Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorry Crash in Glasgow City Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thoughts are with the families of the dead. You have to feel for the driver too, sounds like he may have had a heart attack, awful to have that on your conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Turned on sky and promptly turned off again. For goodness sake asking anyone dumb enough to answer what they seen, and the more gruesome the better. A woman mentioned a buggy and you could practically hear him salivating at the thought children were injured or worse.

Went online to see the coverage, they're using videos from folk hanging around the scene, disgusting. Caught myself before I played the video, decided against it and moved on. They really are bottom feeders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

razorblunt wrote: »
    Went online to see the coverage, they're using videos from folk hanging around the scene, disgusting. Caught myself before I played the video, decided against it and moved on. They really are bottom feeders

It's awful I saw someone flick through pictures on their phone of the incident to the camera, why would you want to capture something so distressing on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Turned on sky and promptly turned off again. For goodness sake asking anyone dumb enough to answer what they seen, and the more gruesome the better. A woman mentioned a buggy and you could practically hear him salivating at the thought children were injured or worse.
    Sickening, trying to get eyewitnesses to recount the sights they had seen. Gutter journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My thoughts are with the family and friends of those killed and injuried.

I hate the why news stations like Sky report on these incidents. The reporters seem to only care about the story and don't seem to care about the people involved or their families. It sometimes seems that they feel that the higher the death toll, the more dramatic the story and utimately the bigger the tv audience rather than caring about the people who have sadly lost their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Sad, just all round sad. Horrible day for Glasgow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nicola Sturgeon has tweeted: "If you are in city centre, you will be helping emergency services by making contact with relatives to tell them you are ok"

Good idea - they must be inundated with calls from worried people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

People have just died or are dying right now because of this, bit of decorum and respect is the very basic that should offered.

Pathetic how a small minority will always stoop so low, desperate for us to click on the thanks button.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

This is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Myself and the Missis were there just this morning, terrible news. One never knows the time or place it can all go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

No doubt this will be interpreted as an Islamic terrorist plot.

Well it looks like Allah might have something to do with an incident in France this evening with a chilling semblance of what happened in in Glasgow today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/22/nantes-christmas-market-attack_n_6368094.html

Words fail me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this is turning into a dreary xmas....

the siege in sydney, the massacre in pakistan, the double killing in co clare, mass murder in Cairns......and now this, what next??

RIP to all those who died over the past number of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Well it looks like Allah might have something to do with an incident in France this evening

But the thing is, Allah had nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

I doubt very much there was anything deliberate about this.

If there was malicious intent I reckon the driver would have tried to take out that corner pillar at the entrance to Queen Street Station or rammed into the glass covered terrace at the front of the Millennium Hotel. Both actions would have resulted in potentially far greater damage and loss of life.

Looking at the pictures I think it could have been a lot worse although obviously that is no consolation to anyone right now.

Think the driver will still have some tough questions to answer...the crash happened almost at the same location where a bin lorry crash was staged 3 years ago for the opening scene of the movie "World War Z".

When I first heard the news , I though some nutter had tried to re-enact the scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

fryup wrote: »
    this is turning into a dreary xmas....

the siege in sydney, the massacre in pakistan, the double killing in co clare, mass murder in Cairns......and now this, what next??

RIP to all those who died over the past number of days

Clarke Carlisle jumped off a bridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

that's a very trashy comment...

No, it's an absolute asshole comment & your as every bit of a stupid asshole as the other asshole. 6 innocent people are dead you brain dead morons.

R.I.P what a horrible tragedy 96 hours before Christmas day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Tugboats wrote: »
    He was hit by a lorry.

Nib wrote: »
    He was hit by a lorry.

After jumping from the bridge

THall04 wrote: »
    Think the driver will still have some tough questions to answer...the crash happened almost exactly at the same location where a bin lorry crash was staged 3 years ago for the opening scene of the movie "World War Z".

When I first heard the news , I though some nutter had tried to re-enact the scene.

was just reading about that, freaky stuff

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

blueser wrote: »
    Sickening, trying to get eyewitnesses to recount the sights they had seen. Gutter journalism.

Unfortunately people are magnetically drawn to this kind of horror the same way as they are drawn to dreadful news anywhere and newspapers/visual media coordinators know this.

You or I are no different. We can't look away. We would never be able to not look at someone else's suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Egginacup wrote: »
    Unfortunately people are magnetically drawn to this kind of horror the same way as they are drawn to dreadful news anywhere and newspapers/visual media coordinators know this.

You or I are no different. We can't look away. We would never be able to not look at someone else's suffering.

Saw a fella jump in front of a tube train a few years back - while I had a morbid curiosity to stay around and observe the outcome, 90% of the people on the platform looked at their watches and headed off to find alternate transport.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Tugboats wrote: »

Would you have source for that. I'm only swing he was hit by truck. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Turned on sky and promptly turned off again.

I list Sky under the Works Of Fiction category, always best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Heard from a mate that 3 generations of a family from Dumbarton were in Glasgow shopping and the Grandparents and 17 year old Granddaughter were hit and are among the dead, the mother managed to get away. God help her

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VeryOwl

In Ireland at the moment, but horrible to hear about this. I walk past there nearly everyday, you wouldn't even imagine something like that. Hope the injured recover. What a tragedy.

Heard from a mate that 3 generations of a family from Dumbarton were in Glasgow shopping and the Grandparents and 17 year old Granddaughter were hit and are among the dead, the mother managed to get away. God help her

jesus thats horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Had a great time tonight. Now read this. So sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Had a great time tonight. Now read this. So sad.

Advertisement