Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LADBROKES ARE A JOKE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    I can tell you from experience that is not the case at all. I'm a cashier in a bookies, how you explained it there is the way I process late bets, I check them to see if they are on time (it's easy to do this, and takes a second). If it is late, most of the time you get 'Ah its jus a few bleedin seconds' or 'That's cos your bleedin too slow puttin it thru'.

Basically what I'm trying to say are punters who bet in and around the off aren't usually shrewd punters looking for an edge, they are messers for lack of a better term.

As for pocketing sleepers, I have never done that nor know anyone who has.
    So what becomes of the sleepers?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

UrbanFret wrote: »
    So what becomes of the sleepers?

Unclaimed void bets remain in the system until such a time as the punter claims the bet.

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    Unclaimed void bets remain in the system until such a time as the punter claims the bet.
    He's not likely to claim it though is he? if
    (A) his selection lost
    (B) he doesn't know the bet is void.

I think people are getting slightly confused here I'm not accusing anyone of anything I'm curious to know what becomes of these "sleepers"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

(A) his selection lost

I think people are getting slightly confused here I'm not accusing anyone of anything I'm curious to know what becomes of these "sleepers"

"Sleepers" sit ready for payout for eternity I suppose?

Is there a set time period when they would just be made losers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Ladbrokes show more shyte than any other bookmakers, cartoon dogs , cats or whatever.
    Not a chance of anyone knowing if the race is off , half of them put odds up and then dont show the race.
    30% over-round on any ive bothered to check.
    these tend to be the main in late bets as they are so frequent and have no margin.
    I agree with the OP , he might have his bet up 10 seconds before the off but by the time the antiquated Ladbrokes hardware stutters and scans the docket and the total put in then its likely the bet will be late.

What happens next is that the horse wont show on the "ladder" so it will be known as late but management insist you arent to tell a customer his bet is late and offer a refund.

Horse usually loses , the cashier/manager etc cannot take the money , its something security check constantly, know of several mangers sacked for this. Its risk free money for Ladbrokes

Horse wins , the shop has a set discretionary figure for the day. So a regular with a £10 win and 1 sec late will get paid.

Bet over £100 , no chance as it would put the shop over.

This creates that unique Ladbrokes "buzz" , clients who know they are being shafted by a nasty company and no other alternative in the area.

I get the argument over some "advantage" of a race being off , must be a real living to be made having £20 on the 2nd co 3 seconds after the off , im sure Ladrokes would go bankrupt.

The reality is that these are regular customers who the staff know and trust , they arent taking advantage , just sometimes a bet is late and Ladbrokes then use their "discretion" so yes they really do make it up as they go along.

Hateful company , i know loads work for them and despise them

• Advertisement

Ladbrokes own every shop in Enniskillen which has a population of approx 14000. A monopoly is never good for the punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

coopdog85 wrote: »
    More often than not there's a queue of dockets backed up in the system. Chances are the late docket won't have been translated by the time the customer comes up to collect his winning docket. When the customer hands in his docket it is translated on the spot by the cashier. This is when the bet shows up as late.

Bloody hell - I've been gambling for 40 years and didn't even know this existed!! I knew it happened on virtual racing (clock counts down and any bets after zero are void) but are you telling me that Ladbrokes (and presumably other bookies) can take a bet from a punter, give them an official Ladbrokes docket but refuse to pay them if the bet wins on the basis that the bet was made "after time"??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

(A) his selection lost

They never 'expire' so just sit there. Id imagine the figure just floats around on a spreadsheet somewhere along with all other unclaimed winners.

I doubt they declare it as profit and just carry over the amount to the next year.

I know the national lottery used to publish the amount of unclaimed prizes every year (was usually between 100-500k) but that was only because all lottery products expire after 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Bloody hell - I've been gambling for 40 years and didn't even know this existed!! I knew it happened on virtual racing (clock counts down and any bets after zero are void) but are you telling me that Ladbrokes (and presumably other bookies) can take a bet from a punter, give them an official Ladbrokes docket but refuse to pay them if the bet wins on the basis that the bet was made "after time"??

Cashiers are only human and can make mistakes, they can never be sure of what is the *exact* cut off point in a race after the off.

But cashiers are only far too aware of this because they know they're leaving themselves open to massive grief from some cretin backing minimal stakes (and it's always the guy putting on a paltry bet that comes sprinting up to the counter after the off).

In an ideal world the cashier would be able to analyse what time the race was meant to go off at and what time it actually went off at (and I always did this when I could) but the reality is that in a busy shop on a Saturday afternoon, it's less likely they are going to do that.

It's just a massive pain for everyone (and definitely not worth scamming someone for sake of a poxy 5er or tenner), and I was delighted recently when I noticed that staff were able to hand out warnings to such muppets, possibly leading to getting barred if they don't learn. We weren't able to do that when I was a cashier. I was also chuffed to see that there's much less tolerance for abusive customers and that it's much easier to bar someone (as opposed to when I was there a customer basically had to assault you before you could bar them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Cashiers are only human and can make mistakes, they can never be sure of what is the *exact* cut off point in a race after the off.

But cashiers are only far too aware of this because they know they're leaving themselves open to massive grief from some cretin backing minimal stakes (and it's always the guy putting on a paltry bet that comes sprinting up to the counter after the off).

In an ideal world the cashier would be able to analyse what time the race was meant to go off at and what time it actually went off at (and I always did this when I could) but the reality is that in a busy shop on a Saturday afternoon, it's less likely they are going to do that.

