Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To The Future Part III

Options
  • 28-12-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

Watched it yesterday on ITV. Few years since i seen it.

So near the end in Back To The Future Part II on the 12th of November 1955 the DeLorean is struck by lighting sending Doc Brown back to 1885. Minutes later a courier from Western Union arrives and hands Marty a letter from Doc stating that he was sent back in time to 1885. Marty then goes to find the 1955 Doc who had just helped the original Marty get back to 1985.

Part III Marty and 1955 Doc go to the mine retrieve the DeLorean and fix it with instructions 1985 Doc (who is stuck in 1855) sent to Marty. Marty goes back in time to 1855 and arrives in the wild west and gets caught up in a chased between the Cavlary and the Indians. The Indians shoot an arrow at the DeLorean breaking the fuel line and all the petrol in the DeLorean is lost.

Marty finds the 1985 Doc who is working as a blacksmith in the old west who explains to Marty that he can not accelerate the DeLorean to 88mph because petrol wont exist until the next century so they have to find another way to accelerate the DeLorean.

Why didn't the Doc and Marty not just go the mine and retrieve the DeLorean the Doc had hidden there and siphon the petrol and take any other parts they needed for the DeLorean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Because it's a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I sit up late at night wondering. Genuinely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Because.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I could never get past having sex with his mother to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

There's a video of her with Portia de Rossi somewhere. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here is one that will blow your mind even more op :P
    Why did they need gas at all... The version of the DeLorean that went back had 'Mr Fusion'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Why did they need gas at all... The version of the DeLorean that went back had 'Mr Fusion'

Mr Fusion only powered the flux capacitor I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i think it had a punto engine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

chrysagon wrote: »
    i think it had a punto engine!!

Pretty sure the DeLorean DMC-12 had a v6 PRV Lotus/Renault engine :D

• Advertisement

Chris___ wrote: »
    Pretty sure the DeLorean DMC-12 had a v6 PRV Lotus/Renault engine :D

guys..i was joking

chrysagon wrote: »
    guys..i was joking

Ohhh you.

But i still appreciate the information

I thought that it was petrol! :pac:

The DMC 12 had a V6 made by Renault and Pegueot jointly.

Needed three parking spaces if you wanted to open the doors presumably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I love how Doc Brown shouts Marty! and also how he says Great Scott!

Brilliant movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I watched all three again recently. I was suitably impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

which is used to power the flux capacitor not the car.

The real question is, if old Biff went to the past how did he get back to the future to give marty and the doc delorean which brought them back to the alternate 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've come across this question before, it's pretty common when talking about Back to the Future. Great movies btw.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/16532/the-plot-holes-and-paradoxes-of-the-back-to-the-future-trilogy

There Are Two Deloreans In 1885

I'd never even considered this until Den Of Geek reader 'HarrisonFord' (we assume he's the real one) raised it in our discussion of Back To The Future Part III last week. And it's this: there has to be two time machines in 1885.

Much of the third film is spent trying to find new ways to get the Delorean that Marty travelled back from 1955 in up to 88mph. But what about the time machine that Doc got sent in, when it was struck by lightning at the end of Back To The Future Part II? That's the one that he stores in a cave for 70 years (although it's still damaged, to be fair, as the Doc sends instructions forward in time). And given that it's established that we can have two Docs and two Martys at the same point in time, why can't we have two cars?

Now, there's some argument as to whether Doc has either drained the car of fluid, or left it with a full tank of fuel. Either way, there's surely something of use in the second car.

Of course, there are arguments why that car can't be touched. Firstly, there's the old paradox rule that would destroy the universe, although by the third film, the Doc is getting far more liberal with the laws of time. And secondly, if the alternative car was used, then Marty - are you following this? - wouldn't have been able to get back to 1885 in the first place. Because if it was fundamentally tampered with or used, that'd make it either redundant of non-existent in 1955. Which would, of course, create a paradox to bring down the universe, as you well know.

Couldn't the Doc make gasoline?

In 1885, the big problem Marty and the Doc face is that they can't get hold of gasoline. However, the Doc at this stage has the knowledge of how he made the time machine, and he's also managed to put together a nifty contraption to make an ice cube.

