Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords oil on sale again

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Asmooh wrote: »
    depending on your car, but using good oil is there for a reason otherwise racing companies and other companies will be using cheap oil right?

Anyway cheap oil you need to change (if you care about your car) way more often.
    If you have a high performance car you should never use cheap oil or tyres anyway because its bad for your engine.. same as eating things that are a month over time.. may look good doesnt mean it is!

So, where do you draw the line, seeing as you don't seem to refer to oil standards and specs and go purely on brand. Is there a list of real oil manufacturers and a list of bad oil manufacturers that you can lend me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Asmooh wrote: »
    are people really putting this crap in their car instead of good castrol gtx or any other good brand?

What makes you think it's "crap"? Also What's the difference between it and castrol gtx or "any other good brand"?

My car takes 5w30 semi synthetic. Are you telling me that any spec of castrol or the equivalent is better for my engine than the correct spec of halfords branded oil?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What makes you think it's "crap"? Also What's the difference between it and castrol gtx or "any other good brand"?

My car takes 5w30 semi synthetic. Are you telling me that any spec of castrol or the equivalent is better for my engine than the correct spec of halfords branded oil?

It's that invisible 0.1% of a difference. It's like buying Monster cable or lamp cord. Both do the exact same job, no difference has ever been measure by any lab in the world, but the expensive stuff is better, because, well, it's expensive, so it has to be! So there!
    I got my car (06 CMax 1.8 TDCI) with 112k km on it. It now has 325k km on it. I used whatever cheap oil I could get that was the correct spec (Liqui Moli and the Halford oil on sale that this thread is about), because that is the important bit!
    I could have put in the most expensive 10w40 and wrecked it, but it's better to buy smart than just by prestige brand and high-end price.
    The end result? My engine is completely knackered, pouring smoke and drinking oil just the same as when I bought it, starts well, doesn't smoke, burns next to no oil and pulls well through the rev range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

They also have comma oil starting at 15 euro for 5 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

cena wrote: »
    They also have comma oil starting at 15 euro for 5 litres

All Halfords branded oil is Comma oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

jimgoose wrote: »
    All Halfords branded oil is Comma oil.

Halfords had an offer on in galway today.

Advertisement