Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bah Humbug! thread

Options
  • 24-12-2014 9:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

Bollix to over-crowded shopping centres.

Bollix to spending too much money.

Bollix to the anti climax of Christmas day every year.

Bollix to the retail industry starting their advertising in early October.

Bollix to "12 pubs of Christmas" gobsh*tes.

Bollix to pubs and clubs at Christmas full stop.

Bollix to the stress of it all.

Bollix to Christmas!

Do you love or loathe it?

Do you love or loathe Christmas? 50 votes

Love it!
    0% 0 votes
    Loathe it!
    100% 50 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Bah Humbug, loathe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't care about it. I'd rather ignore it. But the little one loves it, so we're celebrating christmas :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Watching the Mrs Brown movie.

Balls

I'm that far through I'm not even sure if this is the right thread

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Yaaayyyyyy!!!!

I LOVE this thread :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd gladly spend the day pigging out in front of the telly in the boxers. Sadly the family seem to enjoy the day so for the sake of a quiet life the fake smile/grimace is slapped on I just get on with the bloody charade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I don't loathe Christmas but I don't love it either. A lot of people are really fake around Christmas for example. When I came home from college for Christmas I headed out locally and people were all over me...as in flies on sh*t. But in about three weeks time I'll be lucky to get a hello off the same people. It's grand being nice and happy for Christmas but some long term consistency would be great, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

Watching the Mrs Brown movie.

Balls

Hopefully with a litre of vodka to make it funny? ;)

Dep! wrote: »
    Hopefully with a litre of vodka to make it funny? ;)
    Na, I'm actually skiving off work for an hour or two so not able to drink yet.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Na, I'm actually skiving off work for an hour or two so not able to drink yet.:(

I can't have a drink until midday tomorrow. I'm gagging for one now, but see tomorrow afternoon? Won't even want one I bet :rolleyes:

Sauve wrote: »
    I can't have a drink until midday tomorrow. I'm gagging for one now, but see tomorrow afternoon? Won't even want one I bet :rolleyes:
    I don't have that problem, I'm always gagging for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

**** off. Christmas is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I woke up at 7 this morning hungover. Went to subway and got 2 foot long sandwiches, ate both of them in the car and then went to the shopping center with ranch dressing in my beard.

I love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Bollix! Bollix! Bollix!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a good spirit about for a few weeks,otherwise it's a feeding frenzy of madness.

And is it just me or are kids not happy unless they're getting iPhone level presents these days?

Bollix to that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A lot of people are really fake around Christmas for example.

I often think us Irish have such fakery down to a fine art and it's one of the reasons I haven't gone out on New Year's eve in years. Don't shake my hand and try to hug me you two faced b@stard. I can't stand that superficial, meaningless bullshít.

I often think us Irish have such fakery down to a fine art and it's one of the reasons I haven't gone out on New Year's eve in years. Don't shake my hand and try to hug me you two faced b@stard. I can't stand that superficial, meaningless bullshít.

One of the things I think that isnt bollix is that its always easier to rebuild bridges or mend friendships on Christmas Eve or Christmas day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jaysus Corvus someone must have betrayed you badly. Insincere is one thing but two faced?

Personally I'm a fan of it, I get to go home, good bit of time off, spend time with the family and with friends I don't get to meet as often as I'd like. Not a fan of the shopping, but the few pints before dinner after the shopping is done is as good as anything I'll do all year. Usually later at night once the parents are gone to bed there'll be a decent late movie and nothing to do all day only have a few pints. Much prefer when there's some American football on late in the night but this year we're out of luck. Grand time of year. But sure like yourself, I'll be glad when it's all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What really gets me is the stupid Christmas jumpers and the more stupid 12 pubs.

F*cking morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jaysus Corvus someone must have betrayed you badly. Insincere is one thing but two faced?

No, not at all. But I seen a lot of two faced insincerity displayed towards some friends in the past. Thankfully, I've always had a strong bullshítometer & low tolerance of it, which always helped me avoid it. But New Year's Eve in particular, is a time I don't want some gobshyte giving me a limp handshake & hug. So if I'm not working on that night, I'll probably be over at a close mates house or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you have young children it brings back some of the magic about Christmas, where you enjoy their innocence and excitement.
    Otherwise its an overblown, anti-climatic, stress-fest, with retailers doing their best to get your money out of your pocket only to insult you a week or so later by selling the same stuff for nearly half the price.

Christmas is alright but the most enjoyable aspect (the food) is spoiled by its side effects (fatness and indigestion). I don't get as Christmassy as I used to anymore. I hope the first time I have a love life at Christmas (two previous relationships both ended in second week of December, right before my birthday for good measure!) I might get my festive spirit back.

Also loud, hyper, annoying kids ruin it. Now that I'm grown up I've decided that Christmas should only be for adults, and that childen should be neither seen nor heard. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't hate Christmas, I just hate spending it with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Since it is a BAH HUMBUG thread.....

Yeah, Christmas is for kids. That makes it fun, but if they are not your own, after an hour I want to kill them.

But anyway, in the spirit of bah humbugness, I do not like Christmas. It is so false. Everyone hugging everyone, as if! Feck off, you never hugged me all year ya manker.

And I have a great solution.

We went away for ten days came back on 22nd December. Got all the feckin "stuff" before, and sailed through it. Weather was fab, and it is something I will do again.

So tomorrow is a day for meeting and greeting. That's absolutely fine and we will have a nice day. It's the run up, and the frenzy, and the musak, and the falsity that really grinds my gears.

Happy Christmas anyway. It will all be over in a number of hours anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

so boring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

26 hours to go. Being realistic 48 hours to get us past Stephens Day. Then we can look forward to watching the Christmas bunnies being broke. I love a good Monday in mid-January, few pints, papers down the pub, maybe a little holiday in the sun for a few days. All the while thinking of the little broke bunnies. With their bargains that they never actually wanted, a houseful of cold turkey and their realisation that the next time daddy Society gives them permission to get pissed is three months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rough scenes where I live tonight, word has got back to me that a man was chinned in my local pub. Gardai were called and one individual presumably the perpetrator was put under arrest. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Rough scenes where I live tonight, word has got back to me that a man was chinned in my local pub. Gardai were called and one individual presumably the perpetrator was put under arrest. :eek:

Chinned ?

Is Bruce Forsyth back on the gargle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Chinned ?

Ha ha ha ha ha!

• Advertisement

Chinned ?

I walked past a man in Boots in Limerick last week who was the spitting image of Bruce Forsyth. I did a double take and am still not entirely convinced that it wasn't him....

.....this has nothing to do with the thread as such but I figured here was as good a place as any to share that fascinating anecdote with the world.

Advertisement