Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Bohemians

John Delaney in general - by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

What's embarrassing about that is the public refusla to accept that she was on anything at all.

Pure head in the sand stuff alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

The welcome home after the world cup with Joe Duffy onstage

Think it was the Phoenix Park.

Oh yeah. That was everything wrong with Ireland and the Irish in one event.

sugarman wrote: »

Being there alone was an achievement for a nation of our size.

Nonsense.
    sugarman wrote: »
    We got played off the park by the eventual winners, runners up and a very good Croatian side.

.....from Croatia which has the same population as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Irish Free State V Germany in Dalymount park, Dublin.

The German lads do the oul Nazi salute during the anthems and then some of the Irish lads do it aswell for some unknown reason.

With hindsight, its up there with the embarrassment lark.

We won the match!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

_dof_ wrote: »
    but a bit of embarrassment in return for 5 million quid from FIFA, not too shabby

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-fifa-bought-irish-silence-5m-pay-080222869--sow.html

You think he made the 33rd team request solely as a tactic to get paid off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

[qtime te="Dirty Dingus McGee;93533281"]Brilliant.

Is there a video of this anywhere on the internet?[/quote]

I'm not sure...

I remember watching it as a child with my dad on a Sunday evening and watching him slowly shake his head in embarrasment when the cage went down for a second ti (my dad that is, Declan barely batted an eye!)

I'm nearly sure we haven't competed in the event since....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Brilliant.

Is there a video of this anywhere on the internet?

I'm not sure...

I remember watching it as a child with my dad on a Sunday evening and watching him slowly shake his head in embarrasment when the cage went down for a second time (my dad that is, Declan barely batted an eye!)

I'm nearly sure we haven't competed in the event since....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Grandeeod wrote: »

The German lads do the oul Nazi salute during the anthems and then some of the Irish lads do it aswell for some unknown reason.

With hindsight, its up there with the embarrassment lark.

We won the match!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It was the hammer.

Not only did he flatten the cage once, delaying the whole schedule of events, he managed to do it a second time.

Our hero's name was Declan Hegarty.
    Doesn't seem to be a video of it anywhere.

Here's an article from the Indo: http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/a-love-affair-with-a-ball-and-chain-26878672.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Louth fans

Grandeeod wrote: »

!

Because we now - in historical hindsight - associate that with Nazism and the holocaust but that was years before the denouement of Nazism and even 3 years before the outbreak of WWII even if anti-Semitic programs were in full swing in Germany. At that time in history though, the Irish state were presumably just going with the wishes of the guest team.

RTE pundits. Hook Dunphy Giles Spillane Brolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

What's embarrassing about that is the public refusla to accept that she was on anything at all.
    Totally.
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend
    What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Leave Mayo alone. Mayo for SAM 2015!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You think he made the 33rd team request solely as a tactic to get paid off?

Not a chance, and it was cringeworthy at the time, but at least we got something out of it.. which is probably not the case for all the other embarrassments that will appear in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Michelle Smith roiding her way to victory

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

We won, but the manner of the 2-1 victory in San Marino in 2007 was extremely bad. Another Staunton masterclass.

RWC 07 was some mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While it was definitely embarrassing, I'd love to know what people actually expected from EURO 2012. We were in a group with the 2 previous World Champions who then went on to prove themselves as the best in the competition by reaching the final. Then there was Croatia, who would beat us more often than we'd beat them anyway. In comparison, we hadn't even qualified for the previous 5 tournaments.

I'm not saying we should have just been happy to be there, but losing all 3 games was a fairly probable outcome from the very start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I think Mayo have lost enough All Irelands without needing to be given credit for losing one they didn't even play in.
    You're some man, remembering something that never happened. Mayo were not in AIF'83!

oops... Galway. :o Meant to say Galway.

But sure it's an easy mistake to make; Mayo lose every final, don't they?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Bertser wrote: »
    We won, but the manner of the 2-1 victory in San Marino in 2007 was extremely bad. Another Staunton masterclass.

Stan's interview afterwards was comical too. Didn't he say they'd cause other teams problems in the group (and didnt Germany slaughter them 13-0) as well as some bizarre claim about us traditionally not being great in February or some such nonsense.

Felt sorry for Stan but his appointment was one of the few I've ever seen that was completely bereft of common sense and logic. Another bit of Delaney genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jas376

Cork hurlers going on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

The lack of coverage and support given to Eugene Laverty is both an embarrassment and missed opportunity imho.. A man competing truly on the world stage week after week.

Next season he will be flying the tricolour in the Moto GP no less and it will probably get less column inches than this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

'Best fans in the world'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Stevie Staunton's comically oversized solar protection system, USA '94.

When I saw that hat, I just knew we had fcuk all chance that day.

JaseHeath wrote: »
    oops... Galway. :o Meant to say Galway.

But sure it's an easy mistake to make; Mayo lose every final, don't they?! :D

Losing to 12 men was some embarrassment

oh and Mayos AI final record deserves a mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I'm not saying we should have just been happy to be there, but losing all 3 games was a fairly probable outcome from the very start.
    Yep, if there was anything embarrassing about it, it would've been the Irish people expecting anything more. I was pretty disconnected from it so I wouldn't know for sure if people were like that but it definitely seemed like there was some level of surprise to the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Cian O Connor by any length. In his defence though, that was very unreasonable and not entirely his fault. Cian wasn't the only one who was taken out of the running. They were EXTREMELY strict that year. The trace of the drug found in Waterford Crystal was given to the horse months beforehand by a vet as a treatment and would ordinarily not have affected the results. Although the drug was in the system still, it would not have had any effect of the horse. Like I said, the FEI were very very very strict that year and have since apologised and admitted they made a mistake with the strictness of the drug testing.

I'm not sure it was as innocent as all that in fairness. Whoever stole or misplaced the B urine sample really hit a career / lifetime low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The hooligans at the Ireland v Northern Ireland match in early 1995

Advertisement