Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Rock: "White people need to own the actions of their ancestors"

Options
  • 25-12-2014 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,935 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.inquisitr.com/1647511/chris-rock-on-white-people-they-must-own-the-actions-of-their-racist-ancestors/

So I came across this because a family member made - colorful, vitriolic comments - in response to it, that they felt appropriate at 2 in the morning to post via facebook. Bourbon, most certainly. Either way I found their comments really vulgar and it bothered me a lot.

But it did get me thinking. Basically in Chris Rock's comments, he wants white people to take responsibility for the actions of their ancestors.

It's easy for Chris Rock and anyone else to see this distinction between white and black. Lets also throw east-asians, hispanics, and native americans into this mix. Because of strong genetic markers, some people can track ancestry better than others. But not so much caucasians, which make up vast swaths of Europe and North America. Anyway, it got me to think about who my ancestors were, and incidentally on my mothers side I'm a descendant of John Wesley of Methodist and Savannah Georgia fame, who was a known abolitionist. And on my father's side, our family lineage is french and french-canadian, and now predominately the name is found in new england and quebec. So in effect, my ancestors had not much ado about what Chris Rock is on about. Chris Rock who, ironically, has a comedy out in theatres with an almost all-black main cast (image). Pot calling the kettle - well, black?

His comments are stirring up plenty of controversy apparently though. The comments section in the link makes for interesting if not occasionally dumb reading. Half of it just boils down to "white people are crazy" and "black people are animals". Sigh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

its a well know fact that the people sold into slavery were sold by black people in Africa. also slavery is still widespread in Africa while most other progressive countries have banned it long ago. really fed up with some of these people digging up the past and imo some black people are more racist but get away with it because they are black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Chris Rock can fukk off. I refuse to carry the white mans burden. It's out and out racist to expect me to take responsibility for the actions of total strangers with whom I share nothing but skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

We were the blacks of Europe etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

It seems quite arbitrary to take responsibility for the actions of those who died before you were even born. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Will Chris Rock also ask for black Africans to take responsibility for the 1 million plus European people sold into slavery in Africa in the 1500 to 1800's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Comedian makes controversial, widely general statement about a touchy topic.
    Standard stuff from some celebs trying to get more publicity for themselves. Usually works to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Hasn't Chris Rock been basing his entire comedy routine for the past 15 years on colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Shabra wrote: »
    It seems quite arbitrary to take responsibility for the actions of those who died before you were even born. Ridiculous.

Unless you are talking about Brits and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Not entirely sure its possible for a black person to be racist to a white person, discriminative/prejudiced maybe, but I think it needs to be part of an overall system of marginalization and oppression to be properly considered an "ism". I read this ages ago in an old housemate's uni book, I cant quite remember a lot of it but it was interesting to read. I cant imagine myself bringing thst point up in an argument anyway, prejudice is wrong whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, I cant say I feel any shame for anything my ancestors did and I have people in my immediate family who have gone to prison for violent crime. I do however feel we should be sensitive to other cultures who have been oppressed in the past, I cant stand how the bindhi from Hinduism has become a fashion statement, was in a curry house near my gaff a while ago and some yungwan was rocking one and getting mad evils off an Indian couple for example. Im no fan of religion but I have to say I empathised with them.

I think this thread is gonna be horrible, Id imagine boards userbase is predominantly white and Id say we'll probably get quite a one sided dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

RWCNT wrote: »
    Not entirely sure its possible for a black person to be racist to a white person,

That would make you an absolute dunce.

• Advertisement

That would make you an absolute dunce.

Naw. Have a google and read a bit. Touchy wouchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why should I? Grand total of family members that were involved in the trans Atlantic slave trade = 0.

Now, if records showed my policeman granduncle happened to clobber black people around on the streets of Detroit in 1920-squat I'd hold my hands up, but otherwise fcuk right off.

Why should I? Grand total of family members that were involved in the trans Atlantic slave trade = 0.

Now, if records showed my policeman granduncle happened to clobber black people around on the streets of Detroit in 1920-squat I'd hold my hands up, but otherwise fcuk right off.

