Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Rock: "White people need to own the actions of their ancestors"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

RWCNT wrote: »
    Not entirely sure its possible for a black person to be racist to a white person, discriminative/prejudiced maybe, but I think it needs to be part of an overall system of marginalization and oppression to be properly considered an "ism".
    That would make you an absolute dunce.

I think what RWCNT is saying is that in countries where Black people are a minority it's not possible for there to be Black institutional/structural racism because the systems of the structure of society are dominated by white people.

If that's what RWCNT meant then he's more right than wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

Saipanne wrote: »
    You're just being affable now.

*now I wait for the Gardai to kick my door in*

The meaning of affable I choose to take is charming and witty. Thanks for the compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Shabra wrote: »
    The meaning of affable I choose to take is charming and witty. Thanks for the compliment.

Whoosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I think what RWCNT is saying is that in countries where Black people are a minority it's not possible for there to be Black institutional/structural racism because the systems of the structure of society are dominated by white people.

It isn't unknown for countries to be dominated and controlled by minorities. Why is it impossible for black people to do that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

Saw Chris Rock at the Apollo Hammersmith, very talented comedian and usually quite intelligent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I'm thinking of getting a tee shirt saying "As a white straight male, I'm sorry" Everything seems to be my fault in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

AngeGal wrote: »
    Again notice the reference to America

Yet I specifically ensured there was no mention of America in what I quoted. The reason & context for my doing so should have been be pretty obvious. Unfortunately, your problem seems to stem from an overbearing desire to enforce your interpretation of the article onto everyone else. But thankfully, that's not how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

psinno wrote: »
    It isn't unknown for countries to be dominated and controlled by minorities.

Yes like whites in apartheid South Africa but usually such control is maintained through extreme violence and fear.
    Why is it impossible for black people to do that?

I guess it's not impossible but is it desirable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Joe prim wrote: »
    Never heard of him,is he anything to Dickie (or Barney)?

No but a cousin of Jim's (aka the Pink Panther).
    Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not being racist against pinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We should "own" our past. We'd get annoyed if germans said "What holocaust" and we get annoyed at turkey saying no genocide occurred. There are more than enough Irish people who will trot out "800 years of oppression" when they need to.

Thing is, as irish, our ancestors were just as likely to be the oppressed as oppressors so this "owning" our past isn't as relevant to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

People on here need to relax. He's not talking about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Uh oh. I'm surprised he would say something like this. He's a high school dropout so I don't think anyone is going to take him seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Hasn't Chris Rock been basing his entire comedy routine for the past 15 years on colour?

Most based on negative stereotypes about black ppl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I heard an interesting stat that 8% of white christians owned slaves in the US but it was up to 70% of Jewish people in the US given their involvement in trade. Most slave traders were also closed on Jewish holidays. Dont think we'll hear him bring that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Yet I specifically ensured there was no mention of America in what I quoted. The reason & context for my doing so should have been be pretty obvious. Unfortunately, your problem seems to stem from an overbearing desire to enforce your interpretation of the article onto everyone else. But thankfully, that's not how it works.

I'm not trying to force my 'interpretation' onto anyone. I'm trying to make it clear his comments were part of a much wider discussion between two Americans who are clearly talking solely about America for a magazine called 'New York'. Rather than posters rambling about Irish slaves which was going on in the first three pages.

You're using two short extracts in different parts of the interview removing all context to attempt to criticise him. It's illogical and frankly idiotic, like something from the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I've officially been told by an official black person that "Irish people don't count as white people" so we're off the hook. Merry Christmas you guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Better send the cops around to Chris' house to sort him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I'd agree with AngeGal that this interview was just about America.
    I live in Boston and saw coverage of this interview a while back and it was extremely clear it was about US history.
    Have to say I'm a little surprised by the reactions of some on here.
    I'd always be of the position that Ireland doesn't really have a race problem since it's not really part of our history.

However some of the comments that imply that black people can be as racist as white people or don't really have much to be complaining about are eerily similar to US comments you might read. It's still a huge issue in America. You will have an easier time getting a job, mortgage, house in a nice area if you are white. There's been multiple surveys that confirm this.

Regards housing and jobs
    http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/press/press_releases_media_advisories/2013/HUDNo.13-091
    http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

The title of this thread is a bit sensationalist but in the case of US whites probably true.
    There's a tendency among some white people in the States to ignore the benefits racial discrimination afforded them , their parents, their grandparents etc. Because there isn't as much blatant racism now, it's "all square" and black people should stop thinking they are victims.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

He'll go after either race, he's a comedian.

See his video on youtube on "How not to get your ass kicked by the police" in which his protagonist is black.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I see the Klan numbers are growing at a rate not seen since the 1920s, I think people see it more these days as an organisation to protect and uphold white Christian values (Catholics can now also join)

The problem is that they're no longer controlled by a national committee , being Imperial Wizard (National Director) is a bit like being High King of Ireland in the later age of the seat at Tara, no real power to control the different factions and renegade groups using the name

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Ah White Privilege

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpvFnL6dOk

Enjoy the crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Ah White Privilege

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpvFnL6dOk

Enjoy the crazy...

