Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy your nieces and nephews presents?

Options
  • 24-12-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Well, do you?

I never got into that whole thing, there are too many of them. The problem is at what point do you stop doing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have the opposite problem, there aren't enough of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I understand not doing it for a million of them, but yeah I do, only have 3 so not too bad. They're the only people I do buy for. Besides my boyfriend. Dunno how people get into buying presents for all the adults they know. Ridiculous money to spend and pressure to put yourself under

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Buy for nieces and nephews my kids, wife, mam and dad. That's it. Brothers, sisters' inlaws etc can go shyte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

What I'd like to know is do any of thrm, as adults, return gifts or buy you any?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I just wait for my chance when their parents don't notice to shake their hand with a 20 in hand and tell them, "Shut your hole now, shut your hole" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I imagine when I'm older I will as I only have the one sibling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes, for my little and only niece

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don't have any but I do buy for my aunts two young children. Got them FIFA for the PS3 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I don't have any, but if I did, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Nieces & nephews no problem, a member of my own family not only does this, but buys presents for all their nieces & nephews kids, and they've been popping them out these past number of years at some rate.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have one niece and she's five months old, so I had to treat her this Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I only have two so yes, and they're too darn cute not to.

When I was small my parents, aunts and uncles used to buy presents for all the cousins but we got to 10 and that was the end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I buy for my nieces and nephews and do a kris kindle between the adults. Its a nice balance everyone gets one big present and everyones happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

omen80 wrote: »
    Well, do you?

I never got into that whole thing, there are too many of them. The problem is at what point do you stop doing it.

Yes. My brother and his wife have six children ranging in age from from 7 years to 3 months and I have upstairs a wrapped gift for each of them. I like giving gifts. It's nice to pick out something for someone, shows you're interested in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I have one niece and she's five months old, so I had to treat her this Christmas :)

Same here. This year is the first that I'm an Aunt so got something small for baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Yes. My brother and his wife have six children ranging in age from from 7 years to 3 months.

Christ, tell them to get a new hobby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Is it normal to buy gifts for people and for them to never return the favour? Adults now, not kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mazdaminx

eternal wrote: »
    Is it normal to buy gifts for people and for them to never return the favour? Adults now, not kids.

Better get none than one that's obviously a regift. I only buy for people who deserve one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

No I don't buy for my nieces and nephews. I have 7 of them, ranging from 20 years old to 2 years old. I am 26 years old myself and just can't afford to buy for everyone. Plus the older nieces don't buy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I buy for my nieces but not for my sisters anymore. No point in spending money on a person in their 30's/40's when the kiddies get such a laugh out of the prezzies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Same here. This year is the first that I'm an Aunt so got something small for baby.

Same here, and ive only just met her because I live abroad so naturally I've gone mental with the present buying.

I've only got three, and I'd buy them the sun, the moon, and the stars if I could. When they're older I'll probably give them money, but for now I like buying them books or toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

If I had any I would! I've a small family and my husband has no siblings so we're counting on my brother to procreate.

My little boy only has my brother and no other aunts or uncles but his godmother is very good to him :) some people have loads of nieces and nephews which must get expensive fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

10 nephews and niece (so far), only buy for my god daughter but get somethings decent. Starting saving for the 18ths (one is only 3 years away!) hoping to give each a decent chunk of cash for college (unbeknownst to the parents).

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I have 18. Get them all presents, well, amazon does.

Ring siblings, find out what they are into and then buy them something completely different :p. I think it's a good way to expose them to something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

Yes, 9 in total. But my offspring gets tonnes of goodies throughout the year ( including great hand me down)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I have 8 in total and always buy for them, three are in Oz, so they get money so just 5 pressies to wrap. I want to be the favourite aunt, have to put the effort in.

I only have two (one nephew, one niece) so I do get them stuff. None of my aunts or uncles ever me or my siblings anything though, so I'm definitely being shortchanged. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I do buy for my nieces and nephews. there's not many. Two children by each of my brothers and sister so that makes six so that's grand :)
    I've no children so there's no presents returned, except from my sister.

Advertisement