Not saying you should feel any shame, I certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

He's right you know. Plenty of black people in the States hold what I'd consider 'quare' views on evreyone from Jews to Koreans and everyone else intbetween. Often they get a 'pass' from people like yourself because of white liberal guilt or something they misunderstood from a Sociology textbook. Just because they have had geniune historical grievances and are stuck in a cycle of poverty doesn't mean there isn't rabid racists in their community.

The US at the moment is a place where everyone seems to mistrust everyone else. Race relations are at their lowest point since the LA riots (an event that lest we forget, black mobs went to war on Asian immigrant communities, because... you know, Rodney King)

Why would you hold your hands up, you didn't do anything wrong?

It's arbitrary, if a plumber goes on a murderous rampage should all plumbers apologise?

Yurt! wrote: »
    He's right you know. Plenty of black people in the States hold what I'd consider 'quare' views on evreyone from Jews to Koreans and everyone else intbetween. Often they get a 'pass' from people like yourself because of white liberal guilt or something they misunderstood from a Sociology textbook. Just because they have had geniune historical grievances and are stuck in a cycle of poverty doesn't mean there isn't rabid racists in their community.

The US at the moment is a place where everyone seems to mistrust everyone else. Race relations are at their lowest point since the LA riots (an event that lest we forget, black mobs went to war on Asian immigrant communities, because... you know, Rodney King)

I think I remember writing that prejudice in all forms was wrong regardless of what you call it, dont think im giving anyone a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shabra wrote: »
    Why would you hold your hands up, you didn't do anything wrong?

It's arbitrary, if a plumber goes on a murderous rampage should all plumbers apologise?

I wouldn't feel guilt, no. But I would acknowledge it happened all the same if it were so, not try and paper over the cracks and pretend that we were all a sound bunch of lads. Sh*t happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

And everything you read on the internet is correct......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

No still a dunce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Clearly has aspirations to become the Una Mullaly of the race commentary sphere. Now it's slavery and rape that I'm apparently responsible for, what next? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Maybe we should be mad at the british for occupying Ireland for some hundreds of years. Actually feel a bit better living in the present.

viztopia wrote: »
    And everything you read on the internet is correct......

Im reading quite a bit now I think could be incorrect actually, you may have a point there, pal.

I dont really have a concrete opinion anyway, just lovin debate.

I wouldn't feel guilt, no. But I would acknowledge it happened all the same if it were so, not try and paper over the cracks and pretend that we were all a sound bunch of lads. Sh*t happens.

Everyone can acknowledge it happened, but it has nothing to do with people today who did no wrong.

No still a dunce

No, u.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

But why should you? If your policeman uncle did clobber black people for no reason then he was certainly a prick. But you shouldn't take any responsibility for his actions. It's okay to be ashamed of family members but any and all actions taken by them are out of your control.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The white farming minority in Zimbabwe who are suffering as a result of clearly racist policies that Mugabe tries to mask as anti-colonialism aren't actually victims of racist policies?

The notion that discrimination can only come from the majority, or those that hold power, is bonkers. Discrimination is discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

If it wasn't for the white man he would have not become as rich as he is now ..... Whats his issue :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It's weird how Chris rock totally ignores white Europeans have done to each other eg 2 world wars, countless other wars, the Irish famine. This was Europeans just killing Europeans. We could all take his approach and be responsible for our actions. But it will get us no where. Sometimes you have up forgive and forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

He seemed to have changed his tune in less than a month. http://m.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/12/chris-rock-daughters%20

"The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced". He's a seriously clever man who understands race very well. It's a shame to hear shyte like this from him..

• Advertisement

The white farming minority in Zimbabwe who are suffering as a result of clearly racist policies that Mugabe tries to mask as anti-colonialism aren't actually victims of racist policies?

The notion that discrimination can only come from the majority, or those that hold power, is bonkers. Discrimination is discrimination.

I actually made it clear that I believe discrimination = discrimination and that its clearly wrong whatever name you put on it. In the instance you just described that would actually be considered racism under the definition I presented as there is systemstic oppression enforced. When I said "not sure if a black person can be racist to a white person" I meant in a society predominantly governed by white people, apologies for not making that clear.

Im only talking about the definition of racism here, which I feel a dictionary definition is a bit light for. As I say anyway, Im not really arsed one way or another and its more of a side note than anythinb to do with the main topic of the thread

Advertisement