It's just a massive pain for everyone (and definitely not worth scamming someone for sake of a poxy 5er or tenner), and I was delighted recently when I noticed that staff were able to hand out warnings to such muppets, possibly leading to getting barred if they don't learn. We weren't able to do that when I was a cashier. I was also chuffed to see that there's much less tolerance for abusive customers and that it's much easier to bar someone (as opposed to when I was there a customer basically had to assault you before you could bar them).

l once saw a guy try to pull a tv screen off a wall after losing a bet. Absolute feral beasts in bookies shops.

• Advertisement

All change nowadays.
    different customer with the FOBT
    they smash them up regular.
    Manager will bar them but be told they are allowed back in by senior management.

I dont think people understand how much cash is put into a FOBT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hopefully FOBTs are never legalised in Irish bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭pudzy

Here's my problem with all of this. ladbrokes wiil take the bet, put it through and give you your docket. It's only when you go to collect they tell you if it's late. Now what bothers me is if your horse loses and you throw your ticket in the bin do they lift it and refund the bet to themselves ?:eek:

well fair play,, at lest you understand me m8.... thats exactley my point ... maybe i didnt come across it right,, but long and short about it,, thhis is what i mean,,,, joke tell you i wont be in ladbrokes again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Gregk961 wrote: »
    They never 'expire' so just sit there. Id imagine the figure just floats around on a spreadsheet somewhere along with all other unclaimed winners.

I doubt they declare it as profit and just carry over the amount to the next year.

I know the national lottery used to publish the amount of unclaimed prizes every year (was usually between 100-500k) but that was only because all lottery products expire after 6 months.

I can tell you the rules of Stanley Racing, now William Hill, circa 1999.

As Manager you were NOT allowed to inform a punter if, for any reason including void, non runners or amended result, that they had money to collect.

It was deemed a serious offence to do so.

Bookies were legally obliged to still pay out on a docket for a 7 year period if I remember correctly.

After that time they could legally claim the money. They could also collect interest on that money for that period of time whole it was sitting in their account and not yours.

Now think of how much money a company like Ladbrokes would be carrying nationally as sleeper bets. All those unclaimed 15p-90p lucky 15 returns that people don't bother collecting.

Biggest unclaimed amount I know of was £500 on a placepot that had a NR or amended result.

Any manager who allows the company to manipulate his morals like that should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

A couple of years ago, having placed a €25 bet , which came in second , I screwed up the docket and put it in the bin. Two weeks later (I'm not a "Regular" punter) the girl that took my bet , called me to the counter and informed me that I was due a refund , as there was a Special on that race. So , all staff should not be tarred with the same brush. BTW I share my luck with her on the rare occasion that I win BIG!!

tomaussie wrote: »

As Manager you were NOT allowed to inform a punter if, for any reason including void, non runners or amended result, that they had money to collect.

Bookies were legally obliged to still pay out on a docket for a 7 year period if I remember correctly.

After that time they could legally claim the money. They could also collect interest on that money for that period of time whole it was sitting in their account and not yours.

Now think of how much money a company like Ladbrokes would be carrying nationally as sleeper bets. All those unclaimed 15p-90p lucky 15 returns that people don't bother collecting.

Biggest unclaimed amount I know of was £500 on a placepot that had a NR or amended result.

Any manager who allows the company to manipulate his morals like that should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

Same rules in Ladcrooks , i havent seen them in writing but all staff are repeatedly told not to inform over late bets , specials etc etc and warned its a serious offence
    risk free money for the book

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Same rules in Ladcrooks , i havent seen them in writing but all staff are repeatedly told not to inform over late bets , specials etc etc and warned its a serious offence
    risk free money for the book
    Well this confirms my suspicions were indeed correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Well this confirms my suspicions were indeed correct.
    maybe the State should snatch the dosh
    similar to dormant accounts in the banks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

pudzy wrote: »
    problem is A) when your horse wins.............. and your bet is late the bet is void .... AND B) if your bet is late and your horse is beaten the bet STANDS.......... joke,,, open your eyes unless you work for LADBROKES see the problem now

THAT HAPPENED TO ME A COUPLE OF TIMES ,WHAT WE HAVE WE HOLD IS BOOKIES MOTTO ON THOSE BETS

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I went into my local ladbrokes last month and was informed by the manager that i had money to collect on unclaimed bets. I had obviously thrown the dockets away but she just got me to rewrite out the 4 bets again in a claim book and i collected €33.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

mountai wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, having placed a €25 bet , which came in second , I screwed up the docket and put it in the bin. Two weeks later (I'm not a "Regular" punter) the girl that took my bet , called me to the counter and informed me that I was due a refund , as there was a Special on that race. So , all staff should not be tarred with the same brush. BTW I share my luck with her on the rare occasion that I win BIG!!

I don't think she is allowed to accept money from punters from winnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

I went into my local ladbrokes last month and was informed by the manager that i had money to collect on unclaimed bets. I had obviously thrown the dockets away but she just got me to rewrite out the 4 bets again in a claim book and i collected €33.

Good. That's exactly what should happen but the staff are trained and warned not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Good. That's exactly what should happen but the staff are trained and warned not to do it.

I wouldn't know it's the only laddies i go into and only because it's close to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

efb wrote: »
    I don't think she is allowed to accept money from punters from winnings

Ah here I always give a tip if I'm taking 300 and above off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

My mate manages one, spoke to him about this yesterday. That's certainly not the way he trains his staff anyway. His view is that the shop will get the money back eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭del roy

Advertisement