Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to get from London to Ireland (Donegal) without flying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Unless you plan to stay in donegal. In which case buy a car. Preferably a golf gti or you won't fit in.

Don't worry about importing it or paying vrt. Nobody else does up there.

Who rattled your cage????????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

By camel, tis the season after all. Just make sure to bring a Frankenstein film, a box of Terry's all gold and a blur CD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Why in the holy name of God would anyone want to torture themselves with that amount of travel?

The UK, ferry, then get to Belfast or Dublin. Followed by how many more hours on a bus to Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

There are other ferries that the OP left out

Fishguard to Rosslare, train all the way up to Derry, or take the bus to Limerick and then up to Donegal

Heysham to Warrenpoint, not sure if they take foot passengers

Campbelltown to Ballycastle (if you have a good way of getting to Campbeltown that I don't know about)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Going to North Donegal (Inishowen and Letterkenny)?

London Euston to Derry via train and boat to Dublin from Holyhead.

Travel first class on the train to Holyhead, club class on the Holyhead - Dublin boat and first class to Belfast on the Enterprise. The trains to Derry are Standard only but don't suck.

Eat and drink your fill on the trains and boat.

Seat61.com will give you the full details of how to do it.

Then taxi home!

:)

How classy will the bus connection be from Dublin Port to Connolly? Plus, Irish Trains dont do a connecting service with the ferry, unlike at Holyhead.

• Advertisement

Fishguard to Rosslare, train all the way up to Derry, or take the bus to Limerick and then up to Donegal

Campbelltown to Ballycastle (if you have a good way of getting to Campbeltown that I don't know about)

So change in limerick, and possibly in Galway, and Sligo as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Easy peasy - Just take the North Essendon Ferry direct to Gweedore. It's only a five hour journey.*

*may be fictional..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

This summer I took the train/ferry from London to Belfast. It was a long day of travel but also really fun and it was lovely to see so much of the UK, when I'd previously only ever been in London. It was 12 hours from start to finish. We spent one night in Belfast then back home to Dublin by bus.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So change in limerick, and possibly in Galway, and Sligo as well?

No need to change in sligo.

Hmm I wonder is that way actually still possible.

No need to change in sligo.

Hmm I wonder is that way actually still possible.

Well its atleast a 10-15 minute break.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Well its atleast a 10-15 minute break.

Enough for you to get a bag of taytos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

So what are you smuggling, op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

One thing we've all overlooked: there are occasional cruises that have UK ports and Killybegs on their itinerary.

Great for people who have huge amounts of money and time, hate planes/trains/buses/cars and don't mind spending just a day in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Why can't they just fly to knock or Dublin and get the bus or train? Would cost less??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Did I miss something? Why wont/cant he fly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Train from Euston to Glasgow as a back up plan,( half of Glasgow's from Donegal ) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

dd972 wrote: »
    Train from Euston to Glasgow as a back up plan,( half of Glasgow's from Donegal ) :)

Yeah, but Glasgow has Ebola..

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

There are 3 ways I can think of... without the usual AH malarkey..

Train from London Northbound, change at Chester, take train to Holyhead, ferry to Dublin, bus to Donegal.

Train from London to Liverpool, ferry from Liverpool to Dublin, bus to Donegal.

Train from London to Dumfries, train from Dumfries to Stranraer, ferry to Belfast, train to Derry, bus to Donegal.

thanks in advance for any sensible suggestions..

Have the entire county of Donegal come to YOU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A pleasant variation when you have no time restraints and want to see different and beautiful parts of Ireland

Take train to Fishgaurd
    Boat to Rosslare
    Bus to Waterford
    Train or bus from Waterford to Galway
    Bus from Galway to Donegal

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another +1 for seat61

you can do bus from victoria coach station. You have to check in for the bus an hour before travel at 5 or 6 in the evening it's jammers, sardine city, and when you get on the bus it's a 12 hour journey at night so you don't see much http://eurolines.co.uk/ = https://eurolines.buseireann.ie/

Train is much better and faster. Difference in price is probably less than you'd speed on service station food on the bus. Go in the morning on the Virgin train if you can,

there's also Megabus http://uk.megabus.com/England%20to%20Ireland.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Unless you plan to stay in donegal. In which case buy a car. Preferably a golf gti or you won't fit in.

Don't worry about importing it or paying vrt. Nobody else does up there.

Fcuk off with the assumptions.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My Grandparents used to live in Harwich. It is a fair trek from there to London - at least one change, then across from Liverpool Street over to wherever your bus is. With luggage, I assume. Sounds like hell and will be no cheaper than flying when you factor in the UK rail fare - unless you go Sailrail.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is that Campbelltown on the Mull of Kintyre? Most depressing town I've ever had the misfortune to spend a night in :eek:

If it were me (and I didn't, mysteriously, object to flying), I'd do a night train to Glasgow, and fly direct to Donegal airport - cutest airport in the whole wide world!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Banjoxed wrote: »
    In fact, here's a link to Seat61 giving full details about how to get to the North from London by rail and boat. It's a thing.

http://seat61.com/NorthernIreland.htm#.VJ9VdAA4JQ
    this is great, never new it existed.. they should advertise this more, thanks again

It is indeed a great site, however he is incorrect about this in option one - "One ticket covers the whole journey from any station in Britain to Belfast or any station in Northern Ireland."

Unless you plan on walking from Dublin Ferryport to Connolly Station, its going to cost you extra for that leg. So its worth having a few euro on you, (worth noting as this is essentially a journey between two cities not in the Eurozone).

This is a real bugbear of mine and a poor first impression a lot of visitors to Ireland are met with.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

roadsmart wrote: »
    Ferry from Liverpool to dublin is about 8 hours, as opposed to Holyhead swift (90 minutes) or ferry (3.5 hours). Why in the name of Gawwwwwd would you put yourself through an 8 hour winter ferry journey?

Why does the Lpool-Dub ferry take 8 hours, when the Holyhead-Dub takes 3.5 hours? There does not seem to be much difference distance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Get the £30 sail rail from London to sligo and then get a bus to donegal. Probaly the cheapest and most comfortable way

Why does the Lpool-Dub ferry take 8 hours, when the Holyhead-Dub takes 3.5 hours? There does not seem to be much difference distance wise.

Not a lot. Its only twice the distance.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Theres no ferry from Birkenhead to Liverpool no more only P&O from Liverpool port to Dublin which doesnt take foot passengers
    Id say do the ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast and do a night crossing with a cabin get a good nights sleep and wake up in belfast in the am. Then take a bus from Belfast to Leterkenny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get the £30 sail rail from London to sligo and then get a bus to donegal. Probaly the cheapest and most comfortable way
    £30 ?

love to know where you got that fare

Advertisement