Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Doge

Have to say, despite the poor sound this is one of the best Sonic bootlegs I've seen.

Seems to be based on the Mega Drive version of Sonic 1:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Doge wrote: »
    Have to say, despite the poor sound this is one of the best Sonic bootlegs I've seen.

Seems to be based on the Mega Drive version of Sonic 1
    That's not bad actually.
    The springs are like the ones from the Game Gear games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Does anyone have Mickey Mania on the Mega-CD?
    The disc looks a bit like those printable CD-r's on one I just got today and was wondering if that's the norm. Its the UK PAL version. I think it's legit, but just want to see if anyone has a copy here they can check.

ok0QldM.jpg

PS1-Style Horror Game Back In 1995 Coming To 3DS
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/06/ps1-style-horror-game-back-1995-coming-3ds/
    I think it looks cool, hope it'll come to the EU.
    bi199564_1ue_thumb.png

Any places in London worth a look? Flying in half an hour and haven't much plans.
    A friend might be bringing me to Capcom HQ, they need volunteers for an event I think and is asking can I help out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Any places in London worth a look? Flying in half an hour and haven't much plans.
    A friend might be bringing me to Capcom HQ, they mess volunteers for an event I think and is asking can I help out.

Wonder if it's Monster Hunter Generations based event, given it launches in just over a week! Jealous if it is!
    Haven't been to London in years, so can't say what's there anymore. Used to be a semi-decent arcade at the Trocadero, last time I was there they had Mario Kart arcade, which was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

So whats going down in groovetown guys :D Been busy the last while but thought id pop in to say hi

In recent news little sparks has graduated from primary school but also from DCU after doing a video game related course :cool:

Boulder Dash ftw btw :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So whats going down in groovetown guys :D Been busy the last while but thought id pop in to say hi

In recent news little sparks has graduated from primary school but also from DCU after doing a video game related course :cool:

Why not break with tradition and stop buggering off after making a post.
    You just missed an important Beers in Dino's place, we can't divulge details as you weren't there but I'd recommend not missing another!!

Congrats to Kirsty, quite something that something so creative and smart is actually related to you!
    Nice one ;)

Boulderdash pmsl! Repton FTW!!!

Sparks43 wrote: »

I missed you at the here's, say hey to Sparks Jr, delighted to hear.
    This is a Repton only topic gtfo :p
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Wonder if it's Monster Hunter Generations based event, given it launches in just over a week! Jealous if it is!
    Haven't been to London in years, so can't say what's there anymore. Used to be a semi-decent arcade at the Trocadero, last time I was there they had Mario Kart arcade, which was pretty cool.
    It was and there's something on in Dublin I heard from someone and they're live streaming the day irs out in Capcom. There's a photo of me on it MonHun UK event twitter or something so I'll go looking for it.
    I got no goodies unfortunately just helped move them, quite the adventure lol.
    Trocadero is sadly gone, rip my Hong Kong pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Welcome back Sparks !!

Good real life progress right there, heading towards a platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

C64 online Habitat being brought back via open source:

http://commodore.ninja/habitat-open-sourced/
    The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment has released the sources for Habitat. Possibly the world’s first MMO game / virtual world, LucasFilm Games and Quantum Link launched Habitat in 1986 on the Commodore 64. Amazingly, a strong following actually emerged, willing to pay by the hour to dial in via modem to participate in this first virtual online community.

The client is runnable on any C64 system or emulator, but the server is in need of help:

The goal, now, is to get the server to compile on Linux. This will take time and effort, but with the help of all of you, out there, who have patiently waited for us to make this move, we should be able to bring Habitat back online. How long that takes depends on how many contributors are out there, waiting to dive into 30 year old PL/1 code, and to fill in the blanks left by QLink.

They’re also looking for help with securing release of the last related intellectual property from AOL.

Link: M.A.D.E.
    Source code: Github

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

eddhorse wrote: »
    C64 online Habitat being brought back via open source:

http://commodore.ninja/habitat-open-sourced/
    You sure you're not confusing it with Habit-Hat?

After several failed attempts, here's some Capcom photos (*˘︶˘*)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    Welcome back Sparks !!