The title of that vid alone is a head scratcher but are you just sharing a dumb vid or trying to suggest white privilege isnt a thing?

Also, good edit Manic Moran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Sure black people are allowed to be racist. Same as women are allowed to be sexist.
    Just check out some ads on telly where the man is always the big stupid eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

vetinari wrote: »
    However some of the comments that imply that black people can be as racist as white people or don't really have much to be complaining about are eerily similar to US comments you might read. It's still a huge issue in America. You will have an easier time getting a job, mortgage, house in a nice area if you are white. There's been multiple surveys that confirm this.

Regards housing and jobs
    http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/press/press_releases_media_advisories/2013/HUDNo.13-091
    http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

The title of this thread is a bit sensationalist but in the case of US whites probably true.
    There's a tendency among some white people in the States to ignore the benefits racial discrimination afforded them , their parents, their grandparents etc. Because there isn't as much blatant racism now, it's "all square" and black people should stop thinking they are victims.

I'll just leave this here
    http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf-2/504059/GTAbug.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I see the Klan numbers are growing at a rate not seen since the 1920s, I think people see it more these days as an organisation to protect and uphold white Christian values (Catholics can now also join)

The problem is that they're no longer controlled by a national committee , being Imperial Wizard (National Director) is a bit like being High King of Ireland in the later age of the seat at Tara, no real power to control the different factions and renegade groups using the name

I can think of a few far bigger issues with people joining the KKK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

You have awful high notions of us as a nation if you think irish people were in any way in his contemplation during that interview.

It should be clear from the context of the interview that he was referring to US race relations.

Also, owning your ancestors past doesn't mean you accept responsibility. You can acknowledge it though.

Whether Bill O'Reilly and co admit it or not, slavery and racism created systems and social structures which still disadvantage black people today. It wasn't benevolence which meant that black urban communities tended to under privileged, lacking in education and services etc. for example.

Given the complete disregard of US politicans for the poor, they have stayed that way. It is very hard for entire communities to drag themselves out of that type of situation without government assistance.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Chris Rock can fukk off. I refuse to carry the white mans burden. It's out and out racist to expect me to take responsibility for the actions of total strangers with whom I share nothing but skin colour.

I would tend to agree with you. I kinda have a problem with people who call me a holocaust denier or an anti-semite or a neo-nazi if I have a question with Israeli soldiers beating the fuck out of kids though.
    So while blacks were actually someone's property in America in the 19th Century and were hanging from trees in the 1950's and 1960's and there are many who are sickened with those who perpetrated and got away with this horrible chapter, Chris Rock is probably right in calling out the white man who has caused his ilk so much agony just because of skin colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I agree with Chris Rock -

White people should be financially held accountable for the actions of their ancestors.

To that end reparations should be paid for the actions of the slavers. And credit paid by white people to all black people for the suffering caused.

As a further condition we will also be held accountable for the inventions of all white people before us. Non Caucasians will pay a subscription fee for the use of ...cars, televisions, microwaves, kfc, alloy rims and well... practically ever fvcking invention in our modern lives.

The numbers will be entered in double column accounts and Mr Rock can forward me my $5000 by end of year for use of my white person patents.

you can skip the envelope fee Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I agree with Chris Rock -

White people should be financially held accountable for the actions of their ancestors.

To that end reparations should be paid for the actions of the slavers. And credit paid by white people to all black people for the suffering caused.

As a further condition we will also be held accountable for the inventions of all white people before us. Non Caucasians will pay a subscription fee for the use of ...cars, televisions, microwaves, kfc, alloy rims and well... practically ever fvcking invention in our modern lives.

The numbers will be entered in double column accounts and Mr Rock can forward me my $5000 by end of year for use of my white person patents.

you can skip the envelope fee Chris.

Where did he say that in the article posted? Anyway, you seem like a pretty sketchy person since if we take away your weird point about reperations which you pulled out of thin air, you're saying that if we were to somehow stack up everything white people have invented compared to slavery of black people that the balance tips in our favor, as if thats even something that could be quantified? I think you need to see a doctor. You also more than likely have never read anything about the racism of the US patent office back in the day and or about any of the whopper stuff black people invented (I know you said practically, I dont want to be owned again by some dictionary reading genius) that Id class as VERY important. (No idea how Id get on without the home games console, setting people on fire in GTA after a hard day trying to educate some of you lot ;) )

Also, black slaves working on plantations added extra spices to the fried chicken previously eaten in the southern states of America which derived from scotish cuisine, effectively inventing the style of food sold st KFC, which is a company. You found a company, not invent it, you absolute wally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I thought the Klan was 50% Government agents/informants?

Advertisement