Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords oil on sale again

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Went to pick up my 8 liters yesterday, thank god I reserved, all gone, all gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

enricoh wrote: »
    does it make a whole pile of odds using 10w40 s/s instead of 5w30, have to do an oil change on the womans 07 1.4 d4d corrolla n my own 04 almera.
    it comes up on that maxol site 5w30 for both, i always used 10w40 on the almera for last 8 years n never made any odds.
    basically i dont wanna splash out 20 quid on oil as i've the guts of a 20l drum of 10w40 ss there - sod it,i'll admit i'm tight!

Not sure about whether you'd get away with using it for the Almere but I definitely wouldn't put it near the Corolla it takes 5w30 as most modern diesels do. Your only going to mess up the engine longterm by using a more viscous ss oil. There's saving money and there's spending a pound to save a penny. Oil and tyres are two things you shouldn't scrimp on when it comes to cars.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Not sure about whether you'd get away with using it for the Almere but I definitely wouldn't put it near the Corolla it takes 5w30 as most modern diesels do. Your only going to mess up the engine longterm by using a more viscous ss oil. There's saving money and there's spending a pound to save a penny. Oil and tyres are two things you shouldn't scrimp on when it comes to cars.

Would agree, the Almera should be happy with the 10w40, but for a new diesel it is very important to get the right oil. Not just the right grade and not just specific for diesel and petrol, but the exact, correct spec.
    I know my Ford wants WSS-M2C913-B spec oil. If it doesn't say that on the can, I don't care what else it says, it's not going into my engine. Not even as a top-up.
    Having said that, the oil I got was WSS-M2C913-C and I'm already unsure about that, but I did think "close enough" for the price.

edit:
    Just checked here and it's backwards compatible, so not murdering my engine, phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

If they can do this stuff for 15 why is the vw 504/507 spec stuff so dear?
    Last year I think that was on sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

No ll04 oil in the offer. No bmw oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

mossy50 wrote: »
    A LIFE

You're trolling a motors forum on New Years Eve and you're telling people to get a life?

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Would agree, the Almera should be happy with the 10w40, but for a new diesel it is very important to get the right oil. Not just the right grade and not just specific for diesel and petrol, but the exact, correct spec.
    I know my Ford wants WSS-M2C913-B spec oil. If it doesn't say that on the can, I don't care what else it says, it's not going into my engine. Not even as a top-up.
    Having said that, the oil I got was WSS-M2C913-C and I'm already unsure about that, but I did think "close enough" for the price.

edit:
    Just checked here and it's backwards compatible, so not murdering my engine, phew!
    10w40 is the recommended oil for the almera,according to the Haynes Manual.

Volvoair wrote: »
    10w40 is the recommended oil for the almera,according to the Haynes Manual.

Looking good then. Maybe also check the owners manual to see if the recommend a particular spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

mossy50 wrote: »
    A LIFE

There is always 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

enricoh wrote: »
    does it make a whole pile of odds using 10w40 s/s instead of 5w30, have to do an oil change on the womans 07 1.4 d4d corrolla n my own 04 almera.
    it comes up on that maxol site 5w30 for both, i always used 10w40 on the almera for last 8 years n never made any odds.
    basically i dont wanna splash out 20 quid on oil as i've the guts of a 20l drum of 10w40 ss there - sod it,i'll admit i'm tight!

If the Almera is petrol either 5W/30 or 10W40 is fine, the important thing is the spec SJ/A3 remember there's a weak timing chain on these.

The Corolla is 5W/30 spec CF/B1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair, its heavily discounted this year too, maybe they had too much in stock last year, or they thought it would drive sales of other items.

Also, the price of base stock has a minimal effect on the price you pay for 4 litres of engine oil.

Id imagine it does help sales, I have to try stop myself looking at other stuff I might need, Im sure some people arent as good at me not looking as I try to keep costs down due to cash flow.

Any ideas if this is Halfords offer is coming up again anytime soon? I signed up to an email alert but have not got anything from them ever. Id have thought that would cover tools and oils etc.
    I see Im going low on oil stock, Ive got a 3 containers of different oil for different cars, one left for the mother, wife and then one Lidl one for me.

Now seems like a good time to enquire as Lidl have a 505.00 compatible oil, although Im thinking of ringing VW or Skoda and see if the Quantum 10w40/505.00 is reasonably priced, which Ive read it may be, I used Lidl oil in an older petrol but havent got around to trying it in the (old) diesel, part because Im just coming to a service now and part because Im wondering if Lidls 505.00 is ok in an a pre PD, pre dpf diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,070 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

cerastes wrote: »
    Any ideas if this is Halfords offer is coming up again anytime soon?

There's usually a Mobil or Castrol offer just before Summer with one offer following the other. From memory I think the Halfrords oil deal may only be around January in the new year sales, I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Got some in a vw dealers, suprisingly priced, what's more of a concern is that Skoda wanted nearly double for the same oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭cena

I got castrol 10w40 5litres the other day for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cena wrote: »
    I got castrol 10w40 5litres the other day for 20 euro

Doesn't magnatec only come in 4 litres?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

kona wrote: »
    Doesn't magnatec only come in 4 litres?

It comes in 5 litre bottles too.

TheBody wrote: »
    It comes in 5 litre bottles too.

Do you have a link? I've only seen it in 4. Be interested if you can get 5 litres.

Do you have a link? I've only seen it in 4. Be interested if you can get 5 litres.

No link as such but Super Savers sell 5 litres of Magnetec for around €27 ish. It's the cheapest I can find.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Supersavers-Discount-Stores/115072575207828

No link as such but Super Savers sell 5 litres of Magnetec for around €27 ish. It's the cheapest I can find.

Can't find it on there?

Google sorted me out, seems halfords only do 4l, wonder why lol.

Can't find it on there?

It's just their facebook page. It does exits though! I had it in my hands last week.

Here it is on micksgarage.com:

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1212940

• Advertisement

I like the 5 litre drums as it leaves you with some left over to top up the car between services.

I like the 5 litre drums as it leaves you with some left over to top up the car between services.

Exactley 4l leaves me just under a litre short.

The 10w40 magnetec 5litres is 25 euro and the 5w30 is 30 euro

cena wrote: »
    The 10w40 magnetec 5litres is 25 euro and the 5w30 is 30 euro

Is that in Super Savers? It's great value when you consider the prices elsewhere.

Is that in Super Savers? It's great value when you consider the prices elsewhere.

ya supersavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

are people really putting this crap in their car instead of good castrol gtx or any other good brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Asmooh wrote: »
    are people really putting this crap in their car instead of good castrol gtx or any other good brand?

What exactly happens when you use cheap oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

What exactly happens when you use cheap oil?

depending on your car, but using good oil is there for a reason otherwise racing companies and other companies will be using cheap oil right?

Anyway cheap oil you need to change (if you care about your car) way more often.
    If you have a high performance car you should never use cheap oil or tyres anyway because its bad for your engine.. same as eating things that are a month over time.. may look good doesnt mean it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

depending on your car, but using good oil is there for a reason otherwise racing companies and other companies will be using cheap oil right?

Anyway cheap oil you need to change (if you care about your car) way more often.
    If you have a high performance car you should never use cheap oil or tyres anyway because its bad for your engine.. same as eating things that are a month over time.. may look good doesnt mean it is!

Racing? It's been a long time since I've run a blue-printed race engine in a daily...
    For most people using cheap oil is much better than putting off a more expensive oil change. As long as the oil meets the spec., there is no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I put Chunky Chen Tyres on the back of my Focus ST....and the Radiator practically exploded. Now I know why :D

Advertisement