Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water...

Options
  • 29-12-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey,

Moved to Ireland with the family from Australia about two months ago, and we're struggling to work out the hot water systems here... Back home it was easy: you either have electric or gas hot water and they just worked - no need to turn anything on or off...

We've recently moved into a rental place, and we have a main bathroom and an en-suite - the main has an electric shower / bath with switches for the shower, and another double-switch panel with on/off and sink/bath - I think this is to heat the hot-water tank, we turn it on about 30 minutes prior to giving the little ones a bath and get piping hot water out of the tap.

The house also has a gas boiler, and radiators throughout it - this is programmed to come on three times a day for 1 hour, and has a "boost" button.

Now - the issue that we're seeing is that we can't figure out where in the house the hot water for the en-suite shower comes from - when I get up and have a 7am shower prior to work, there is plenty of hot water and pressure, though over the Christmas break we have been getting up and showering later and even at 8am, there is only about 30 seconds of decent water, then a drizzle.

I've tried running the boost 30 minutes (I've tried it for two hours as well, no difference) prior to showering, and I've tried switching on the bath switch for the hot water tank, and whilst I can get hot water in the bath I can only get luke-warm water in the shower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I want a sleep-in and a hot shower!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ryan_t wrote: »
    no need to turn anything on or off...

You didn't turn off the hot water? :eek:

That's a hanging offence in Ireland. You will be bankrupt soon OP if you try that here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryan_t

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You didn't turn off the hot water? :eek:

That's a hanging offence in Ireland. You will be bankrupt soon OP if you try that here :(

No, for electric we'd have a large tank normally about 500L either outside or inside that generally heats in the off-peak power cycles. We'd generally just switch it off if we went on holidays.

Gas was great though, it would be a small boiler in the hot water line and heat when you ran the hot water, took a little longer to get hot water but it was "unlimited".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You left the immersion on :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The gas burner probably heats the water when it's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ha, best one I've seen in a while to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Can someone post the Des Bishop bit about leaving the immersion on?

I haven't got the posting power..

kneemos wrote: »
    The gas burner probably heats the water when it's on.

That is what I first thought, but having it on when showering, and prior to showering seems to only give a small hot trickle when the mixer is on full hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are you running the mixer in the bath at the same time as the shower? That'd be why you're only getting a trickle.

kylith wrote: »
    Are you running the mixer in the bath at the same time as the shower? That'd be why you're only getting a trickle.

No, tested the bath separately - shower is the only thing running in the house.

Like this morning, I got a good hot solid flow (from the shower) but it lasted all of about 30 seconds, then back to the drizzle. If I shower around 7am then I get a good flow for the duration of the shower.

No, tested the bath separately - shower is the only thing running in the house.

Just to clarify, I turned the hot water heater on, tested the bath and got piping hot water out of it (like when we bath the little ones) and then tested the shower - same weak drizzle of hotish water - I can stand under it when it is on full hot, nothing like what was coming out of the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Can someone post the Des Bishop bit about leaving the immersion on?

Ok, this 100% sums up my experience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Op, don't be using the immersion, that'll rob you. Figure out how the central heating heats the water and time that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Get onto your landlord and ask him what the hell is going on with your water. If the shower works at 7 it should work just the same at 8, and if it's not then something's wrong with it. Really though, none of us would be able to even make a reliable guess without seeing it first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

What is the brand and model of the problematic shower?

Op, don't be using the immersion, that'll rob you. Figure out how the central heating heats the water and time that.

Right, as it didn't seem to work for the en-suite shower we've only been using it for bathing the little ones each night.

Does the central heating normally heat the water in the hot-press also?

G2ECE wrote: »
    What is the brand and model of the problematic shower?

It's not an electric shower, it is literally just a mixer knob and a shower head coming out of the wall.

Does the central heating normally heat the water in the hot-press also?

Yes, the pipes that heat the radiators usually pass through the hot water tank

Are the dishwasher or washing machine plumbed to the hot water, do you run them in the morning? Could be using your hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When you say only drizzle, is the pressure bad on both hot and cold?
    If it is, could there be a pump on the system that has a time clock on the power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Are the dishwasher or washing machine plumbed to the hot water, do you run them in the morning? Could be using your hot water

I'm not sure if they are or not, but we usually run them at night as we go to bed.

I'm at a loss as it feels like I've tried every combination of boost/immersion to try to get the same flow as I get at 7am but to no avail.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    When you say only drizzle, is the pressure bad on both hot and cold?
    If it is, could there be a pump on the system thats has a time clock on the power supply.

Possibly. I get great pressure on the cold - but I'm not really a cold-shower kind of guy. When it works well it is great, I only need a fraction of the hot water in the mixer but it can go downhill quite quickly needing me to go full hot on the mixer when it just starts to "drop" out of the shower head rather than spray.

I suspect this is because of the hot water temp needing more hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

OP, Boards has a plumbing and heating forum - you have actually gotten more serious and helpful answers than I'd have expected, but you'd probably be better off posting there:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320

EDIT: Beaten to the punch I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So no pressure on the hot, but at the same time plenty of pressure on the cold and pressures on hot and cold everywhere else are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Sure it ain't an electric shower that is off but for some reason connected to the hot water piping?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The way they were throwing up houses I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming from next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

cloud493 wrote: »
    You left the immersion on :eek:

Looks like we've found the source of global warming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Have you tried running the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Sounds like the hot water booster pump is turned off/fcuked.

Advertisement