Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King George VI Chase

Options
  • 26-12-2014 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me how I managed to get 25/1 on Johns Spirit this morning. Should be at least half those odds, this ever improving 7 year old has a huge chance today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me how I managed to get 25/1 on Johns Spirit this morning. Should be at least half those odds, this ever improving 7 year old has a huge chance today.

Should be 50's on the form the stable is in.No winner in December,has to change sometime I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Andalucia wrote: »
    Should be 50's on the form the stable is in.No winner in December,has to change sometime I suppose.

Hes only had 10 runners in the last 14 days and 3 of them were placed so that statistic could be a bit misguiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

widely available at 33/1. you were done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Might snatch a place at best but he's been well beaten anytime he's gone 3m. He'll need a few to perform well below par to be winning or maybe even placing though to me. Think 25's is about right

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    widely available at 33/1. you were done.

I will be happy enough to take the better odds when McLernon steers him home in 1st place with Conti and Cue Card toiling in his wake :pac:

• Advertisement

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Might snatch a place at best but he's been well beaten anytime he's gone 3m. He'll need a few to perform well below par to be winning or maybe even placing though to me. Think 25's is about right

Plenty of question marks over most of the field barring SC. Is CC anywhere near his best, same with Al Ferof, will CF be better over 3 miles, will Menorah clatter a few like he always does, Dynaste much better over 2m 4f???

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Plenty of question marks over most of the field barring SC. Is CC anywhere near his best, same with Al Ferof, will CF be better over 3 miles, will Menorah clatter a few like he always does, Dynaste much better over 2m 4f???

I am ferofs form looks decent, beat wishful thinking and somersby in the amlim. Somersby then came second in the tingle creek and WT won the Peterborough. He's to be respected.

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I am ferofs form looks decent, beat wishful thinking and somersby in the amlim. Somersby then came second in the tingle creek and WT won the Peterborough. He's to be respected.

True enough, I actually tipped Al Ferof to win the Gold Cup last year, but his run here last year disappointed me he was a well beaten horse in 3rd. Cant see him reversing the form with SC, although there could be an argument that he wasn't at his very best last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Wonderful Charm at 50/1 is the one I like to outrun his odds. He's not as good as I first thought he'd turn out but a flat track and 3m is what he wants and the long home straight may see him stay on for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

backed af in this last year, mind was made up then never to back this one
    at this distance

finding it hard to find one to beat sc here

• Advertisement

Glad to see I'm not the only one giving him a squeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Going to pick between Silviniaco Conti and Champagne Fever in this, the race is mostly won by an up and coming 7yo or by last years winner again.

Bit worried about Silviniaco's lack of pace last year in behind Cue Card ( backed CC in a toss up with SC last year ) and heartened by his lack of stamina in the Gold Cup. He's a very fair price given the record of previous winners in the race.

Champagne Fever has a fine profile for this and is wrongly suspected of being short on stamina. He's probably the stoutest bred horse in the field and has the pace to lie up with cue Card while SC may struggle to go that pace, but will be coming at the end if CC and CF cut each other's throats up front.

Will back both, one as a saver..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Cue Card is a crazy price at 13/2, surely he won't be far away, last year was odd he seemed to hit a flay spot between 2 and 3 out but came home alright.

stamina wins the day again

mailburner wrote: »

He's a class horse to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Jumped perfectly, even when getting in close was brilliantly efficient.

sure is and that was a perfect ride
    you could see the race playing out like that bout half way through

Nulty wrote: »
    Jumped perfectly, even when getting in close was brilliantly efficient.

I can see them making the running in the Gold Cup too. Last years slow place was his undoing in that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

I laugh in the face of some people who said s.c. wasnt a stayer,delightful to watch.

Very canny ride, it's like Ruby and Jacobs fell asleep, he stole quite the march turning in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Shemale wrote: »
    Very canny ride, it's like Ruby and Jacobs fell asleep, he stole quite the march turning in.

Couldn't agree with that reading. CF just started to feel it and Fehily pushed on. Ruby never got closer than a length and that about halfway around. Best horse clearly won. No hard luck stories.

I laugh in the face of some people who said s.c. wasnt a stayer,delightful to watch.

if anyone said that after last years kg then they should be watching
    a different sport

they were certainly close enough if good enough when it mattered

they were certainly close enough if good enough when it mattered

Close enough but he was filling Contis lungs up for quite a way they just sat behind instead of applying a bit of pressure, net result Fehily had plenty under him for when it's needed.

Close enough but he was filling Contis lungs up for quite a way they just sat behind instead of applying a bit of pressure, net result Fehily had plenty under him for when it's needed.

there was no point applying too much pressure given sc has an abunance of stamina that most of the others didnt
    just the best by a mile today

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Imagine if the ground was Soft-Heavy today.... Conti would have finished with most of these still heading around the bend! lol

Great performance!

there was no point applying too much pressure given sc has an abunance of stamina that most of the others didnt
    just the best by a mile today

Best horse alright, still think it was a smart tactic by Fehily, he applied the pressure to Cue Card last year when Tizzard was letting him fill up. Ruby seemed confident enough Fever would stay thought he might the one to apply some pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

You may or may not be referencing my #13 post on this thread. Where I mentioned I was heartened by SCs lack of stamina in the Gold Cup. Many horses that get the King George trip well just don't get the Gold Cup trip where the extra few furlongs and demanding course test their stamina too much.

It takes a bit of pace to win the King George and the Gold Cup is a pure stayers race. SC looks better this year than last and last year's Gold Cup could have been a very good one. I still wouldn't back SC in it. I did last year and felt he ran out of stamina.

I still think on pedigree that Champagne Fever will get a trip well, he was outpaced by SC today and used himself a bit too much today.He is probably better than today's result would indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Don't rate Champagne Fever at all... it may come back to bit me, but couldn't understand the hype about him today, and struggling to see why he'd take a GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

tryfix wrote: »
    You may or may not be referencing my #13 post on this thread. Where I mentioned I was heartened by SCs lack of stamina in the Gold Cup. Many horses that get the King George trip well just don't get the Gold Cup trip where the extra few furlongs and demanding course test their stamina too much.

It takes a bit of pace to win the King George and the Gold Cup is a pure stayers race. SC looks better this year than last and last year's Gold Cup could have been a very good one. I still wouldn't back SC in it. I did last year and felt he ran out of stamina.

I still think on pedigree that Champagne Fever will get a trip well, he was outpaced by SC today and used himself a bit too much today.He is probably better than today's result would indicate.

No i wasnt referencing you tryfix,other people on here claimed sc wasnt a stayer,which bewildered me.i take your point about cheltenham,but imo its just a course he,s not crazy about.

Advertisement