Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

It is great to have the NCT road testing monopoly in a country with poor roads.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

SpaceTime wrote: »
    On a cloudy night on a dark country road that could mean driving into a wall too.

I passed so many cars with blown lights the other night that I switched my own lights off for a moment to see how much I would be able to see still if the unlucky thing actually happened.

The answer is zilch, the eyes take some time to adjust, its absolute blackness. Very scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

visual wrote: »
    Unless you drive a jeep that is built for a bit of off-road ramps are pushing most cars suspension to the limits and then some.
    Crawling over ramps of various sizes because your not a local isn't the answer. Should be able to make reasonable progress with 4 adults and luggage in standard car without suspension bottom out or car scraping off the ground. But that isn't the case. Someone cried cars go to fast by here and before you know it bob the builder has road up and ramp in.

I don't crawl. And a bravo, Octavia, megane and vectra are far from Jeeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Driving in Dublin City and the greater Dublin area for years, Blackhorse Avenue was on my daily commute twice daily for anyone that knows it. Never had issues with my steering or suspension in any of my cars. I even managed to find a simple way to not bounce over any ramps I encounter.

I think bonalongherb is missing the point of speed ramps. Serves him right if he fecks up his car in that case. I encounter several series of speed ramps on my commute. They must add at least 2 seconds to my journey time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

corktina wrote: »
    did you report them?

Yep. Ben filled multiple times and each time they end up worse. The problem with them is that you can't avoid them. I've gone over slowly on them and still bounce around the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Alias G wrote: »
    Ireland has one of the most extensive road networks in Europe due to the amount of boreen traversing the countryside. How exactly are we supposed to fund the maintenance of it. If people prefer to live in the back of beyond the reality is poor infrastructure is a disadvantage to that decision

It's down to poor planning. If you look at most European countries, it's all about Zoning. You have zones for housing, shopping, industry, green belt, forest, agri, etc...
    Towns and cities are usually connected three ways, motorway, A road and B road. After that there's walking and cycling tracks.
    This never happened in Ireland. Houses seem to have been built just any old where and along with that a spiders web of roads. There's a million ways you can get from A to B. Maintaining all these roads in pristine condition is impossible. The problem is also that local authorities cannot distinguish between different types of traffic, so everyone gets crammed into the same roadspace. Most roads are also narrow, windy, unlit and frankly unsafe for anyone.
    What should be done is to make most these roads into green roads, access for locals only and a lot of superfluous roads into walking and cycling tracks, so walkers and cyclists wouldn't have to risk their lives on windy, unlit roads with no hard shoulder.
    The road network would have to be cut by almost half and the remaining green tracks would be a huge tourist attraction for cycling and walking.
    Then, what remains, should be easier to maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It's down to poor planning. If you look at most European countries, it's all about Zoning. You have zones for housing, shopping, industry, green belt, forest, agri, etc...
    Towns and cities are usually connected three ways, motorway, A road and B road. After that there's walking and cycling tracks.
    This never happened in Ireland. Houses seem to have been built just any old where and along with that a spiders web of roads. There's a million ways you can get from A to B. Maintaining all these roads in pristine condition is impossible. The problem is also that local authorities cannot distinguish between different types of traffic, so everyone gets crammed into the same roadspace. Most roads are also narrow, windy, unlit and frankly unsafe for anyone.
    What should be done is to make most these roads into green roads, access for locals only and a lot of superfluous roads into walking and cycling tracks, so walkers and cyclists wouldn't have to risk their lives on windy, unlit roads with no hard shoulder.
    The road network would have to be cut by almost half and the remaining green tracks would be a huge tourist attraction for cycling and walking.
    Then, what remains, should be easier to maintain.
    That is so wrong on so many levels it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jca wrote: »
    That is so wrong on so many levels it's scary.

I'd agree with him.

It's plain to see that the roads here are planned in a way as to fit them in around whatever is built rather than the other way around.

Mahon point in Cork for example shares an exit with the business park and for local residents, it should just have its own entrance from the dual carriage way.

Tons of rat runs exist in Ireland, with people driving through local residential areas to save time/tolls.

Bit crazy really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'd agree with him.

It's plain to see that the roads here are planned in a way as to fit them in around whatever is built rather than the other way around.

Mahon point in Cork for example shares an exit with the business park and for local residents, it should just have its own entrance from the dual carriage way.

Tons of rat runs exist in Ireland, with people driving through local residential areas to save time/tolls.

Bit crazy really.

It was more the solution he was offering that had me scared not the statement of the obvious at the beginning of the tome.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A good war will sort that out.

A good war will sort that out.

I think this was suggested at some point. Declare war on America, let them bomb the place to sh*t, surrender immediately and get built up again by them.
    Instant new country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I think this was suggested at some point. Declare war on America, let them bomb the place to sh*t, surrender immediately and get built up again by them.
    Instant new country!

America is a far worse shíthole than Ireland. So it would only be making it worse.

America is a far worse shíthole than Ireland. So it would only be making it worse.

They are indeed, at least 20% of the US is a 3rd world country with fcuk all services and amenities, with no prospects for the people.
    The reason for that is that they keep bombing foreign countries and then spend all their money on rebuilding them.
    This plan would have worked under Dubya, his foreign policy consisted of bombing other countries so everyone would love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

They are indeed, at least 20% of the US is a 3rd world country with fcuk all services and amenities, with no prospects for the people.
    The reason for that is that they keep bombing foreign countries and then spend all their money on rebuilding them.
    This plan would have worked under Dubya, his foreign policy consisted of bombing other countries so everyone would love them.

What have they rebuilt in Irag or Afghanistan ? SFA, Anything they spend there is repayable by the governments there with the contracts going to mainly US companies anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ammollo85

I confirm that roads here are a disaster compared to where I used to drive: Switzerland, southern Germany and northern Italy. Those countries have a much more dense road network, including secondary roads. So I don't buy the fairy tale that here is better, because I've seen it with my own eyes. I agree with AA and OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

My only gripe with the NCT is that for cars over 10 years the price should be lower as you test every year. No issue with testing it every year just it should be no more than 60% of full price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

My only gripe with the NCT is that for cars over 10 years the price should be lower as you test every year. No issue with testing it every year just it should be no more than 60% of full price.

cars over 10 years was a sweetener from RSA to NCT along with testing from date of car first registered. this isn't a dig at NCT but is at RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It should be included in your motor tax as we sure pay enough for that as it. Show up with a valid tax disc and your initial test is included but you then pay for any subsequent retests.

Advertisement