Good real life progress right there, heading towards a platinum.

He's fecked off again, hasn't he? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He's fecked off again, hasn't he? :(

Not this time :)

We need more people back on the forum Sparks, don't leave us again :)
    This place has got a lot quieter in the last few months though :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Steve X2 wrote: »
    We need more people back on the forum Sparks, don't leave us again :)
    This place has got a lot quieter in the last few months though :/

I think it's the site as a whole getting quieter with more people gravitating towards Facebook groups and other social media :(

In unrelated news, I need a new tv for my place in Canada. Looking at picking up a Sony one but I'm pretty clueless with modern TVs so are Sony still a good brand to go for? There's loads of those huge late 90s early 00s 65" rear projection ones for sale for peanuts, which is tempting but that's not going to happen :pac: so has to be a flat screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Don't think Sony have a great or premium name anymore in TV land Atavan. I'd avoid those giant rear projection tv's too...a lot of retro consoles came with warnings not to play on those, I presume they burn in very easily or something.

You're leaving RGB land (Europe), so tv choice across the pond is important. I think LG make pretty good tv's. Avoid Samsungs, mine gives a terrible cross hatch effect when used with Ninty consoles over RGB for some reason...something to do with how they use the sync signal I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Actually We've an LG one at the moment in the sitting room which is about 7 years old and held up well apart from recently developing a dead line of pixels. Might take a look at those

• Advertisement

Some of the newer LG's are lovely :) Just keep an eye on refresh/response rates (lower is better), and contrast ratio (higher is better).

Sony are losing money on TV's, but they do still make a great TV none the less. I'll be picking up one of their new 4k sets in the next month or so.

I'm not at all tuned into this 4K lark, but for 1080p sets, I always found Sony's a bit overpriced for what you get, & brands like LG offering better specs/value.

Yeah, you generally will pay more for a Sony(1080 or 4k). LG and Samsung and others have some fantastic screens at the moment(if getting 4k, make sure you get HDR), but I’ve decided to go with Sony’s new 2016 4k HDR TV. The sound is meant to be not the best on this model, but the screen is top notch and I’ll be using my own sound system so not too worried about it.

1080p would be fine for me. I'd have no need for 4K or 3D at the moment.

1080p would be fine for me. I'd have no need for 4K or 3D at the moment.

3D is on the way out in new TV's. In fairness it was mostly poo anyway :)

Yeah noticed that, 3D is largely a tacked on gimmick (with a handful of notable exceptions to that)...and it's no different at home. Perhaps it's even worse at home as the systems are active rather than passive, so you have powered shutters int he glasses that need a cable etc. I think even curved screens will go that way too, they seem gimmicky.

I guess I'll just have to wait for a VR tv as the new "must have" technology :pac:

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah noticed that, 3D is largely a tacked on gimmick (with a handful of notable exceptions to that)...and it's no different at home. Perhaps it's even worse at home as the systems are active rather than passive, so you have powered shutters int he glasses that need a cable etc. I think even curved screens will go that way too, they seem gimmicky.

Well the glasses I have at home are active and you just charge them up and away you go. Fun for the first 1 or 2 movies and then in a drawer never to be used again. Not a fan of the curved screens, they look cool in the showrooms but the practicality isn't there for me.

I picked up 3D gaming monitor a few years back, but I really just wanted it for the 120hz refresh, the 3D was just a novelty thing for the odd driving game or documentary.

Speaking of screens, I'll be interested to see how retro games look over RGB scart on the new 4k TV.

• Advertisement

For your Canadian la grotte de jeux I would suggest a decent but not huge 1080p screen, I'd do some googling to buy the best one there, and then check out "yard sales" for a cheap/free crt, a trini over there is bound to be as good as a trini here!

Regarding 3D, I never bought into it and, after seeing a 3D film on the big screen that was rendered a murky mess I have gone to 2D only screenings since.
    I was looking at the PS3 partnered 3D TV, as it was available for peanuts for a while, but it turns out to be a lousy display, using a shiny, reflective screen surface that makes it almost impossible to use in a room with reflections, so every room you can think of then, bar a pitch dark one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement