Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students in the city have zero respect

Options
  • 23-12-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭

Im sick and tired of these idiots having no respect for property and people in the area. I live on barrack st and its a jungle on Thursdays nights outside. Friday, Saturday, Sunday there isn't a peep of trouble.

Screaming at the top of there voices for hours, pissing on our steps, vomiting on our steps, leaving cans, bottles and glasses in front of our gate and doors, tagging our houses. One piece of **** even thought it was a good idea to urinate into my neighbours letterbox.

Just last night I came home from my shopping and there was a group outside my window on the walkway steps huddled around a fire log. I mean these brainboxes thought it was a good idea to light a fire outside someone's home. I lost the rag, confronted them and there was a scuffle.

Is anyone else in the surrounding areas having trouble too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

UCC students, to be specific. That's what happens when you lower the points standards, you let any old idiot in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Apart from contacting the AGS on this, would it be an idea to raise it with the Student Union's representatives as they would not like to see their members being tarred by the actions of such an irresponsible minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Saipanne wrote: »
    UCC students, to be specific. That's what happens when you lower the points standards, you let any old idiot in.

Yes ucc students to be specific. I'm 27 with a young family I'd have no fear of these people and regularly confront them but elderly residents must be terrified of these clowns gathering outside there homes.

The union doesn't give a toss too busy protesting fees and library opening hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Generally I find CIT students to be the more obnoxious. Mostly because the likes of Construction Studies attracts rural types on low points and they go absolutely wild with the freedom of living in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gimmick wrote: »
    Generally I find CIT students to be the more obnoxious. Mostly because the likes of Construction Studies attracts rural types on low points and they go absolutely wild with the freedom of living in the city.

really? way to make a sweeping generalisation based on an outdated stereotype thats insulting to both people from rural areas and people doing a certain type of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not sure how outdated it is really. I think the CIT and its like is a great example of why free education should be abolished. Its just for people who are not really cut out for the educational paths to have a few years free time having fun before emmigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Not sure how outdated it is really. I think the CIT and its like is a great example of why free education should be abolished. Its just for people who are not really cut out for the educational paths to have a few years free time having fun before emmigrating.

Way out of order Gimmick & I'm surprised at you.

Just for the record, my nephew is both from a rural area and didnt have great points, but he got into CIT and is working his socks off & fair play to him too.

There are elements of bad in all streams of education - just ask the two UCC guys who decided it was funny to pour paint over my car two nights ago - fortunately there was CCTV.

Don't generalise - this thread was about student noise that the OP was sufferering, not an excuse to knock CIT students.

Either keep it on track of I'll close it and people will lose their access to the Cork thread for the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brandon F

Wow! So many things wrong with this post. Barracks street is an absolute disgrace though. Especially at this time of year. Don't UCC have a 'Student Patrol' for the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

rob316 wrote: »

Just last night I came home from my shopping and there was a group outside my window on the walkway steps huddled around a fire log. I mean these brainboxes thought it was a good idea to light a fire outside someone's home. I lost the rag, confronted them and there was a scuffle.

are you sure they are students? ^ this quote alone would leave me to believe you are having trouble with a few different groups? e.g noise from students, groups of local teens hanging around....etc

why would students with student accommodation be hanging around outside rather than in a friends place, or a garden?

the above sounds more like local teenagers avoiding mammy or daddy by hanging around in walkways lighting firelogs to stay warm.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    are you sure they are students? ^ this quote alone would leave me to believe you are having trouble with a few different groups? e.g noise from students, groups of local teens hanging around....etc

why would students with student accommodation be hanging around outside rather than in a friends place, or a garden?

the above sounds more like local teenagers avoiding mammy or daddy by hanging around in walkways lighting firelogs to stay warm.

You really couldn't be further from the truth.

They are students dressed up on the way downtown. I've lived in the area for years I know the difference between scumbag teenagers and drunken students.

The trouble is isolated to Thursday nights and the aftermath Friday morning. I have also asked in confrontations where do ye go to college 99% of the time it's ucc.

So yes they are ucc morons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

rob316 wrote: »
    I have also asked in confrontations where do ye go to college 99% of the time it's ucc.

So yes they are ucc morons.

again with all due respect if they are as much trouble as you are making out they are hardly going to be honest about where they go to college/school when asked.

they probably say "Ucc" because it's nearby not because they actually go to UCC.

and calling them Ucc morons undermines your entire post, as you are calling the 5k+ population of Ucc students morons based on the actions of what is probably local teens causing trouble and lying to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In fairness it does seem to make no sense for college students to be hanging around on the street. They have houses to do that in as hoodwinked points out. I know we never did it or saw anyone else doing it when I went there. Although that was 20 years ago in fairness :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

'Young people' who are at the stage of their lives where they go out and get drunk at any opportunity and happen to be in college would also do!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    again with all due respect if they are as much trouble as you are making out they are hardly going to be honest about where they go to college/school when asked.

they probably say "Ucc" because it's nearby not because they actually go to UCC.

and calling them Ucc morons undermines your entire post, as you are calling the 5k+ population of Ucc students morons based on the actions of what is probably local teens causing trouble and lying to you.

It's not locally teenagers. Do you live in the area or what? Because if you don't with all due respect you don't know what you are talking about.

It's Thursday nights the known student night. They are students it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

In the summer there isn't an ounce of trouble.

My wife goes to ucc so no they aren't all morons just the **** head minority who show me and my neighbours zero respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

'Some' students would be a fairer discription.
    Not right to label all of them.

Yes some of them get drunk, thanks to cheap booze night, and theur behaviour should be reported to the college.
    Tbh though i dont see anything changing. There are students out there who seem to think its a prerequisite of student life to gettl drunk and behave in an anti social way.

Not fair either to label all cit students as rural. They're not.
    If you have problems in your neighbourhood, and i do accept that the behaviour described is upsetting, then make an official complaint to the college.

It may carry more weight if a residents association/ local politician got involved too.

I have emailed the students union president of both ucc and cit about the issue. I have also invited them to go on air with me on Neil prendeville to discuss the issue. Hopefully other residents will speak out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Its probably the city thickos who momma and poppa put through pres or christians, who then rote learned the leaving cert to get enough points for Arts.They still live at home with momma and poppa but go out on student night so have to hang around on the street on their one night of freedom a week. Its thems the culprits I tell you. Not the culchies in CIT. There is culchies in UCC too, they just havent come out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There is so much wrong with this post its not even funny, this really is Troll level stuff.

CIT offers a broad range of courses to suit industry needs and demands, the likes of EMC, PM Group, ARUP, Musgrave Group, Stryker, Boston Scientific .....etc actively seek out students from CIT every year. CIT with regards to engineering and science is competing on the world stage at competitions and for research funding.

To be honest it sounds like you are bitter due to a bad experience and now the whole college has been tarred as one by you. I have had just as many bad experiences dealing with UCC students as CIT students, good leaving cert points doesnt make people better.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭towelly

Given the area in which this stuff is happening, it's most likely that the fools pissing into letterboxes are the pride of UCC.

My classmates and I in CIT were putting in an absolute minimum of 40 hours a week for 4 years of college, most of us walked into jobs paying €30k+ despite graduating in the middle of the recession, and many of us have had offers to study at postgraduate level (typically MEng and MBA degrees) at some of the top universities in the world. UCC don't offer our course, which is a core course offered by any decent faculty of Engineering.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Its probably the city thickos who momma and poppa put through pres or christians, who then rote learned the leaving cert to get enough points for Arts.They still live at home with momma and poppa but go out on student night so have to hang around on the street on their one night of freedom a week. Its thems the culprits I tell you. Not the culchies in CIT. There is culchies in UCC too, they just havent come out yet.

Banned till after Christmas - any more this college versus that college or culchy terminology and feel free to join them

• Advertisement

towelly wrote: »
    Given the area in which this stuff is happening, it's most likely that the fools pissing into letterboxes are the pride of UCC.

Banned till after Christmas as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

bit harsh banning towelly, all he said was because of the location where the op is living he is right any disturbances would more than likely be from ucc students living near the college,

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

OP, UCC exams finished on Friday, most finished earlier, almost all the students have gone home, and the place has been like a ghost town since Thursday last. So are you sure they were local UCC students, or even students at all?

By the way, I'm not doubting that you'd have disturbance from students during term time around that area (I live nearby myself) but it's been really quiet for the past few days. Personally I found it a lot quieter this year, possibly due to semesterisation at UCC with exams before Christmas.

bit harsh banning towelly, all he said was because of the location where the op is living he is right any disturbances would more than likely be from ucc students living near the college,

Please don't Backseat moderate the mods - our job is voluntary and to be honest the last thing I want is a pile of reported threads (5 today's on this alone today), I mod as I see.

whilst I have sympathy with his second paragraph, his first was inflamatory and against my earlier post. Ive spoken to him since and all is well.

Do you have an opinion to voice on this thread or just on the moderation ?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I agree,pretty harsh.

I agree,pretty harsh.

Given my post immediately before this and given boards rules on backseat moderation, how exactly does your post qualify for 'on topic'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Andip wrote: »
    Given my post immediately before this and given boards rules on backseat moderation, how exactly does your post qualify for 'on topic'

I agree, overly harsh

After 13 years I've been reported for unfair modding - first time for everything but if my post #8 isn't clear then feel free to pm me direct. This is a lively justified topic that I've tried to keep open - I just don't want people to generalise against colleges.

Incidentally neither of the guys who were temporarily banned until Stephens day reported. .. Just to make that clear - I'm on Santa's naughty list now (: please send presents

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Andip wrote: »
    I'm on Santa's naughty list now (: please send presents
    Santa is a culchie. Before I earn a ban for saying so let me point out that he's not from Dublin, and is therefore, by definition, a culchie. :pac:

Happy Xmas. Who'd be a mod.... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I lived on Barrack street for years. Right in the middle of 4 pubs. Trust me, the A-holes on a thursday night are UCC students. Mostly passing down from their student accomodation into the clubs around 11pm.

Bins kicked over (bins full of recycling glass), wing mirrors kicked off and other assorted car damage, banging on doors and ringing intercoms and doorbells, shouting and roaring like goddamn cavemen, puking and pissing in doorways. And all this again from 1.30 to about 4 when they all staggered home.

That was thursdays, the biggest college night of the week.

Not a bother any other night unless it was rag week or freshers week. Then this crap went on for 7 nights.

Of course not all UCC students got up to this but a hell of a lot of them did and do.

This time of year on Barrack street the students are gone home but now you have the 12 pubs, christmas jumper **** up to the same ****3.

Advertisement