Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To The Future Part III

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Back To The Future 3 is a crime against cinema (which is a pity as the first two are epic).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

myshirt wrote: »
    At the end of the Lord of The Rings, a phoenix flies Frodo and co back from Mount Doom to the shire.

Begging the question, why didn't they just fly there in the first place instead of taking three movies to walk it?

because unlike Back to the Future its a load of cr@p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

BTTF is a great take on time travel, but if you want your head really messed up go watch Primer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think the real mistake in BTTF 3 is that:

* At the start of BTTF 3 - Marty learns that Doc is going to be killed only days after he writes the letter. He shares this information with Doc from 1955.

If someone who had been to the future told you, in 30 years or so, you'll be struck by lightening and end up in the 1880s. And on Sept. 2nd, 1886 (or whatever it was) you'll be killed by a guy named Mad Dog.....isn't that something you'd remember?

Of course you would.

That means, Doc would have known he was going to get struck by lightening the entire time they were in BTTF 2. Which is fine. But as soon as he got to the 1800s, he's KNOW when and where (at least what city) he would be shot. And by who.

So, when Mad Dog comes to town and demands money or new shoes or whatever for his horse, he could have just gone along with it. In fact, he tells Marty that, 'Had I know, I'd have paid him' or something similar. BUT HE DID KNOW. He knew for 30+ years, because Marty told him in 1955.

Instead of building the ice machine, he could have relocated to the East Coast - far away from Mad Dog. Or ya know, taken a vacation the month he was meant to be shot by Mad Dog.

Marty telling 1955 Doc about his future death would be enough to stop it. Marty wouldn't need to go back into the past. Hell, all Doc needed to do is remember he would be struck by lightening while flying in 1955 with the time machine. And take measures to ensure the time circuits aren't turned on. Unplug the flux capacitor - we know cars can fly without time circuits. The lightening wouldn't have sent him anyway, and him and Marty could both go back to the future.

But yeah, it's a fun children's movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Eight o'clock Monday, runt. If you ain't here, I'll hunt you and shoot you down like a duck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Hard to believe BTTF was made in 1985 and Part 3 in 1990. They never tire when I look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

The real problem with BTTF is that even if time travel was real, it couldn't happen. Marty goes back in time, fixes everything that went wrong, and since everything is now fixed and nothing ever went wrong, there's now no need for Marty to go back in time and fix anything.

The original (and only decent) 'Terminator' movie will also make your head explode with this kind of shenanigans, if you feel so inclined to explore it.

Advertisement