Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorry Crash in Glasgow City Centre

Options
  • 22-12-2014 4:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭

Awful sad news. Speculation that the driver of the bin lorry may have had a heart attack.

Sky News reporting at least six fatalities and injuries in double figures.

Thoughts with the families of those who died.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just read about this. Bloody hell. What a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Sad at any time, but even worse at Christmas.

Such a tragedy. It's just over a year since the helicopter crashed into a pub in Glasgow.

Thoughts are with the families killed and those who have been injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

First thoughts are that this is like that bus crash on the quays in dublin a couple of years back, awful stuff.

Right before christmas too... RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

DrumSteve wrote: »
    First thoughts are that this is like that bus crash on the quays in dublin a couple of years back, awful stuff.

I thought of Wellington Quay too. Hard to believe that is coming up on 11 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Watching Sky News now, wondering if this may have been deliberate as it travelled quite far up the road and looks to have crashed in an odd manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Awful way to go.

RIP to the victims and condolences to the families.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

what a rubbish way to go:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Tugboats wrote: »

that's a very trashy comment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jesus, I work in an office beside the Copthorne Hotel on George Square. I am off this week for Xmas, terrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No doubt this will be interpreted as an Islamic terrorist plot.

Xenji wrote: »
    Watching Sky News now, wondering if this may have been deliberate as it travelled quite far up the road and looks to have crashed in an odd manner.

I doubt very much there was anything deliberate about this.

If there was malicious intent I reckon the driver would have tried to take out that corner pillar at the entrance to Queen Street Station or rammed into the glass covered terrace at the front of the Millennium Hotel. Both actions would have resulted in potentially far greater damage and loss of life.

Looking at the pictures I think it could have been a lot worse although obviously that is no consolation to anyone right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

that's a very trashy comment...

Come on... There's no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilblankdress2

RIP to those who lost their lives. Thoughts are with those injured and all the families and people affected.... thoughts are also with the front line emergency staff... really sad incident

Come on... There's no need for that.

Agreed. People have just died or are dying right now because of this, bit of decorum and respect is the very basic that should offered.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Folks this is obviously a sensitive thread dealing with a horrible accident, several people dead right before Christmas

Can we keep the cheap jokes out of it please

Use your common sense, otherwise cards and bans will be handed out

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

No doubt this will be interpreted as an Islamic terrorist plot.

Only if Islamic terrorists were behind it. Which I doubt.

Although it wouldn't be the first time Glasgow was attacked by Islamic terrorists so it would be understandable for people to jump to such conclusions in the immediate aftermath of something so out of the ordinary like this happening.

Police just said that the driver is in hospital and it's not being treated as a terrorist or deliberate act,they wouldn't give any more info to the reporters on scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Sky are really struggling to fill the space inbetween more info here

• Advertisement

Jesus, I work in an office beside the Copthorne Hotel on George Square. I am off this week for Xmas, terrible news

All it takes is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Such a sad day :(

zerks wrote: »
    Police just said that the driver is in hospital and it's not being treated as a terrorist or deliberate act,they wouldn't give any more info to the reporters on scene.

The poor guy, if it was a heart attack and couldn't control the truck....he has to live with that. Awful situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Folks this is obviously a sensitive thread dealing with a horrible accident, several people dead right before Christmas

I think its a horrible thing to happen regardless of the month on the calendar.

Then why joke about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Then why the cheap thoughtless gag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Turned on sky and promptly turned off again. For goodness sake asking anyone dumb enough to answer what they seen, and the more gruesome the better. A woman mentioned a buggy and you could practically hear him salivating at the thought children were injured or worse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Turned on sky and promptly turned off again. For goodness sake asking anyone dumb enough to answer what they seen, and the more gruesome the better. A woman mentioned a buggy and you could practically hear him salivating at the thought children were injured or worse.

The lad interviewing people on the street seems particularly callous from what I've heard of him so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Bend over and kiss yer arse goodbye folks. Everything is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Awful, Was just about to grumble about my delayed flight in Edinburgh airport before I read this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

caustic 1 wrote: »

Rolling 24 hour news has a lot to answer for

Advertisement