Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe tooth ache

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

lukesmom wrote: »
    Worst pain I ever had is giving birth to my children. Oh the pain and knowing its going to get more intense by the minute. Especially my last boy at 8 pounds and no time for pain relief, I literally thought I was going to die but alas I didn't.

Can't be that bad if you voluntarily did it more than once...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

antodeco wrote: »
    I suffer with sinusitis. Some of the worst pain I've ever felt was from it. I remember rubbing red tiger balm across my brow and temples to try release the pain. All my skin burnt off from it, but the pain went!

Apart from childbirth with complications, sinusitis and back pains.
    Sinusitis could have you writhing all night, eyes closed, then open, cold wet cloth on face, warm face cloth, every remedy that can possibly be invented.

But I know if I had a recent toothache I would say that too, it's awful.

For sinus sufferers I find that since I made myself familiar with the exact shape of sinus on face (the ones next to nose on either side especially), and since I've started using a sinus rinse (the bottle thingy you squish in), I have been able to stave off a lot of attacks. You just have to know what the shape of the "piping" is like before you can rinse it effectively (or attempt to). Check it out, it could really help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I gave birth and had a tooth removed within weeks of each other, earlier this year.

The tooth extraction itself was grand - no worse than getting a filling, or getting your teeth cleaned. But, christ, the pain I was in before getting it out was horrific. I had an abscess on one of my molars. I was actually moaning and crying with the pain, for days, even while on the "good" drugs (Difene). Can't imagine how much worse it would have been without them.

It's hard to say which was worse - labour was f*cking horrific, I wouldn't wish that sort of pain on my worst enemy, but at least I knew once it started that the end was only hours away. (Although at the time, it felt more likely to end with my death than with a baby, as it didn't seem anyone could actually experience that level of pain and survive it!)

I've never really experienced any other real pain. Broken a few bones, had some bad burns, etc, but nothing to compare to either of the above. Wouldn't be in a hurry to go through either experience again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Can't be that bad if you voluntarily did it more than once...

It's really bad actually. Pass out with pain kind of bad. And nobody can do it for you. I didn't volunteer as such. You forget the intensity of the pain when you see your baby. It's worth it obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

sciatica. The chronic pain over a few weeks changed me physically and mentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Cellulitis

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I passed out at the dentist last year. Hadn't slept for two nights and hadn't eaten for about 24 years.

Earlier this year I had a tooth filled but the pain never fully went away. It's just bubbling under since July. Sometimes there's no pain at all and other times it's a 5 or 6, but mostly it's only 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've broken a few bones in my time, cracked a rib which ached for months afterwards and a few more things, but the worst pain I've dealt with was a tooth ache too.

It turns out that I have (or had) a few too many teeth in my jaw and when my lower wisdom teeth came in, they came in basically sideways, forcing my teeth closer together and basically cracking them into chunks.

I've had to have two of my teeth taken out in 3 years because of it and I'm dreading the idea of it happen again. The worst part is that even though I genuinely brush my teeth 2-3 times a day (yes I'm that sad git that brushes at work) my teeth are banjaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I know the feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 35,687 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could he not save tooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I passed out at the dentist last year. Hadn't slept for two nights and hadn't eaten for about 24 years.

Earlier this year I had a tooth filled but the pain never fully went away. It's just bubbling under since July. Sometimes there's no pain at all and other times it's a 5 or 6, but mostly it's only 1 or 2.

Must have lost a fair bit of weight in that 24 years? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Although nothing compared to sciatica, childbirth or stepping on a lego, I did have stitches on my eye (not in the muscle near my eye but on the eye itself). The pain wasn't too bad but the constant foreign body sensation nearly drove me mad. Every blink was irritating so I became intensely aware of each one, blinking started to lose its automatic nature for me. The thing was, if I closed my eye for more than a few moments it would begin to feel unbearably itchy on the inside of the eyelid! Having them removed involved sitting still while an ophthalmologist used tweezers to clip each suture and pull them out... such a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I had a cyst on my eyelid removed, they operated on the inside of the lid, could see the needle going in and the scalpel cutting as well.

It wasn't painful but it was some of the worst fear I have come across

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Got a tooth pulled and learned what a dry socket was a day later, never felt pain like it.

What is this dry rot?

What is this dry rot?

No, it's the term used for the gum becoming infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The Aul toothache is horrible as is standing on an upturned plug, but feck me ear aches are a bitch. The pain come and goes, but the warning jolts before it starts keeps you on real edge.
    Suffer alot from foot cramps too, they are a bitch.
    Feel for people who have alot of Sciatica, I had what I thought was sciatica twice, never again I hope.

Someone told me shingles are a sore dose as well, not that i ever want to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Must have lost a fair bit of weight in that 24 years? :eek:

Bah. I meant 24 hours. :o

Someone told me shingles are a sore dose as well, not that i ever want to find out.

had them, was very young at the time so dont remember the pain but glad im over them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Shingles are not so bad... my mother had them, she was a bit uncomfortable, but nothing too major.

Then again, this woman would carry 6 bags of shopping in each hand with four kids swinging out of her, week in week out... my wife won't even do the shopping unless she can get a parking space close to the door... Irish mammys of old, tough ladies eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

lost two pre molar tooths in last 6 years one on both sides basically,due to avoiding going to dentist,then to save few euros to get it extracted rtaher then getting canal done :( the pain is insane,i remember going to pharmacy to get some pain killers,and i swear it was like asking for heroin :rolleyes:

On the other note more then 7 years ago was on a flight 3 hours,and had flu at that time,little did i know that having any mucus in nose and given pressurized plane at altitude over 10km will force any liquids from the nose to the ears,the pain was unbearable and i couldnt figure out what was causing it,and just before landing it got to the point where i almost passed out from the pain as i felt like needle is being pushed into my ear drum,went to see doc week later before flying home and got told what the issue was and basically was seconds away from loosing ear drum,due to pressure,which created rupture,not to mention warning not to fly back due to risk of loosing hearing on one side.so yeah tooth and ears can be reall b*** when not treated at time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i have gout, it is only a minor inconvenience campared to my ostioarthritis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Got myself some very weird bite or something on my ankle in Thailand a few years ago. We never did figure out exactly what it was, but at one stage I could almost see it bubbling - literally. There was an almost circle of skin burning away. It hurt. A lot.

However, Electric Picnic was on a few weeks later, and it seemed to be healing, so off I went.

It was the rainy EP of 2011 (I think) and my ankle did not like being covered in whatever the fck is in those piles of mud.

Ended up with a bone marrow infection. I took about four hours before admitting defeat and going into hospital. Those four hours felt like somebody had a lighter in the inside of my skin.

Advertisement