont pay for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

GreeBo wrote: »

You'd need to buy/lease the site off Disney though and they're after getting very expensive now altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ryan_t wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I turned the hot water heater on, tested the bath and got piping hot water out of it (like when we bath the little ones) and then tested the shower - same weak drizzle of hotish water - I can stand under it when it is on full hot, nothing like what was coming out of the bath.

Did they get scald?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Did they get scald?

No, was just like a warm summers day for them back home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

somefeen wrote: »
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Or Australia where water grows in abundance on trees and kangaroos take your rubbish away each night to be ecologically disposed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Have moved this thread from After Hours for you.

Mod

Advertisement