Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were guaranteed to get away with it Basil?

Options
  • 22-12-2014 2:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭

How far would you delve into criminal, unethical or immoral behaviour if you were absolutely guaranteed to get away with it?

For the purposes of this thread, there is no afterlife. For the purposes of this thread, you do have a conscience, but no matter what you do, it won't be punished (think - the perfect crime!). Edited to add, for the purposes of this thread, children are OFF LIMITS IN THIS DISCUSSION.

Murder, rape, theft, fraud etc. - What would you not do? What would you do?

I'll start, basically, out of the four basics I have listed, I would commit all bar rape, as it would serve me no purpose. The others though, I would do no problem if I needed to (I'd be a bit Robin Hood-ish in my criminality though).

There have been a few people over the years for whom I would have liked to play God....

Also - to clarify - for the purposes of this thread, the normal implications of your actions will apply i.e. your actions will hurt people/institutions/wider community/family etc. Except........ you're untouchable!

So. How much of a conscience have you really?

Ps. - What prompted this thread was a quote in a book attributed to Oscar Wilde. 'Conscience and cowardice are basically the same thing, Basil'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would draw the line at any sexual crime and murder but there are some people in irish society that would get one hell of a hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'd indulge in a little euthanasia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Incest, and lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd just steal a ****-tonne of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Don't mention the war.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I've edited the OP to remove crimes against children from the discussion as that ****e shouldn't really be up for discussion (recent crimes in Pakistan being a prime example). Unfortunately they are some of the most sinister, heinous and common crimes out there, but I want this light-hearted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Sclosages wrote: »
    I would commit all bar rape

You'd rape a whole bar?

You monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'd just steal a ****-tonne of money.

That's the only crime I would commit too ..... unless you were robbing my sh!tload of money ... then I'd kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You could reduce the opening post to ... "If you were a psychopathic atheist with diplomatic immunity what crimes would you commit?"

It looks like I would be a grammar Nazi. :o

diomed wrote: »
    You could reduce the opening post to ... "If you were a psychopathic atheist with diplomatic immunity what crimes would you commit?"

It looks like I would be a grammar Nazi. :o

Or an editor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't depend on the law for my code of ethics so I don't see what would change for me.

The problem with your proposition is that you might have someone who goes ahead with murder and finds that living with it isn't easy. You can have situations where the community allows you to carry out horrible acts but doing those things causes your brain to blue screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

After many years of playing the sims and Grand Theft Auto, and various other games, I've no idea where I'd draw the line.

*evil shifty eyes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

If I could get away with it I'd dig up Dermot Morgan's corpse, put a priest costume on it, drive it to Clare and take a selfie with it outside the parochial house from Father Ted.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't depend on the law for my code of ethics so I don't see what would change for me.

The problem with your proposition is that you might have someone who goes ahead with murder and finds that living with it isn't easy. You can have situations where the community allows you to carry out horrible acts but doing those things causes your brain to blue screen.

I want to see what you would do DESPITE the secondary (non-judiciary) consequences. You're immune from direct personal consquences. Immune from fines, imprisonment etc. But, you will have to carry the guilt (if you feel it). The old niggling conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Remember that French dude from The Matrix sequels? The all powerful and hedonistic guy who had his private army, a sh*t-ton of money and everything he ever wanted? Yeah, that is where I would go. I'd also speak in an exaggerated French accent and have sex with hot women in the toilets of the restaurants I owned.

Would be some life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No major interest in doing any of them although I think I could easily pull a trigger on, for example, people like the jihadis that attacked the school in Pakistan.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I'd indulge in a little euthanasia.

How do you know you wouldn't be the first one to go? Other people have lists as well, you know :D.

As no-one ever told you "When I am king you will be first against the wall" (or something to that effect)? Or is it just me?

Back on topic.

I'd default on a loan. I'd skip the country leaving a trail of financial institutions following me. I'd sell my employer out to earn a fortune by selling their secrets. But, I wouldn't do anything gratuitously - I'd do it for survival so to speak.

I would possibly prostitute myself if it came down to it. Again, if survival was the only thing on my mind.

I would possibly gratuitously gain revenge on people who have seriously f''ked with me (in a life-changing or life-threatening way).

Banks, government? Fraud? Fair game to me. The 'innocent' minute percentage that an individual constitutes in such a grand scale, flies way over the head of my conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

JaseHeath wrote: »
    Remember that French dude from The Matrix sequels? The all powerful and hedonistic guy who had his private army, a sh*t-ton of money and everything he ever wanted? Yeah, that is where I would go. I'd also speak in an exaggerated French accent and have sex with hot women in the toilets of the restaurants I owned.

Would be some life!

If I had that kind of money why would I want to have cheap shags in a toilet cubicle? That is gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

RayCon wrote: »
    That's the only crime I would commit too ..... unless you were robbing my sh!tload of money ... then I'd kill you.
    You might as well just steal a different sh!tload of money instead. I mean you're guaranteed to get away with it, no matter how little effort you put into it, so at that point its hard for me to think of it as rising to that level of annoyance.

Hell I probably wouldn't steal a ton of money, too much effort carrying it around, I just keep stealing as much as I needed whenever I felt the need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I'd punt Twink's dog into the jet engine of a boeing 747.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd indulge in a wee bit O' sheep buggery…

Knasher wrote: »
    Y
    Hell I probably wouldn't steal a ton of money, too much effort carrying it around, I just keep stealing as much as I needed whenever I felt the need.

You wouldn't need to carry it around. Just lodge it in the bank. Hire a concierge to carry your wallet. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I'd murder my neighbour and her dog because that fcvking thing never stops barking. I'd get a massive load of LSD to enjoy, and rob some banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd murder my neighbour and her dog because that fcvking thing never stops barking. I'd get a massive load of LSD to enjoy, and rob some banks.

Give the dog LSD, become best of friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

diomed wrote: »

That doesn't always work out so well....

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Oink wrote: »
    How do you know you wouldn't be the first one to go? Other people have lists as well, you know :D.

As no-one ever told you "When I am king you will be first against the wall" (or something to that effect)? Or is it just me?

I think you misunderstood me. I would help people who are terminally ill, people with chronic unmanageable illness, people with mental illness like ensuing Alzheimer's kill themselves. I'd do it properly, with advice and training from the likes of Dignitas. It's illegal in Ireland now and I could be imprisoned for homicide, but if there were no ramifications for me I wouldn't have a problem committing that crime, in this instance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭costadeldole

Murder.
    Specifically pedophiles and child abusers.
    I have to admit I would get immense pleasure from it.
    I don't agree with forgiveness, rehabilitation, or incarceration for these criminals.
    It should be execution, nothing less.
    If I were granted a licence to kill by the state, I would happily make it my life's work and give it my all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing I don't do already, I live by what I think is right, not what somebody tells me is right. Most laws are for our good. I wouldn't murder or steal or anything because you should think through what you do and come to a decision as to why you do it. If you are not raping, killing and stealing because you are afraid of getting caught then I would think some introspection should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Note that the OP just says that you won't be caught. It doesn't mean that your actions won't have consequences. So if you go around robbing stuff, you're robbing from other people and potentially destroying people's livelihoods.

The only one I can really think of is making billions of dollars defrauding stock market and currency speculators. Because fnck those cvnts. They take money out of economies into private funds and provide absolutely zero value in return.

Advertisement