Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could bring one Irish musician back to life...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

endacl wrote: »
    No. Hanging in there...

I meant his career. Between the drugs and the illnesses he can hardly even sing nowadays. Probably the biggest case of wasted talent in Ireland, Aslan could have made it huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

His record company were on his back to release a chart single, Rory was a bit like Zeppelin, he didn't want to conform and agree with the business orientated squares in management.,

In the end he comprised and stole half a riff From Clapton's Layla and produced this beaut.

His record company were on his back to release a chart single, Rory was a bit like Zeppelin, he didn't want to conform and agree with the business orientated squares in management.,

In the end he comprised and stole half a riff From Clapton's Layla and produced this beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jim Morrison

Sorry too much beer, didn't see the Irish bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

So it seems to be:

Luke Kelly
    Liam Clancy
    Rory Gallagher

Not in that order but they are the most popular.
    I would never have guessed Rory Gallagher to be Ireland's favorite musician! Now to name that darned airport in cork after him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Rory Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

shane mcgowan

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A band I was in did a cover of that song. It always went down really well. I recorded it for my final year project in college too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Paul McGrath.

Some of the stuff he did with Thin Lizzy was fabulous.

Some good solo work too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Garth Brooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Unlikely to re-animate the dead, but I suggest we sacrifice the High Kings in 'Wicker Man' style, just to test the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Rory Gallagher if I could only pick one.

If I could though, I'd bring the whole lot of the dubliners back and add Rory Gallagher on mandolin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Liam Clancy after watching the doc on tg4 last night what a talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Antoine Ó Raifteirí just to see the gobsmacked look of him when he saw modern Ireland. "What're yiz all fecking whinging about," he would say, remembering the last thing he saw before he went blind as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Neil hannon who sang that is alive and well.

ofcork wrote: »
    Neil hannon who sang that is alive and well.

He didnt. It was Ming Hoogan and the Hoogan-Daz :D Sad story. all involved died in a plane crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭purplepanda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Plenty to chose from but Rory Gallagher for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Rory Gallagher, only saw him perform once, at Lone Star café in New York 1985. Great show in small venue

Only connected through his mother but a massive drinker and was of great pride to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It would have to be Tommy Makem and most of his family who were all very gifted musicians and singer/songwriters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

For a gig Who would it be? I would probably pick Gary Moore myself, any footage I have seen on YouTube looks full of emotion and energy.

Damn could he make his ax sing!

Who would you pick and why?

I had the pleasure of seeing Gary in Galway back in 04 or 05 I think it was. He was one of the support acts for Bob Dylan. He was amazing. I would agree with your choice. Also Ray Manzarek from The Doors. An amazingly talented musician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Sorry. Just saw Irish musician. My apologies for The Doors member:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lobitintome

demakinz wrote: »
    Joe Dolan the Westmeath bachelor. ah no Luke Kelly or Gary Moore or Rory Gallagher.....very hard to choose.

What about Harmonica Ger and the Peg men not sure if he s alive or not but he was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McWilliams_%28musician%29

Ireland's forgotten musical genius - David McWilliams -

here singing The Days Of Pearly Spencer:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Phil Lynott

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jimmy Faulkner

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

What about Harmonica Ger and the Peg men not sure if he s alive or not but he was good.

Classically trained I heard.

Advertisement