Couldn't he, in theory, track down where kerosene (which was available in 1885) was being refined, and make some gasoline from the by-product of that process?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He tried that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Riddle101 wrote: »
    And secondly, if the alternative car was used, then Marty - are you following this? - wouldn't have been able to get back to 1885 in the first place. Because if it was fundamentally tampered with or used, that'd make it either redundant of non-existent in 1955. Which would, of course, create a paradox to bring down the universe, as you well know.

This is the reason: it'd create a huge time paradox. If they touch the hidden Delorean in 1885, it won't be there in 1955, so the Marty in 1955 couldn't get to 1885, so he wouldn't be there to touch it at all. It just can't logically happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And just where exactly would they have gotten banana skins in the old west ???

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Chris___ wrote: »
    Why didn't the Doc and Marty not just go the mine and retrieve the DeLorean the Doc had hidden there and siphon the petrol and take any other parts they needed for the DeLorean?

Didn't Doc drain the gas from the tank before he sealed the Delorean in the cave?

Anyway, they couldn't risk unsealing the Delorean to get gas or parts as that would put them at risk of doing something that might have prevented Marty and 1955 Doc from retrieving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Two things - TL;DR - go to the bottom....

Thing #1
    Time travel works differently in different movies. So many people just pick whichever time travel they like, and make statements that don't apply.

See infographic: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gKCSowBUhNQ/UTE32ZPQ8NI/AAAAAAAAG8s/y8D0LmUuXSo/s1600/bc8Du.jpg

BTTF has a 'dynamic' timeline. And it's the most difficult to reason about. The specifics how how time travel works in the BTTF universe are never really established in the movies either, so it's largely speculation as to how things would have or should have worked.

Still, in BTTF - we know that actions in the past ripple through time. In BTTF 1 Marty went back in time and messed up his parents meeting. His photo started fading *slowly*. The things he did in the past, affected his future, but not instantly, or at least based on some probability of how things will continue. Then, in the movie, he got his parents back together in a way that kept himself and his siblings alive (but had a profound affect on his future).

What this means is that it doesn't matter that Marty is in the 1955. He'll still fade away (like he was doing on stage) if the timeline is screwed up. If Marty's parents didn't hook up, he couldn't exist, so he fades away.

In BTTF 3 - Marty and Doc couldn't have done anything with the Delorean in the cave that would have prevented Marty from being able to use the Delorean in 1955 to go back to the 1800s. Presumably, they could take a part from the time machine, so long as they were sure 1955 doc could make a replacement. My point is, even though that Delorean was there, they needed to leave it there so Marty could come back. Otherwise, he'd just fade away.

They could only take parts from the Delorean if it wouldn't stop Marty from coming back to the 1800s. If Marty can't make it back, he'd fade away and Doc would still be killed.

Thing #2
    Okay - fine - so they have to ensure Marty can get back to 1885. So, why not just use the gas in the tank of the time machine in the cave?

Well, that's easy. Ask any car guy what to do if you want to store a car for 70 years or so. Drain the fluids is a big one. Doc would have prepared the car so that it would be in as good of a condition as possible for his 1955 counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have it on Blu-ray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

This video explains it all.

http://youtu.be/zq5-6PkVGCg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I've come across this question before, it's pretty common when talking about Back to the Future. Great movies btw.

(...snip...)

Couldn't he, in theory, track down where kerosene (which was available in 1885) was being refined, and make some gasoline from the by-product of that process?

I don't remember the exact timeline, but Marty showed up days before Doc was to be killed. Presumably, they didn't have enough time to get the required ingredients/tools and produce the gasoline before Doc's murder.

Marty only went back a few days before his death because, why not? He assumed he'd be able to grab the Doc and return immediately - the gas tank problem was unexpected.

Doc didn't know he was going to die, so he was busy building Ice machines and fancy scoped guns.

Of course *after* Mad Dog was out of the picture, that changed. But for most of the movie, they only had a very limited amount of time. I honestly have no idea how hard it would be to make gasoline - if it's easy, then maybe this doesn't explain it away.

At least, that's my take on it. I think if you look hard enough at any movie you can find plot holes though. It's just the result of the sheer number of people that work on it and provide direction, along with editing and time constraints and all that jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

At the end of the Lord of The Rings, a phoenix flies Frodo and co back from Mount Doom to the shire.

Begging the question, why didn't they just fly there in the first place instead of taking three movies to walk it?

Advertisement